Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion

PMA Coverage Main Page >>

It's time for the annual PMA (Photo Marketing Association) tradeshow again. The show takes place in Orlando, Florida, from February 26 to March 1. PMA is where camera manufacturers make most of their major product announcements. In the next couple of weeks we'll start seeing press releases for cameras and other photo-related products that will make their first appearance at PMA. I'll be there, taking pictures of all the new toys, and talking to the manufacturers. Anyone who has special photo requests or any photo gear questions, post them here and I'll do my best to fill your orders. I will be your eyes and ears at PMA.

Here's a link to my 2005 PMA report, including links to the gallery and last year's PMA discussion: 2005 PMA Report Wrap-Up

Check back because this page will be evolving as product announcements are made and PMA-related news comes in.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 02-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

2006 PMA Product Announcements

PMA camera and photo accessory announcements will be posted on the News and Rumors forum and we'll keep a current list here. Check back to see what's been added.

PMA Tradeshow Coverage Main Page >>
    Last edited by aquadog; 03-21-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    Photo-John

Re: 2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion

SONY!! If you find out anything about the new DSLR it would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by payn817

But, of course. I'll be visiting with the Sony people and checking out everything they have to show. I also want to ask them some questions about what's going to happen with the Konica Minolta technology they've acquired.

And I'll also be taking a look at the Samsung digital SLR. I think it's interesting that two 100% consumer electronics manufacturers are coming out with digital SLRs. That shows how the market is changing.
    Photo-John

Really, for me the Olympus 720SW looks very cool. How accurate is the AF in fairly dim light (say, for instance, trade-show lighting...). Also interested in higher ISO's with noise performance. It looks like the ideal kayaking camera. Thanks!

Olympus 720SW

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Really, for me the Olympus 720SW looks very cool. How accurate is the AF in fairly dim light (say, for instance, trade-show lighting...). Also interested in higher ISO's with noise performance. It looks like the ideal kayaking camera. Thanks!
    I'm very interested in that camera, too. And I have an appointment with Olympus. I'll make sure to take a good look at it and I'll be asking for one for review. Because you know it will make a great all-weather mountain bike camera, too
    Photo-John

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

You know we all want a full report ASAP on the 30D

Suggest to them that your favorite nature and wildlife Mod who volunteers at a charitable foundation would love a long term test drive to see if that shutter really makes the 100k mark

Don't laugh, crazier things have happened ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Lowepro DryZone Rover Camera Pack

This was waiting for me when I checked into my motel last night. It's something that outdoor sports photographers like me have been waiting for for a long, long time - a combo hydration/camera backpack. This looks like it may be a keeper. I was skeptical, but everything looks to be in order. In this photo it's pictured between my main camera bag, a Tamrac 5258 backpack, and my Deuter Superbike hydration pack, which I ride with now. There's no way I can ride with the Tamrac, nor would I want to. It's too big and it's got way too much stuff in it. The Deuter has a huge hydration bladder, lots of space, a great harness system, and it fits great. Right now, when I want to take an SLR riding, I put it in a small Tamrac waist pack and put that inside the Deuter. But the Deuter really can't take that much and the camera doesn't ride that well.

I loaded the Lowepro up with a real pro digital body (Canon EOS 1D) with regular zoom attached, a pro 70-200 f/2.8 lens, a flash, and a fisheye lens. That's way more than I ever ride with now. It all fits and the pack feels great on my back.

That's all I'm going to say for now. I'm excited to try this though. On Thursday, after PMA is over, I'm heading north to a mountain bike park, for some R&R, shooting, and new backpack testing. I'm gonna give this thing a workout like no on else has. I might even crash on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion-p1000289.jpg   2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion-p1000295.jpg   2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion-p1000293.jpg   2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion-p1000290.jpg  
    Photo-John

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

That thing looks pretty sweet PJ! I saw that very same bag featured in the new Outdoor Photographer magazine. You MTBers are the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Happy testing!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well if I were into backpacks that would probably work for me too, even though I don't ride bikes of any kind.
    I think what I am going to look at is a belt system. My back can't take the weight of a backpack. The belt system would need to be able to have a few pouches for things like the following:
    1: Card holder - CF and SD cards
    2: Spare batteries (2 1D size batteries)
    3: Pouch for 580EX flash
    4: lens case for Canon 70-200mm (the canon cases just don't work well (both my main lenses fit the same case.
    5: One for the odds and ends such as spare flash betteries, lens cloth & cleaner, blower, etc.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Well if I were into backpacks that would probably work for me too, even though I don't ride bikes of any kind.
    I think what I am going to look at is a belt system. My back can't take the weight of a backpack. The belt system would need to be able to have a few pouches for things like the following:
    1: Card holder - CF and SD cards
    2: Spare batteries (2 1D size batteries)
    3: Pouch for 580EX flash
    4: lens case for Canon 70-200mm (the canon cases just don't work well (both my main lenses fit the same case.
    5: One for the odds and ends such as spare flash betteries, lens cloth & cleaner, blower, etc.

JS
    I think Batman has a system that will work for you, but it only comes in one color.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Think Tank

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    I think what I am going to look at is a belt system. My back can't take the weight of a backpack.
    Have you looked at the Think Tank Photo stuff? They work closely with photojournalists and sports photographers to design their cases. Their belt system looks really nice to me.
    Photo-John

PMA Gallery

I started to post in the 2006 PMA gallery. More to come, tomorrow night:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...allery&x=0&y=0
    Photo-John

Olympus Stylus 720SW

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Really, for me the Olympus 720SW looks very cool.
    I got a first look at the 720SW, last night. I posted a photo in the PMA gallery: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...cat=all&page=3

I have a meeting with Olympus today and that camera is my main interest. I already told them that I am pretty sure I'm going to buy one. I'll find out some more about it for you, although I don't think I'll be able to check image quality. One of the Olympus people was entertaining herself last night, by handing the camera to people and accidentally dropping it on the floor. The shockproofing is a very impressive feature. And yes - the camera did work after being dropped 4 feet
    Photo-John

Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

The Panasonic DMC L-1 SLR looks pretty cool right now. It shares lots of things with the Olympus E-330 (no surprise) like that live view LCD.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonicdmcl1.asp

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Digital SLR

Here it is, in the flesh, so to speak - the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 digital SLR. The new camera is the first non-Olympus camera that's part of the Four Thirds standard. It is the result of a partnership between Panasonic, Olympus, and Leica. I think the real big deal with the DMC-L1 is in the Leica lens. It's got Panasonic Mega O.I.S. image stabilization built into the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens. And the new lens, being part of the Four Thirds standard, will also fit other Four Thirds cameras.

More photos of the new camera and lens are available in the 2006 PMA gallery: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...=534&password=
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 PMA Tradeshow Discussion-img_7220.jpg  
    Photo-John

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: PMA Gallery

What about getting sony to release some info on the DSC-W100 ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by payn817

I'll second that! What is Sony planning to do with the Minolta lineup - and when can we expect further DSLR developments?

Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie
    I'll second that! What is Sony planning to do with the Minolta lineup - and when can we expect further DSLR developments?
    I had a meeting with Sony yesterday. I asked them point-blank about KM technology and their upcoming SLR. They wouldn't say anything about either one. The answer on the SLR is, "Wait until summer." The answer on Konica Minolta is, "We don't know. You'll have to wait and see." Those answers were paraphrased, of course. But basically, they had nothing to say. They do recognize the digital SLR space as growing and important, though. And they definitely want to play. Plus, the R1 is a very nice looking camera. So even without any details, I think we can expect something good. My guess is it will be like an R1 with changeable lenses. And we might reasonably expect a live LCD display, since they did that with the R1.
    Photo-John

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

PJ, could you by any chance find out some more about Nikon Capture NX and Nikon View Pro? I'm particularly interested if they will be coming out as or be updated for Universal Binary for the new Intel macs.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Hey, PJ, hope you're having fun down there. ;) I went to my lab the other day to find out my mentor there is on vacation at the PMA show.

Don't suppose there is anything there to interest us lowly film users is there?
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Film

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    Don't suppose there is anything there to interest us lowly film users is there?
    Fujifilm and Kodak both introduced new pro film emulsions: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...a+film&x=9&y=8

There weren't any new 35mm SLRs, though. And I wouldnt hold my breath for any significant 35mm SLRs in the future. It feels strange to say it, but I think they're done.I can't remember if you are a medium format shooter or not, but Rollei has a couple of new twin lens medium format products that I'll post photos of in a while.
    Photo-John

Nikon Software

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    PJ, could you by any chance find out some more about Nikon Capture NX and Nikon View Pro? I'm particularly interested if they will be coming out as or be updated for Universal Binary for the new Intel macs.
    I didn't have anyone to ask questions, but I'll check into that. I did grab the brochure and under "Requirements," it listed the usual Mac and Windows OS stuff. Honestly, I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Maybe I'll have to do a Google search and get enlightened

Anyway, I'll check with my Nikon contacts and see if I can find out for you. I doubt that Nikon wants to exclude people who plan to buy the new Intel Mac machines.
    Photo-John

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

PJ,

Good stuff so far! That new LowePro backpack, do they have any safety backups built into it in case you pop your bladder? I've been using a LowePro mini trekker and I just stick a bladder inside a water proof bag in the outer pocket of it. I don't really care for that setup and would love to try something that was more designed for this.

I'm curious whether the NX capture will have continue to allow you to shoot tethered to the computer like you could in older versions of capture.

Re: Film

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Fujifilm and Kodak both introduced new pro film emulsions: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...a+film&x=9&y=8

There weren't any new 35mm SLRs, though. And I wouldnt hold my breath for any significant 35mm SLRs in the future. It feels strange to say it, but I think they're done.I can't remember if you are a medium format shooter or not, but Rollei has a couple of new twin lens medium format products that I'll post photos of in a while.

I don't shoot medium format YET, but that is something I want to look into in the future. So any info you can give on new stuff like that would be helpful.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information