ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!!

Re: Welcome!!

Hi. My name is Jerry and I hail from San Diego. I Took up photography as a serious hobby back in the 80's while attending college. Initially very disappointed with the images I got shooting negative film, then realized that I needed to shoot slide film to gain control over my images. :blush2:

Traveled to Asia, Mexico, and all over the Western United States with my faithful Nikon FE2 always at my side. Briefly owned a Leica M3 single stroke camera kit with the whole nine yards, only to realize that it wasn't practical for my needs, not to mention my economic circumstances!

Then a funny thing happened. I got married, settled down and lost my taste for lugging around my camera bag. I first bought a small Olympus point and shoot 35mm film camera, then moved onto digital point and shoot cameras. I now had convenience, but lost that passion for photography.

Just over a year ago, I was recruited to shoot with a Canon DSLR at a church retreat, since I was the guy with the most experience behind an SLR. Needless to say, I was reinfected with the bug!

I currently shoot a Nikon D40 for most everyday stuff. I also pack the old FE2 and a N90s film SLR cameras loaded with Velvia 50 slide film and Fuji 200 speed negatives. Funny thing is, I really enjoy the pace and process of shooting film more each day.

Oh, and I just don't enjoy shooting staged shots. I love catching the extraordinary that slips through the cracks of an ordinary day. Thankfully, there is plenty of it to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by SD-surfcruzr
    I also pack the old FE2 and a N90s film SLR cameras loaded with Velvia 50 slide film and Fuji 200 speed negatives. Funny thing is, I really enjoy the pace and process of shooting film more each day.
    Hi and welcome! Be sure to check out the Film Forum here too. Remember looking at your first box of slides? Pretty amazing stuff compared to neg film in a lot of cases.

Smile Re: Welcome!!

howdy ho
    my name is greg i am just a beginner to photography ,i live in orlando fl.and i am tired of the heat ,and am ready to move back to ohio.i have taken alot of pics over the years but i really enjoy nature and wildlife so i am going to try my hand at that,this seems like a great site with a ton of info,and i need allot of help.

have a great day
    greg

Welcome to PR Greg. I think you will find this a grat place to hang out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hello folks. Jerrod here from Kentucky. I am a newbie to photography, but I am loving it. It is like a therapy to me. I find myself trying to shoot nature, and cars. I'm a car enthusiast at heart, and found photography to be a very close second. I'm on many car forums under the same name. I cant wait to explore the board and all the awesome pictures, learn all I can and share what I can. Thanks.

Hello
    Found your forum by chance and have been lurking for a while. My father bought my first camera when I was 14.I took some pictures, developed b&w film and printed some photos,then for some reason lost interest a few years later. Well I picked up one of my brothers Nikons about five years ago, and fell in love all over again. I'm sure, from the looks of things around here, that there is plenty of knoledge to draw from. I just hope to put it to good use.

Hope to be around for a while and possibly even contribute to this informative sight.

Thanks Strick

Hi Strick and ChevyMan, welcome to PR No need to lurk any longer. Please feel free to jump right in and share some photos or ask any questions you may have.

Happy Shooting,
    Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

We had a "sticky" thread like this one as an index of W/NW picture threads (with no words). I have "unstuck" it but it's right here and also linked in the original post of this thread. Feel free to start any new W/NW threads or add to any already on the list!

Hello

I got interested in photography a couple of years ago, but did not attempt anything until only a few weeks ago. So.... total newbie here =) I just got my Fujifilm s6000 a couple of days ago, and have a loooong way to go. This place seems... emm.... nicer than some other critique websites i've seen, so I plan to stick around =)

Hi Matilda, welcome to PR I think you will find this to be a very friendly place. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the only person that bites is Frog but, that's only if he's hungry and you... ahhh... look like a fly (cue crickets for a bad joke ) Please feel free to jump right in with any questions you may have or post any pics you may want to share :thumbsup:

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    Hello

I got interested in photography a couple of years ago, but did not attempt anything until only a few weeks ago. So.... total newbie here =) I just got my Fujifilm s6000 a couple of days ago, and have a loooong way to go. This place seems... emm.... nicer than some other critique websites i've seen, so I plan to stick around =)
    Hi Matilda,
    I've already had the pleasure of seeing a couple of your images in the Critique Forum. I'm looking forward to more and glad you found us.
    Take a look at the rest of the site while your here. The reviews section is great for finding out about gear and new products and can be very helpful when deciding on a new purchase. The Learning section is packed with great lessons and tips to help you improve upon what you already may know.
    You will get alot out of this site. See you in the Forums!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hello everyone,
    First post here and just wanted to say hi and tell everyone how much I enjoy photo forums. I've been a shooting professional now for about 12 yrs; shooting local sports for a small weekly newspaper here in northwest IL. I'm also a registered member of photography on the net forums and have learned, shared, bought and sold on that forum. Am looking forward to another new forum experience. Have fun all and happy shooting! Sportsdude25

Hello everyone.

My name is Jerry. I live in Chicago. I'm very new to photography, but after 2 years of cross-country motorcycle trips I really wanted to capture the amazing things I've seen.

I bought what I hope is enough gear to get me started properly, and just found this site today. (Tons of info BTW!!)

If anyone can think of anything else I'd need please don't hesitate to comment.

Canon Rebel EOS XTI
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens
    1- 4G Ultra III CF card
    2- 8G Ultra III CF card
    Spare battery
    Canon Speedlite 430EX
    and a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW Sling Bag to hold it all.

I'm headed to Hawaii next week, hopefully I'll have some nice images to share!

Hi Jerry, I think you have a nice selection of lenses to choose from there. One thing I notice though is you have some serious overlap in focal length between your EF-S 18-55 lens, and your EF 17-40 L glass. I would consider leaving the EF-S lens at home, and bring the "L" in it's place.
    Enjoy your trip to Hawaii.
    -Bruce

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the boards! Looks like you've got an incredible setup there. I can't wait to see what you capture with it. The only things I would recommend are 1) a tripod if you're looking for maximum sharpness when time allows and 2) a circular polarizer to help bring out your skies.

Best of luck and welcome to the boards!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Hello Sportsdude and welcome to the forums! We look forward to seeing your work here!

Enjoy our forums!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the boards! Looks like you've got an incredible setup there. I can't wait to see what you capture with it. The only things I would recommend are 1) a tripod if you're looking for maximum sharpness when time allows and 2) a circular polarizer to help bring out your skies.

Best of luck and welcome to the boards!
    Rick
    Thanks for the input Ballen Photo, and Walterick. I was considering the same thing RE: the lenses.

And Walterick, I neglected to mention I have UV and polarizer filters for all the lenses. How crucial is the tripod going to be? I'm trying to stay lightly packed.
    Canon Rebel EOS XTI
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens

Tripods are an absolute must for night or low-light photos (such as a Hawaiian sunset/sunrise). If you plan on only shooting outdoors during the day time, you can do without. I have a $20 Wal-mart tripod that is all-aluminum (light) and collapses down to a/b 1.5ft - it's not high quality, but it's light and it holds the camera still.

And it's great to have another rider on the board! I'm all offroad right now, though.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry XTi
    How crucial is the tripod going to be? I'm trying to stay lightly packed.
    Personally, I'd say very crucial but that has a lot to do with my shooting style - and I don't know yours. So, it depends on what you're trying to do but if I had the choice I'd choose a tripod over another lens.

Welcome to the site!

Hi all.
    My name is Pedro and I'm a photography fan.
    Started with an old practica camera several years ago and then switched to a minolta 500.
    Now i'm using an Olympus FE-230. Little camera that takes some decent pictures.
    Going to upgrade my gear soon with a digital SLR and get back to my old minolta days .

what's up everyone

My name is Al and I recently started taking photography seriously as a hobby. I'm outdoors a lot (e.g., kayaking, backpacking, hiking, rock climbing...), and figure it would be nice to start taking pictures of the places I go to on a decent camera instead of my p&s. Actually, I felt like I took semi-decent pics on my p&s, so I decided to move up to a dSLR.

Was reading through the forum, and it looks really active and friendly - so I decided to sign up.

Hi Pedro, and welcome! I hope you enjoy the forums and when the time comes I hope we can help you choose your new DSLR.

I do have some bad news for you however, Minolta has folded as a company and is no longer making new cameras. You still have plenty of options however as Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Canon and Nikon are all producing quality equipment. Good luck with your decision!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hi Al! We're glad you signed up, please enjoy the forums. If you haven't reviewed your new DSLR yet, please consider taking the time! The reviews help our site tremendously.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Well, I see I have been remiss in checking this thread so Just will say hello and welcome to ALL the new members.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by albot976
    I'm outdoors a lot (e.g., kayaking
    CASKA or Prairie Coast member by any chance? Hi and welcome to another "local"!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information