ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

London in early January

I've been to London before, with my camera, and got some nice shots. But I'm looking for more suggestions where to go for good shots.

Any suggestions on mustn't-miss places or times?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: London in early January

London is nice. Soho by night is a must! And the Bridges!!!! Bring your tripod!

But personally, Cambridge blew my mind away! I do not know how it would look like during the winter season though. Coaches are leaving the Queen Elizabeth train station on a regular basis and are quite affordable. Once in Cambrdge, you do not need any other form of transportation than your two feet. 1 day is all it takes. If you have the guts, go on the Cam river in one of their punt (small river boat)! You will have great shots of the different colleges (in particular St John and King's college) from the river banks.

I have attached (uninspired) pics for illustration.

Hope you'll have fun!

Cheers,

Steph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London in early January-corpus-christi-screen.jpg   London in early January-kings-college-screen.jpg   London in early January-punters-screen.jpg  

On a Friday or Saturday morning I would suggest taking your camera along to Borough Market (nearest tubes are London Bridge, or Borough!). It's a food market and has loads of great stuff, so you should have fun, and get some good shots as well.

I mentioned in one of my posts that you ought to go to the top of Primrose Hill for a good view of the London skyline (nearset tube is Chalk Farm). The nearby Regent's Park Road is very quaint, so you may find something to shoot there, and if nothing else there are some great pubs nearby (try The Engineer, they do a good Bloody Mary on a cold day).

For something more urban you could try Hoxton/Shoreditch. A lot of the 'grittier' artists and photographers are based in this area, so you often come across interesting galleries and exhibitions while you looking for things to shoot yourself. Good bars round this area as well, and its not at all touristy. Stay away from the tourist traps in the West End, the world doesn't need any more photos of pigeons in Trafalgar Square

But most of all, have a great time.

matt

Can I come? I won't eat much and will ride in your suitcase?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Adina! I actually don't have a roommate and am paying a hefty single supplement fee because of it ...

You can eat whatever you like. I always buy too much at the grocery store anyway, because it's all such interesting looking food. Then I end up at one of those wonderful Indian restaurants they have over there, and never get to cook my food I bought.

But I don't think you'd fit in my suitcase. Maybe on the way over, yes, but definitely you wouldn't fit on the way back. I usually have to buy another suitcase just to tote my new coats/sweaters/scarves back home again. They have great Christmas sales this time of year.

Dear Kelly,

One of the prettiest places I have been to in London is Greenwich. They have lovely rose gardens there, beautiful commons, and lots of old buildings. If you don't mind going a little out of your way, you could also hit Oxford. A very grand old place, with very lovely gardens and canals. In January I don't know what the trees and things will be like, I went in Oct-Nov. Still and all, have fun. London and the surrounding areas are great for photos.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I won't eat much
    Remember, the British conquered the world in search of a good meal...

Kelly, my sister lived in London for ten years. Anything specific you're looking for? I'd be glad to ask her. Only been there once myself, I told her to keep the flat - oh well...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_B
    Coaches are leaving the Queen Elizabeth train station on a regular basis and are quite affordable.
    I think you'll find they leave Victoria Coach station, across the road from the far end of (quite a walk) Victoria railway station.

Both Cambridge and Oxford are worth a visit, if you have time.
    Also Stratford on Avon, go see Shakespeare's birthplace and the other sights there.
    That's another day trip from Londinium.

Now, in London? That's hard because I have a "I'm not a tourist, I live here" badge ;)
    Do you want to do touristy things? Hyde Park, Regents Park Zoo, Tower of London perhaps?
    Westminster, the embankment, the artists (on Sunday) along the edge of Hyde Park (Bayswater Road I think).
    Then there's the South Bank, the National Theatre etc. Perhaps the museums.
    and of course shopping - Harrods, Hamleys (toys), Oxford street, Regent street.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Dzerzhinski, funny you mention those places. I've been to both. Went up to Greenwich one day, but only had about an hour to prowl around before catching the last boat back. I got some late afternoon shots of the Cutty Sark, and a shot or two of the streets, and one of the observatory on the hill. But you're right, the town is very pretty, and I should go back for more.

I *drove* through Oxford last year, on my way to the Cotswolds. Whoo-hoo! Don't wanna do that again though, too stressful. I kept putting my friend and passenger almost up on the curb, because I'm not used to allowing so much space on my left side. Anyway, the day was as dreary as can be, so the pictures I took were really lousy. I'm considering taking a bus tour up there, to go through the university and such.

I've filled a CD of pictures of Bath, again in the cold rain, so none of them are keepers. I've got some from Kenwood House and Hampstead Heath, of which one shot of Kenwood House at sunset is simply stunning. Wasn't too thrilled with the Hampstead Heath shots of London though.

My favorite shots were of the Thames at night. Took a bunch of keepers while on a London Walks Pub tour, down along the south bank. I've also got a great shot of the Russell Hotel through snow-covered branches.

I think I'm not interested in the tourist-y stuff. I don't want to come home with a bunch of pictures of spires and towers. I want to capture a sense of PLACE while there, but London is such a diverse, international city that I'm not sure quite what to focus on. Any winter events that I maybe shouldn't miss? I was thinking of catching the New Years Eve fireworks at the Millenium Eye, but I'm not sure if I really want to battle the crowds alone. (I was also pondering whether to catch a show at the Comedy Store that night, but again, not sure if I want to venture into such a show alone.) I could always sign up for a River Cruise that night ... drop £200 (almost $400) just to avoid the crowds and still catch the fireworks, and have a good meal to boot.

Thanks for your suggestions though! It makes me feel good to know that I've managed to hit all the good spots without really trying.

Lightbulb Re: London in early January

Dear Kelly,

How funny ! Greenwich in fall is perhaps the best time of year to see it, what with all the trees and things. I just had an idea though. If you were willing to shell out a little more cash (not much if I remember rightly), you could take the train up to York, and spend the day there. There is the old city walls (I have walked on them, very interesting), the York Minster (well worth seeing, you can go on the roof, my dad lost his lens cap while up on the roof, the cap is still there probably , ask me about it some other time), and the old section of the city with the cobbles and everything. Many consider the York minster better than Cantebury, and it certainly is impressive, well kept and beautiful. Lots of nice gargoyles too. I am not sure how you would get from the train station at York into town, but I suppose there is always a cab (why wouldn't there be? ). If you can't make it you won't hurt my feelings, but it is well worth a day trip. Just another wonderful option that might entice you back to "Merrie Olde England" . Good luck! ;)

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Adina! I actually don't have a roommate and am paying a hefty single supplement fee because of it ...

You can eat whatever you like. I always buy too much at the grocery store anyway, because it's all such interesting looking food. Then I end up at one of those wonderful Indian restaurants they have over there, and never get to cook my food I bought.

But I don't think you'd fit in my suitcase. Maybe on the way over, yes, but definitely you wouldn't fit on the way back. I usually have to buy another suitcase just to tote my new coats/sweaters/scarves back home again. They have great Christmas sales this time of year.
    And you taunt me with after Christmas sales!

I would love to take that trip. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the money. So I'll just be here in chilly Wisconsin, with no snow, looking forward to your pictures...

sigh......
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I've been to London before, with my camera, and got some nice shots. But I'm looking for more suggestions where to go for good shots.

Any suggestions on mustn't-miss places or times?
    I have to stop off in London at Christmas. When planning any excursions I bear in mind that the sun sets at 3.30pm. That makes a short day.

Have fun in London. I'll probably be in Rome for 3 months...

Charles

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I think you'll find they leave Victoria Coach station, across the road from the far end of (quite a walk) Victoria railway station..
    You're absolutely right of course. My bad.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Suggestions for London itself;

Canary Wharf, spectacular buildings, especially with the docklands light railway running through it.

St Katharine's Dock next to Tower Bridge

British Museum

The riverside at night, go to Waterloo Bridge and look upstream to the Eye and the Hungerford Bridge

If you do go out of town to Cambridge, I wouldn't go by coach, the train is much faster, approx 1hour from Kings Cross

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Thread Information