Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

London - Church Door

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any comments about this image, which is a little bit different to the darker street shots I posted earlier.

It was taken on a weekend when I was wandering through the centre of the City of London (the 'financial' part of London). It was all rather eerie and deserted, and the light was coming and going. I'd sat down for a moment when the sun broke out, and threw this shadow over the door of the church I was next to. Its a very old church, squeezed between huge financial headquarters, but this doorway is a more recent renovation. In the full size image you can see the writing above the door, but I don't think that will come out here. It says "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away".

I'm not religious at all, but it was a nice moment, and I thought it was worth grabbing.

Thanks,

matt

Seb

Re: London - Church Door

Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any comments about this image, which is a little bit different to the darker street shots I posted earlier.

It was taken on a weekend when I was wandering through the centre of the City of London (the 'financial' part of London). It was all rather eerie and deserted, and the light was coming and going. I'd sat down for a moment when the sun broke out, and threw this shadow over the door of the church I was next to. Its a very old church, squeezed between huge financial headquarters, but this doorway is a more recent renovation. In the full size image you can see the writing above the door, but I don't think that will come out here. It says "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away".

I'm not religious at all, but it was a nice moment, and I thought it was worth grabbing.

Thanks,

matt
    I think that you crafted a very nice picture here. The lighting is beautiful and I like the composition. However, I get distracted by the door being tilted. Hopefully, this can be fixed very easily.

Seb

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Matt,

I think this is a wonderful picture. I love the lighting and the shadow kind of draping over the door. The shadow kind of lends the sense of a spirit or old man looking over the church. It's awesome.

Your experience of the place adds to the gravity of this image. I can't imagine there being skyscrapers on either side of it! You've done an excellent job of isolating this entity from its environment and producing an image that feels like it belongs in the countryside, far away from urban environments.

Well done!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Great. Composition is very good and the lighting and shadows make it very interesting.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thank you for the kind comments.

Seb - The tilted door was a bit of a problem, the street and the old church wall were at strange angles, and I think you can see a little of the converging vertical effect that came with me taking the photo crouching down and looking slightly up. I hoped that with an old building this extra 'quirkiness' wouldn't be too much of a problem.

For anyone interested, I did a quick search on the web and found a home page for this church, its St Helen's in Bishopsgate.

http://www.st-helens.org.uk/

There is a picture on the home page that gives you an idea of this little church in the context of its surroundings.

regards

matt

Thread Information