Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: London at Night

London at Night

Just a couple of shots I took last night in London. It is the first time I have taken digital shots at night, I have done a little post-processing.

How could I improve?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London at Night-hungerford-bridge.jpg   London at Night-london-eye-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Just a couple of shots I took last night in London. It is the first time I have taken digital shots at night, I have done a little post-processing.

How could I improve?
    WOW I see great shot's that needs no improvement.
    Piet

*swoon* I love taking shots of London at night!!!

These are good! I love the play of the lights and the shadows in the first one. I love how you've captured the colors (blues) in both.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

They're both good shots. I think I like the first better because it's a bit more dynamic. In general they're good exposures. Sharp, colorful and interesting.

The one thing you could do on the first image is to do some very minor cropping along the left side, and selective desaturation of the yellow "channel", as those sodium vapor lamps really put a big yellow cast on everything. Which, to a point is what you want at night, but I think it's become a bit of a distraction on the left side of the image because of your proximity to the lamp. I might try to pull that back just a tad along the bridge and around the lamp itself.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

GB1
    The Ferris wheel is really nice.. you must have shot this when they stopped for awhile (?), for its super sharp!

As far as the composition/perspective, the Ferris wheel pic is a bit disturbing to me. I just can't accept the cropping.. it seems cramped at the top of the shot, and too much negative space at the sides. Did you mess up? No, you didn't, there probably wasn't much you could do about it here other than go vertical orientation, which might help but I'm not sure..

Sorry, seems like I've pointed out a problem but offer no solution (maybe one will come to my head later).

-- gb

Beware: Mom With Camera

Beautiful! You have made me miss London.

There is nothing quite as beautiful as the Thames at night.
    Kate

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper

How could I improve?
    Hello Sleeper,

The colours all alone make this shots works as far as I am concerned. There is a nice, somewhat unreal mood to both of them.

I agree fully with GB1 about the ferris wheel picture. If it was physically possible, I would have shot this one a bit further back to gain space over the wheel and then make a square crop of it. Just a thought.

Seb

Sleeper, where did you stand to get the one of the London Eye?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information