Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Leadenhall Market - London

I've not tried posting an image before, so I'm rather concerned that this won't work, or will blow up in my face somehow!

If it does work, you should be able to see an image I took at Leadenhall Market, in the City of London. It was taken using my Yashica T4-Zoom, and scanned on to the computer, so unfortunately it has lost detail, particularly at this size.

I'm just starting out in photography as a hobby, and any comments are welcome.

Thank you

Re: Leadenhall Market - London

Hi Matt

the light is very nice in this photo, and the details are there, bar perhaps the ground floor shops on the right, but seeing as this is only a scan, they are probably there in the original.

the angle of view is good as it brings you in and invites you around the corner, although i am a little weighed down by it all. Your viewpoint seems to be very low, and this creates a heaviness to the picture, imo. there is a little too much road for me. It's a tight space and i think with somewhere like this you really need a corrective lens to sort out the perspective, or else try to get up onto a higher footing........................

.......i hope this is of help to you, as the picture is very good, but just needs a few tweaks to help it.

nice work
    anew.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

This is nicely done. My eye is drawn towards the end of the Hall. However, the cobblestones is not as sharp as it should be. I am also 'intimidated' by the low viewpoint. I feel like a kid again! I would suggest a slight-to-moderate crop on the bottom to alleviate this.

Nice pic. Never been there, even though I went to London a few times. Looks neat.

Thanks for sharing,

Steph.

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

You spotted the problem I have with this, the large amount of not very interesting space at the bottom of the picture. It was the light and the structure of the roof (reminding me of a spine or ribcage) that drew me to it, and I hoped the the silhouette of the figure at the end might give just enough 'human interest' for your eye to settle on. I was roughly using the rule of thirds to place the figure as it seemed to balance the picture, but unfortunately at the expense of that rather dull road.

I might go back some time to see if I can work out a better composition. I was crounching down as you noticed, and that may have been a mistake.

Thanks again. As this worked I may try posting another shot

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    I've not tried posting an image before, so I'm rather concerned that this won't work, or will blow up in my face somehow!

If it does work, you should be able to see an image I took at Leadenhall Market, in the City of London. It was taken using my Yashica T4-Zoom, and scanned on to the computer, so unfortunately it has lost detail, particularly at this size.

I'm just starting out in photography as a hobby, and any comments are welcome.

Thank you
    This is a very good architectural photograph. I enjoy pretty much everything about it. I am trying to figure out if the low viewpoint annoy me or not. Arguably, there is a lot of road in the foreground but if you overlook this aspect, the viewpoint compliment the architecture quite well (I think). If you are not too concerned about keeping a conventional ratio, I would simply crop a part of the bottom and keep the picture as it is.

Seb

Thread Information