ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!!

Re: Welcome!!

Hi every one I am new here am in Berlin Germany and I hope
    to learn a bit more about photography.
    I have a RICOH RZ-II5 it is made in Malaysia
    it summer now so I want to take some great pic
    with advice and tips I hope to pick up here

Quote Originally Posted by mrmanhoman213
    Hi every one I am new here am in Berlin Germany and I hope
    to learn a bit more about photography.
    I have a RICOH RZ-II5 it is made in Malaysia
    it summer now so I want to take some great pic
    with advice and tips I hope to pick up here
    Welcome. Post your best photos and ask for advice. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

i am glad to be here. thanks

Hrrm, so I've been here what a couple weeks now and just noticed this thread. Well, I'm from Sacramento, CA. I started getting more interested in photography when I bought my first SLR a Canon EOS 1000F/N (still have) the European equivilent of a Canon Rebel SII while in port in Hong Kong in the early 90's while in the US Navy.

Around 2002 I was given a digital P&S for Christmas and kind of fell away from film and the SLR. Recently got interested in photography again and after deciding the pics from my digital (HP photosmart 812) were really quite bad (noisy) I started looking at DSLR's and found this site. So here I am and as of last weekend with a Canon XSi + kit lens and 75-300 EF added on.

Hi All.

Joined Forum June 2009 ie Today ... LOL ....
    Have two cameras, Canon IXUS 80IS and a JVC GZ-HD300 AVCHD Camcorder.
    Brought them this month so having to learn how to use them ... IS going to be fun I hope.

Nick name Im using is cos Im an Oldie (60) and have new(b) stuff .. LOL ...

Live in Australia, married, have Four kids and 5 Grand Kids.... Have lots of things to film and photograph especially the grandkids etc ... Will be doing some weddings ahortly with the new Camcorder, cant wait to do that with the new High Definition associated with it.

Am using Vegas Movie Studio - Platinum Pro, just brought also and Im learning the hard way. But Im loving it. Have been using Computers for 30+ years and have been doing basic video producing and editing for about 8 years. I have been using a Panasonic NV DS65A tape based camera for that long without any problems.

Anyway thats enough about boring old me, hope I get to login here a lot and learn lots and maybe even be able to help sometimes with queries, who knows.

In case you haven't noticed I am definitely an amateur photographer/filmmaker but I love it...

hopefully catch up with lots of you soon ....

See yas ...

OldieNewb ( You can call me Bluey ... LOL)

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Welcome to all the new photographers.....hoping to see and learn from all of you!!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Felix and i am from Singapore in the Asia Pacific. More specifically within South East Asia.

I have been playing with photgraphy since my early 20s and have owned various SLRs like the Cosina CT-1S, the Chinon CP-7m, the Pentax Z-20, the DLSRs like the K10D and now the K20D. I have also got my hands on a mint MZ-S Titanium body as well as a Z-1 SE body recently only.

I hope to inprove my photography as I stopped after my son was born. (film that is). Now I am back in to digital and find that i still have lots to catch up on.

Welcome to everyone and please take the time to check out all the forums on our site! I think you will find a lot of friendly, helpful folks that hang out here. Ask all the questions you can think of because the answers always help many more members than the one that ask the question. Welcome aboard, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello and welcome felix! Getting more people joining up from SE asia.

I had a Chinon Cp7. My son is using it now.
    Keep Shooting!

G'day all, nice eclectic lot here, will spend some time looking around and learning, I'm an Olympus tragic , have an E300 =Kit lens's +70-300 Zuiko I'm playing with , and would LOVE to get an E620. I'll ask later what all think of my cunning plan. ( If you want lots of picks of Kangaroos, Wombats, Walllaby's Emus and Crocks....:thumbsup: ) Just kidding.. Thanks for allowing me to join.. Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Lang
    G'day all, nice eclectic lot here, will spend some time looking around and learning, I'm an Olympus tragic , have an E300 =Kit lens's +70-300 Zuiko I'm playing with , and would LOVE to get an E620. I'll ask later what all think of my cunning plan. ( If you want lots of picks of Kangaroos, Wombats, Walllaby's Emus and Crocks....:thumbsup: ) Just kidding.. Thanks for allowing me to join.. Lang
    Welcome, Lang. Looking forward to some shots. Don't see many Kangaroos, Wombats, Walllabys, Emus and Crocks around Chicago. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Eager Photo Beaver

Hi! I'm Samantha! I'm just getting started in my photographic explorations, and have hit the ground running, but I'm eager to learn more and to get some constructive criticism of my work so I can improve. Currently taking a couple photography classes to boost my skillset, but the best teacher is simply shoot, shoot, shoot!

I use a Canon Digital Rebel XS, and have become quite attached to it in the few months I've had it.

Looking forward to learning lots!

Quote Originally Posted by BundleOfGlee
    Hi! I'm Samantha! I'm just getting started in my photographic explorations, and have hit the ground running, but I'm eager to learn more and to get some constructive criticism of my work so I can improve. Currently taking a couple photography classes to boost my skillset, but the best teacher is simply shoot, shoot, shoot!
    Hello Samantha, WELCOME here. You've got the right idea; Shoot, shoot, shoot, and don't be afraid to ask for critique. This is what helps us all learn. :thumbsup:
    -Bruce

Hello Everyone,

It's been years since I spent much time with a camera. During college at Ohio University in the late '60s and '70s, I owned a Canon A1 w/35-105mm Canon macro-zoom lens and Speedlite flash. So, you see, I have been away for awhile

During my 30+ year hiatus from "serious hobby" photography, I have kept up with computers and electronics on Linux, Mac, and Windows systems. Nearing retirement now, I'm committed to once again become a dedicated "photobug."

I currently play with a handy Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX8, when I can snatch it from my wife's purse. So, within the next year I'll be looking for a new Nikon or Canon DSLR and a lens which is like my old Canon 35/105mm. It seemed to provide me with a good single-lens solution for landscape and portrait shots.

Also, I'll be dropping in from time to time here to snoop around and to pick up suggestions regarding the better camera choices for a serious hobbyist.

Thanks in advance . . . and "Hello" once again.

Regards,
    Jim

Welcome, Jim. Sounds a bit like my story in that you're picking it up again after some years off. I started again 3 years ago and have learned a lot of stuff here.
    Hope to see you on the boards soon and great people here to answer question.
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks for the kind welcome, Frog. I'll take your sage advice :thumbsup:

Hello everybody, I am Rasha from Alexandria, Egypt. I've been efficiently (i.e, trying to learn about manual cameras, light, techniques) interested in photography for around 4 years. I own 3 RFs Fed 2,3 and a Ricoh 500GX. An SLR Minolta XG-M with 4 lenses (24, 35, 50 zoom 70-150 mm lenses) I also have a digital Sony H2 and a point and shoot, but I don't use that anymore (Canon).
    I've recently graduated (Nuclear and Radiation engineer) but have yet to find the job.

I want to learn how to process films on my own, improve my post processing techniques and try a different format, learn some new tricks, there are many things one can learn in photography, I am a gear head in general, i am looking forward to share my photographs with you and learn more. And maybe I could be usefull too.

Take care everyone.

Hi all,

My name is Ken and I am originally from the south west area of the UK but I now live in Adelaide in South Australia, having relocated from the UK almost 36 years ago. I have been retired since 1993.

I have been interested in photography for years, my first camera was a film camera that used a 120 roll film which produced contact prints 2.25 inches square so that will tell you how long ago that was. I eventually updated to 35mm and later to digital when that became popular. I have owned several digital cameras in the past but 4 weeks ago I bought the Sony A300 DSLR with the 3.5-5.6 / 18-70 and 4.5-5.6 / 75-300 kit lenses.

However my greatest interest is landscapes so now I am considering an ultra wide angle lens such as Sony’s 10-20mm or the Tamron 10-24 F3.5-4.5. I would love the Carl Zeiss UWA but I’m afraid that is out of my price range.

I absolutely love my Sony A300, it is by far the best camera that I have owned and it is also the most complicated, but I find the learning to be both enjoyable and challenging. I would welcome any additional advice and help from members of this forum.

Cheers, Ken.

Welcome! I recommend posting one or two of your shots and asking for input. I have found this to be the best way to learn. Also, consider some of the used Minolta lenses - can't beat the color from Minolta glass on your Sony body. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

OK, here's hoping this works!

I'm Steve (!) haven't had a "proper" camera since the old Canon eos5 about 10yrs ago. Had a P&S Casio, got frustrated with the quality, have just splashed out on a Canon G10 in anticipation of a trip to NZ later in the year. Here's a couple from the first use of it, a weekend in London (Tennis and Kew).

This is using the autostitch feature in the camera, with Canon's bundled stitching software. A bit more practise and you might not be able to see the joins! I'm impressed by how easy it was, because I thought I'd messed it up whilst shooting. Everything on auto (1/640, f4.0)

This is from the following day in kew - manual, cropped a little, no other manipulation, just -2/3rd stop. (1/500, f4.5). Could still be a bit more detail in the highlights?

Love the camera, can't wait to learn more about it!

Steve

hm. hope these aren't too big.

I NEED A NEW CAMERA!!!!!!!!

Hi my name is Mike and I like to take photos of city buses and skyscrapers, among trillions of other stuff, but I don't have a camera of MY own so I'm trying to save up for one.

Greetings! I have had an interest in photography as long as I can remember. Back in the early 80's I purchased a minolta slr and took a basic class in photography. Life moved on and so did the camera. Last year my interest resurfaced and I purchased a nikon D60 with 2 kit lenses. Only recently has life really allowed me to start learning how to use it.
    I look forward to reading everyones post here and learning as much as I can.

Regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Welcome! I recommend posting one or two of your shots and asking for input. I have found this to be the best way to learn. Also, consider some of the used Minolta lenses - can't beat the color from Minolta glass on your Sony body. - TF
    Thanks for the welcome Clicker, I have the 18-70 and 75-300 Sony kit lenses but I plan to have a look around the 2nd hand market, hopefully I can find a lens just a little wider which I can use for scenic shots,.. are there any specific Minolta lenses which you can suggest?, I am very much a DSLR learner,...and I also have to work out how to post images.
    Cheers, Ken

I'm not big on wide - I seldom shoot under 70mm - but here are some recommendations, etc. cut & paste from and old post. - TF
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    All of the old Auto-Focus (AF) Minolta lenses - also known as the a-mount or, now, the alpha-mount - will work on your A200. Older Manual-Focus Minolta lenses with the SR-mount (mostly labeled MD or MC) will not fit on the camera. Here is a data base of the AF lenses.

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php

And this one has most everything for the Minolta Maxxum/Sony a-mount systems.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

The kit lens is certainly capable of taking great photos, but it is not the best - even among the lower grade lenses. If you work with it, learn its limitations and how to get around them, you will have learned a lot about photography. Most alpha owners pick up a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 early on because they can be cheap and provide a good low-light start. Some used lens places:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...us&cat3=Lenses

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...al&cat3=Lenses

http://www.photographyreview.com/Com...2847/KBID/3790

And, of course Ebay (but be careful).

Here are a few Guides - take them for what they’re worth.

http://reviews.ebay.com/The-Best-Max...00000000911239

http://reviews.ebay.com/Maxxum-70-21...00000000751723

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Detec...00000001005542

http://reviews.ebay.com/Top-Minolta-...00000007572656

http://reviews.ebay.com/LENSES-amp-A...00000001549787

http://reviews.ebay.com/Sony-Alpha-M...00000004652715

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information