Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Nikon D7000 tips

Each time I purchase a new camera I make an attempt to learn as much about it's different functions as possible and get my monies worth out of the equipment but many people just learn enough to get by and go no further. Due to the fact that my research on line to find tips and information out about the Nikon D7000 didn't turn up much I came up with the idea to write a thread and give other as much information and tips about the D7000 as I could. About once a week another tip is added with the idea that D7000 owners will have a place to go for helpful information and to be able to learn more about their camera. If you have the time you might want to start a thread about your camera so you can help others also, Jeff

The Virtual Horizon on your camera will help you get all your pictures level and eliminate them slanting to the right or left. I thought that the Virtual Horizon only worked in the live mode on the LCD screen. I just figured out that it can show up in the viewfinder if you set it up. As I find out things about my D7000 I will post them here. If you already know what I post just disregard my thread but hopefully maybe some of the things I find out and post will be new to more members than just myself. If you have a tip that you would like to share please feel free to send it to me and I will write it up and add it to the list. I can be contacted by Email or PM by clicking on "Grandpaw" just above my picture on the left hand side of this post, Jeff

NOTE: many of the tips will also work on other Nikon models.

This is how to get the virtual horizon to show up in the viewfinder.
    Go to custom settings in menu
    F- controls
    F3 assign button. I assigned the FN button for this.
    Highlight virtual horizon and press OK

At the bottom of the viewfinder the light meter shows over and under exposure. If you press the button you assigned on the camera and the meter will change to the virtual horizon mode. It will look the same as the exposure looked but if you tilt your camera down left or right you will see the effect on the meter at the bottom of your viewfinder. The Virtual Horizon will stay active until you take a picture or your meter times out. I thought the virtual horizon only worked in the live mode with the LCD screen. I found this to be helpful and hope you do also, Jeff

Starting today (April 14th 2012) I will start keeping a list of the different tips here in case you wish to come back and re read a TIP in this thread so it will be easier to locate them. Hope this helps you out, Jeff

COMPLETE LIST OF TIPS

Tip #1 The Virtual Horizon
    Tip #2 Nikon built in flash adjustment
    Tip #3 Where was the focus point of my picture
    Tip #4 Menus driving you nuts My Menu
    Tip #5 Manuals hard to understand Digitutor
    Tip #6 Saving all your setting for your favorite type of shooting U1 & U2
    Tip #7 Reducing noise in your pictures
    Tip #8 Need faster FLASH SYNC SPEED than 1/250??
    Tip #9 You might consider a battery grip and this is why
    Tip #10 Capturing the natural look or mood with photos taken inside by using fill flash
    Tip #11 When to use different flash fill modes and what they do
    Tip #12 Additional observation or thought for the tip in my post #10
    Tip #13 Some reasons to add an external flash to your list of equipment
    Tip #14 Ever wish you had access to your camera manual while you were out shooting?
    Tip #15 Lighting up the rear LCD display
    Tip #16 Easy was to change your ISO setting in aperture mode
    Tip #17 Ever need to get your active focus point back to the center quickly?
    Tip #18 Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote
    Tip #19 Having trouble with the auto focus in low light
    Tip #20 Using the auto ISO setting and setting the minimum shutter speed
    Tip #21 Discovering blown out areas quickly while you are still shooting so you can correct your mistakes
    Tip #22 Getting your own custom look to your pictures
    Tip #23 Wanting to compare two or more pictures up close
    Tip #24 Customizing your metering system
    Tip #25 Adding copyright information to the EXIF data of each of your pictures
    Tip #26 Quick check all your settings BEFORE each time you shoot
    Tip #27 Getting a custom white balance
    Tip #28 Is your camera a pain in the neck?
    Tip #29 Viewing your pictures, menus, or info on the rear LCD screen
    Tip #30 Saving custom white balance settings
    Tip #31 Getting the rear LCD screen to stay on as long as you need it
    Tip #32 Another option to navigate menus with, other than the multi selector button
    Tip #33 If you use a wide angle lens you may find this tip very helpful
    Tip #34 Does part of your pictures disappear when you have enlargements made?
    Tip #35 Ever consider trying "Active D Lighting" or "Regular D Lighting"
    Tip #36 Getting a custom look to your pictures under many different situations
    Tip #37 Resetting your Nikon SB 800 flash back to normal operation
    Tip #38 What is the Diopter, where is it and what does it do
    Tip #39 Finding a photo on your memory card in the camera
    Tip #40 Try converting photos to black and white for a different look & feel
    Tip #41 This tip is for people shooting more than one model camera
    Tip $42 A simple tip that may save you money and headaches
    Tip #43 Setting your camera to take a picture only after focus has been acquired
    Tip #44 Beware of UFOs when changing lenses
    Tip #45 Sometimes your rear LCD screen lighting up is annoying to others
    Tip #46 Sometimes you may not want the flash to fire in AUTO mode
    Tip #47 Accidentally shooting without a memory card in the camera
    Tip #48 Ever wonder just what a particular menu selection does?
    Tip #49 You may find turning on the grid display in the viewfinder helpful
    Tip #50 My focus point needs to stay active longer
    Tip #51 After a couple of shots my flash quit working
    Tip #52 Obtaining FOCUS LOCK and EXPOSURE LOCK separately
    Tip #53 Ever have the EV setting seem to change by itself?
    Tip #54 Seeing your ISO in the viewfinder
    Tip #55 Assigning the role played by the second SD slot
    Tip #56 I think I might give the video a try
    Tip #57 Getting some help with manual focusing
    Tip #58 Be careful adjusting the brightness of the rear LCD screen
    Tip #59 Adjusting exposure compensation
    Tip #60 Tired of having to hold a button down while turning a dial to make adjustment
    Tip #61 Reversing your "-"minus and "+"plus indicators
    Tip #62 Quick check list to use before shooting
    Tip #63 Using Live View to frame your shot and get correct exposure
    Tip #64 Try this when focusing is critical
    Tip #65 A very simple but helpful tip when using your tripod
    Tip #66 A great book to get on the Nikon D7000
    Tip #67 Protecting your rear LCD screen
    Tip #68 Selecting a UV filter
    Tip #69 Additional AUTO ISO information
    Tip #70 My camera just went nuts!!!
    Tip #71 Choosing a SD card for your Nikon D7000
    Tip #72 Should I have my lens's VR turned on when shooting on a tripod
    Tip #73 What would you do if your battery or charger quit working?
    Tip #74 My shutter speeds in "M" and "S" modes won't go over 320
    Tip #75 Do you find the RED RECORD BUTTON a pain in the neck for movies?
    Tip #76 Updating to the latest firmware in your D7000 camera
    Tip #77 Setting White Balance for "Sunrise" and "Sunset" pictures
    Tip #78 Copy images from one SD card to another within your camera
    Tip #79 Are you having trouble keeping your horizons level?
    Tip #80 Are you having trouble with dust spots in your pictures?
    Tip #81 Why or why not turn the audible beep to "ON" for Autofocus
    Tip #82 Increasing your percentage of keepers when shooting
    Tip #83 Why doesn't my D7000 give me pictures like I see in the sample galleries
    Tip #84 My tripod and camera is setup but where is my remote
    Tip #85 Getting great pictures of your kids on rides at attractions
    Tip #86 Things I learned about shooting video while on vacation
    Tip #87 Do's and Don'ts when taking a video of Christmas displays
    Tip #88 I get my focus lock but my shutter button doesn't work
    Tip #89 My pictures are all foggy, what is going on?
    Tip #90 Start using your speedlite as a remote flash
    Tip #91 Its time to update your copyright info in your cameras EXIF data Tip #92 Shooting photos from a vehicle
    Tip #92 Shooting photos from a vehicle
    Tip #93 A quick and easy way to format your SD cards
    Tip #94 The effects of Depth of Field using different focal length lenses
    Tip #95 Do you know when to use the "Normal" and "Active" position on a VR lens?
    Tip #96 Learning from other photographers camera settings.
    Tip #97 Needing a copyright symbol for your watermark
    Tip #98 A few more reasons to have an umbrella available when out shooting.
    Tip #99 Why I shoot single point focus point
    Tip #100 Looking at things a little different might give you better results
    Last edited by Photo-John; 01-27-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tip #2 Nikon built in flash adjustment

Nikon built in flash adjustment
    I learned something new today and thought I would pass it on. Some of you probably already know this but I have to believe that there are many that don't.

Want to adjust the power of the on camera flash for a Nikon D7000!

Here is how you do it

Press the info button down so you can view the rear screen. Now hold down the button that makes the on camera flash pop up. Next while holding that button down turn the finger wheel button on the front of the camera. This allows you to turn the power of the on camera flash down. When taking pictures up close, having the ability to lower the power of the on camera flash will be very helpful and help you to keep from over exposing as much. Hope this is new information to a few folks out there like it was to me. I am doing this on my Nikon D7000 but it may also work on other models, Jeff
    REMEMBER like all settings that you change now and then, be sure to change it back when you are done or it could drive you nuts!!!!

Let me add a clarification to this tip. You are not really adjusting the power output of the flash you are actually adding or subtracting compensation of the flash as compared to what it would normally choose to use. This way if it is giving you more light than you want the flash can be adjusted to get the effect you are looking for. This is just adjusting or compensating for the reading the camera has chosen to use with the flash just like you compensate for the exposure with the "EV" button on top of the camera for non flash exposures.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n8

Re: Nikon D7000 tips

good to see you're getting to know your camera and passing it along!
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Tip #3 Where was the focus point of my picture?

Where was the focus point of my picture? You can wait until you get your file in your computer and find out it was off the mark that you wanted the focus to be on or you can know instantly if you nailed it. Have you ever looked at one of your pictures that you intended to have the focus on an eye and actually was on an ear instead, leaving the eye soft? This might be for you.

When the preview comes up on the LCD screen I like having the focus point of that picture displayed so I can verify and see exactly where my point of focus was when the picture was taken. Doing this will display a red focus point where it was during the exposure.

Here is how you do it
    Go to the PLAYBACK MENU
    DISPLAY MODE
    Check FOCUS POINT

Next go up the menu to DONE and press OK.

If you try it and do not like it just repeat and UN-check FOCUS POINT, Jeff

Tip #4 Menus driving you nuts!

Menus driving you nuts! Ever get frustrated trying to find what you want among all those long menus in your camera? Well just go down to MY MENU and set up just the options you want in the order you want them in.

Here is how you do it

If you need to know how to add this to MY MENU it was covered in tip #4 but I will place it here for your convenience
    Here is how you do it

Go to MY MENU which is the six menu down on the left side and press OK
    Scroll to ADD ITEMS and press OK
    Next choose the PLAYBACK MENU and press OK
    Next scroll down to IMAGE REVIEW and press OK
    Press OK one more time to save it to MY MENU

Then rearrange them in the order you use them the most and a lot of your headaches with the menus will disappear. Everything you need will be in one nice neat orderly place, Jeff

n8

Boy, you're really getting into this
    The quick menu feature is definitely one of my favorites. I have my Fn button assigned to pull this menu up.
    The depth of field preview button is also able to be customized...I like using it to kill the flash for situations were maybe I want flash...maybe I don't.
    mostly Nikon gear

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    Boy, you're really getting into this
    The quick menu feature is definitely one of my favorites. I have my Fn button assigned to pull this menu up.
    The depth of field preview button is also able to be customized...I like using it to kill the flash for situations were maybe I want flash...maybe I don't.
    When would you need a button like that to kill the flash? It won't pop up unless you do it manually or you are in auto and then all you have to do is turn it one more notch on the mode dial and it is auto without flash. When would you use a button to turn it off? Just curious, Jeff

n8

When I have a speed light attached. I did this a lot when shooting the vietnow pics in viewfinder. I had the flash on the whole time, but was shooting with a 1.8, and with the iso performance...the light wasn't essential...just useful for certain shots. There are a ton of applications for this, but it pretty much is only useful if you have a strobe attached. Using the dof preview button is essential too, as you can still reach it with your right ring finger while shooting in portrait with the grip attached.
    mostly Nikon gear

Tip #5 Manuals hard to understand?

Manuals hard to understand?
    You might want to go to the link below and view the Nikon Digitutor for the D7000. It is a video on the Nikon site that will give you a good over view of what the camera can do and how it operates. Each time I get a new Nikon I review the video for my new camera and recommend you check it out also, Jeff

Here is the link to the video.....

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D7000

Tip #6 Saving all your settings for your favorite type of shooting

Saving all your settings for your favorite type of shooting.

Ever spend a lot of time getting all the settings fine tuned for taking shots at the beach, portraits, landscapes or something else only to loose them after changing to a different mode selection and have to figure them out again the next time you shoot? If you have, then take advantage of all the time you spent tweaking your settings and save them to U1 or U2 on the mode dial of your camera. After you have invested all the time getting your favorite tweaks for, lets say shots at the beach, BEFORE you move that mode dial just pick U1 or U2 on the mode dial and save all the settings and tweaks for the next time by doing this.

Go to MENU > SETUP > Save user settings > (select U1 or U2) > Save settings

Now the next time you go back to that style of photography all the work is done, just turn the mode dial to whichever selection you saved them to and you are ready to go. If you find that after using it a little while you need to make a few more fine adjustments then repeat the steps above. Be sure to save the new adjustments BEFORE you move the mode dial or you will loose the latest adjustments and revert back to the last time you saved. This is a feature that few cameras have and you can save a complete set of settings for two types of photography of your choice so take advantage of this great function, Jeff

I would be interested in hearing from some of the members to find out if any of you are getting any helpful information out of this, if so let me know and I will keep posting. Close to 400 views with only n8 giving any comments. Thanks n8!!

Tip #7 Reducing noise in your pictures

Reducing noise in your pictures.
    To start with this tip applies to pictures taken preferably on a tripod and have a relatively still subject. What you do is to take multiple pictures of the same subject and have "auto gain" on which results in a noticeable decrease in noise by taking either two or three pictures and dividing the exposure between the frames and merging them back together into one image within the camera.

To do this go to SHOOTING MENU

Multiple exposure, select Number of shots, go down to AUTO Gain and turn it on then scroll up to DONE and click OK.

You have a choice of two or three frames and I like to use three to reduce the noise as much as possible. The three ways you can trip the shutter are 1st, manually pushing the button three times, 2nd using a remote to do the same thing, or 3rd by placing your camera on CH burst mode and doing three quick pictures by pressing the shutter button once. You have to pay attention because you will be shooting at 6FPS. I prefer this method because it is the fastest and reduces the chances of movement while taking the three shots. The multiple exposure function automatically turns off and will need to be reset to take additional multiple pictures. If you leave the AUTO GAIN off each of your pictures will be exposed for the full amount needed to take a single picture so make sure the AUTO GAIN is turned on. I have already posted a picture taken with this method and will add it below so you can see it again. Any camera can take multiple pictures that can be merged into one shot using PhotoShop or additional software but the Nikon's will do it quickly IN CAMERA for simple, instant results. Try this and see what you think, you should have a noticeable reduction in the amount of noise that can be seen, Jeff

Note: the noise reduction was off in the camera for this shot and no noise reduction was done in post production. The only method to reduce noise was the method used above. Also I suggest adding the multiple exposure button to your "My Menu" so it can be accessed easily and quickly for additional shots like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon D7000 tips-dsc_8655_2.jpg  

Tip #8 Need faster FLASH SYNC SPEED than 1/250???

Need faster FLASH SYNC SPEED than 1/250???
    I have my camera set to 1/320 (AUTO FP). The reason I have changed it is because at the default setting your camera flash will only sync up to 1/250 and go no higher. By changing the setting to 1/320 (AUTO FP) it will allow your camera to sync normally up to the faster 1/320 speed using the full power of your flash and also go much higher automatically if you need it to go above the 1/320 sync level. As you pass the 1/320 sync speed the duration of the flash has to be extended due to how the shutter operates on your camera so the sensor is equally exposed to the light from the flash. Your camera has a focal plane shutter that exposes the sensor in two different movements and not all at the same time. As the speed of the shutter increases the flash needs to operate longer to be able to equally cover and expose light to the sensor because of the way the shutter exposes the sensor in the two different movements. Remember that at 1/320 (AUTO FP) that everything up to and including 1/320 will operate with NO DECREASE in flash power. If you go above that speed the flash power will slowly decrease due to extending the length of duration the flash has to operate at.
    One example of when you may need the higher flash sync speed would be if you were taking a picture outside and wanted to use a larger F-stop to blur the background but also need some FILL FLASH. This would allow you to use an F-stop of say F2.8 that would call for a fast shutter speed that would eliminate using fill flash at the higher shutter speed if your camera was at the default setting of 1/250 sec.
    Having the camera set to 1/320 (AUTO FP) all the time will allow you to sync your flash up to this speed any time you need it at full flash power and automatically let you go above that if you need it without having to go into any menus. To me it is a win, win situation.

If you would like to try it, this is how you do it.
    Go to CUSTOM MENU
    E- BRACKETING
    E1- FLASH SYNC SPEED 1/320 push menu selector to the right and select FLASH SYNC SPEED 1/320 (AUTO FP) then push OK

The “FP” in the setting stands for “FOCAL PLANE” which is the type of shutter your camera has that determines the speed of the sync with your flash.
    You can get more information about this if you Google Nikon High Speed Flash Sync.
    I leave my camera set to this setting all the time and never change it. Hope this might be of some benefit to some of the readers, Jeff

Feel free to leave any comments about my "Tips" thread and let me know if you are benefiting from any of these posts, Jeff

Thank you for all these tips, Jeff. I'm leaving shortly for a photo trek with my D7000 -- unfortunately my life has been incredibly busy ever since I got this camera, so your tips are helping me brush up on some details.
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

Quote Originally Posted by pweb View Post
    Thank you for all these tips, Jeff. I'm leaving shortly for a photo trek with my D7000 -- unfortunately my life has been incredibly busy ever since I got this camera, so your tips are helping me brush up on some details.
    Thanks Pam for saying something. These are things I thought might be helpful to others but with almost 800 views and so few replies or comments I'm not so sure if it isn't just a waist of time. Hopefully some of the people that have viewed the tips have found some helpful information. Thanks again Nate and Pam for showing some interest, Jeff

Keep up the good work Jeff. Tips are very helpful. Sorry I dont post much, not much of a "talker" more of a "listener".

Greg
    D7000
    D40
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8
    Nikon 18-105 kit
    Nikon 18-55 kit
    Nikon 55-200 kit
    Nikon SB-600

Tip #9 You might consider a battery grip and this is why....

You might consider a battery grip and this is why....

After you have the essentials such as the body, lenses, a flash and tripod you may want to consider checking out a battery grip for the better handling and extra battery life with an additional battery.

I purchased my first SLR camera in1970, a Nikon F with FTN meter, and have had several cameras since then and none up until I bought my Nikon D7000 had a battery grip or grip of any kind. They do have a fair sized price tag on them and they do add some weight. These are two reasons that I have never had one before. Months ago I began getting interested in one and started doing some research on battery grips and decided to purchase one for my Nikon D7000. After doing my research I decided to go with a Nikon grip instead of a third party grip so I would lessen the chance for buyer’s remorse. I have to say that sometimes I take a lot of handheld vertical pictures and for me to be able to comfortably take these type of pictures, and for this alone, would make it worth the price of the grip. I was skeptical about the added weight and cost but find that for me the pluses outweigh the negatives.

The grip allows you to add a second battery for longer shooting and it will also give you the ability to use AA batteries as a backup in an emergency. On the grip itself there is a second shutter button, thumb and finger wheel, navigation joystick button and a second AE-L and AF-L button on the grip itself all designed for use when shooting vertical images. There is also an on-off switch so when you are not using the grip it can be turned off so the extra buttons cannot be used or accidentally pressed. In the camera you can choose which battery to use first and then change over to the second one. I have mine to use the battery in the grip first and then when it is finished start using the one in the camera.

You may read in some reviews that by having one battery in the grip and the other one in the camera that this is a mistake on Nikon's design. After using mine I personally think it is a good thing because if I want to quickly remove the grip to make the camera smaller or lighter, having one of the batteries still in the camera makes this a one step change over and I do not have to locate and reattach the battery door to be able to use my camera.

The Nikon MB-D11 battery grip is well built and matches the D7000 perfectly. It looks just like it was made on the camera and not an add on. It does not give you more FPS as some grips do but does give you a more professional looking camera with a much better grip in both the horizontal and vertical positions and twice as much battery life with the addition of a second battery. Now that I have tried using a grip I will probably always get one for any future cameras that I might own. Is this something that you can live without? Yes you can! Is it for everyone? No it isn't! But I must say that after shooting without one for forty years that I am very happy that I took the plunge and made the purchase. This grip is something that I find very useful and would recommend checking it out if you have some extra cash. I purchased mine for about $219 with free shipping. If you get interested in one make sure, if you want the Nikon brand, that what you are looking at actually is really a Nikon grip and not a knockoff of one. This is not a must have piece of equipment but I have to tell you that I am very happy with mine and would recommend getting one if you are interested. I think it is one of those things that if you do splurge and get it you will ask yourself why you didn’t do it sooner, Jeff

wow..this is a very nice thread for a d7000 user like me.thanks for the tips,my d7000 is just a 3 weeks old and your experience helps me to understand some of my dilemma.

Tip #10 Capturing the natural look or mood with photos taken inside by using fill fla

Capturing the natural look or mood with photos taken inside by using fill flash.

When you take pictures inside and use your flash the subject usually comes out right and the background looks dark and it is obvious that a flash was used, maybe giving you that deer in the headlights look. On the other hand if you use just the ambient or natural light in the room sometimes the subject will come out a little dark due to your camera metering for the whole scene. What just might be the answer is to shoot in manual and add a little fill in flash. Earlier I told you about your ability to adjust the strength of your on camera flash for fill outdoors and now we are going to do the same thing except we are adding flash indoors to fill in. To do this you will need to shoot in manual mode and this might be a scary thing to think about if you have never used it before.

To shoot on manual mode you first pick an ISO that will work in the conditions you will be shooting in. Next turn the mode dial on your camera to "M". Next chose either an F stop or shutter speed that you like to use and adjust the opposite choice to get the correct exposure while looking at the light meter in the bottom of the viewfinder. When using fill flash inside you will need to shoot in manual instead of "A" or "S" modes because if you try fill flash in these modes , when you flip up the flash to activate it your shutter speed will change to 1/60 sec and mess up your previous meter reading.

HINT... If you are a little scared of using "M" mode to get your settings, then you can always go to full "auto" and see what the settings would be for the picture and return to manual and use these same settings. In manual the finger wheel in the front changes the F stop and the thumb wheel on the rear of the camera will change or set the shutter speed.

Lets say that the scene you are taking you choose to use "A" or "Aperture Priority" mode. You pick a F stop of say F 3.5 and after adjusting your shutter speed to get your exposure correct using the light meter that you can view in the bottom of the viewfinder, the shutter speed the camera gave you is 1/100 sec. and you then take a shot. If the room looks fairly evenly well lit but your subject could use just a little more light than the camera meter gave it, this is where the fill flash can help. The camera averaged in the lights that may be beyond your subject causing your subject to be a little dark.

Push the button to make the flash pop up and take a shot. Is your subject now just a little too bright? If it is, and it probably will be due to adding the light from the flash, this is where turning down the power of the flash to get the right mix of ambient light and flash come in. Press the info button at the bottom right corner of the rear LCD screen. Now press the same button that you pressed to make the flash pop up and while you are holding the button "IN" rotate the finger wheel on the front of the camera near the shutter button and turn down the flash and try taking the shot again. Repeat this until the correct amount of fill flash is achieved and you are happy with the results. You are looking for a picture that has the ambient natural light look with only the flash powered up enough to get the job done and not be noticeable. You are going for a natural, no flash used look. Remember that you are using the meter to get the settings for the natural light and then your adding only enough fill flash to bring out your subject.

I think you will find after playing with this just a little that this tip will be very helpful and the pictures you take will have a much more pleasing and natural look to them. Do remember to change your flash back to full strength and if you normally do not use "M" mode return it to what you normally use so it won't mess you up the next time you shoot.

If any of these tips have helped you or you have any questions please post a reply and let me know, Jeff

NOTE: This can also be done with an external flash if the power is adjustable.

I shoot football in the dark at HS fields. When I am at the back of the endzone, I pop up the flash. I have been turning down the ISO number. Now I can set the flash 3 stops lower and keep shooting at 4000. Great info!
    Searching for the perfect sports images

n8

Not sure if you covered this yet Jeff, but selecting slow/rear curtain will also allow enough ambient light in to keep the pic looking natural. I think selecting slower shutter speeds in manual forces this, and the mode changes automatically.
    mostly Nikon gear

Ok I just pulled the trigger on a D7000 as a backup and companion camera to the D700. Now I need to go back and read all you great tips on the D7000. I spent about an hour on Ken Rosewell's site reading up about it before I made the final decision. I'll be putting the the D2h up for sale soon.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    Not sure if you covered this yet Jeff, but selecting slow/rear curtain will also allow enough ambient light in to keep the pic looking natural. I think selecting slower shutter speeds in manual forces this, and the mode changes automatically.
    fotofill, I am glad you found something new to try out. You may want to use the rear curtain setting as Nate mentioned and I will write up something on that before too long.

Nate, I haven't covered slow or rear curtain settings but I will in the weeks to come, thanks for the idea.

Oldtimer, hopefully there might be something that you will benefit from but with your experience you may not read anything that you don't already know. Most of the tips I have written up apply to many more models than just the Nikon D7000.

I do appreciate the feedback and ideas so keep them coming. I know there is a wide range of experience within the members and visitors of our site so some of the readers will get more out of these tips than others will depending on their experience in photography. The reason I am posting these tips is to hopefully inform the readers about something they didn't already know and give them new things to try and experiment with. I am aware that there are many members with a vast amount of knowledge and know much more than I do but I am also aware that to some, this will be something new and helpful. So take any of the tips for what it is worth or you can get out of it that may make you photography a little more fun and exciting. If you have any suggestions of things to cover contact me either here or by PM or E-mail and if it is something I know about or can study up on I will be glad to post a tip about it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read the tips and I do hope you may get some benefit out something that you didn't already know, Jeff

Tip #11 When to use different flash sync modes and what they do

When to use different flash sync modes and what they do.

Nate had mentioned in an earlier reply to one of my tips about using the rear flash sync mode and I said that I would write something up about how it works and what it does. To explain this would involve a lot of writing to cover it all so I looked around for a video that would do it and I think I have found one that covers it very well. If you are interested in how the sync modes work and when to use them than this will do a very good job in helping you understand when and what to do.

Check out this video for using your camera's, "flash sync modes", Jeff

Thanks for the information and the post!!!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information