ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

2001 Florida Bird

American white pelican from Ft. Myers Beach Florida

F100/ sigma 170-500 on provia 400F(I was shooting in the dark swamp earlier that day)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-w.pelican.3.01estero600.8.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

not so good image of....

An Eastern Wood Pewee from 03
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-c38d0488crop.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!

Here is one that came from the same aviary as that cookoo bird. What do I have Paul? I am only good at N.A. species...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-zoo-4-17-05-004.jpg  
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

drg

This is a great post! Lots of work and skill went into these photos. I have enjoyed wandering through this collection of great photos.

I'm surprised that no one has included (or I haven't seen it) one of the most omnipresent NA avian's. Even though there are many "sub types" I'm posting a recent, and my best bird shot for a while. I'll do better hopefully soon. I've great opportunity, just lacking patience.

This was in the "wild" ;) as opposed to aviary or zoo shots (of which I've lots). When there's a little more time later this week I'll dig through the files and see what turns up, though I think I've previously posted my best goose shots. Couldn't resist having a little fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Well this image resembles a white ibis in many ways, but I think it's a yellow billed stork, which is an african species as the aviary suggests ;)

http://www.birdsasart.com/yellow-bil...-PK,-Kenya.jpg
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Paul, these are kind of lousy as far as clarity, but I was thrilled to get em, nonetheless!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-babybird.jpg   Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-mommabirdbaby.jpg  

Your latin name sums it up ;)

We call them bridge falcons

This used to be called a Rock dove , but was renamed to ROCK PIDGEON due to the fact that is is more a true pidgeon than a dove.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

You're right, actually...it is a barn swallow. You just can't see the tail in the picture.

You've got me here...... WEhat kind of swallow is that ? The throat has a hint of what appears is orange, but no long tail.... Which would be a BARN SWALLOW ;)

I will see if I can dig up a tree swallow nest or phoebe nest, but it'll be somewhat blurry and noisy from ISO 1600 or 3200 since I hand hold 99% of the time.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Heres a couple Paulnj , hope you can C enough to identify them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-northern-flicker-.jpg  

Yellow shafted subspecies of the northern flicker You are in the eastern section of canada I take it.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Yup Western Quebec

Just got a Tcon-17 for my Kodak so my Bird shots should improve or maybe worsen lol

Least tern

A protected species in NJ.

From my film days took this full frame at around 250mm on a sigma 170-500
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A question for the bird nerds

Ok, I don't have any more bird picks to post right now, but I want to add to Paul's expanding thread, so hears a question.

I have a couple bird feeders in my back yard, and I was told that if I want to attract, say, cardinals, I should tie a piece of red ribbon to the bird feeder. If I want blue jays, I should tie a piece of blue ribbon to the feeder. Yellow ribbon for yellow birds, and so on... The logic behind it is, that if a cardinal is in the area, and sees the red ribbon, he/she will think it's another cardinal, and will come over to check it out to make sure there isn't another cardinal in it's territory. Once they realize that the ribbon is no threat, and see that there is food available for them, they will keep coming back. Has anyone ever heard of this, or tried it?

Just curious.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: A question for the bird nerds

I truely don't think that's the whole truth of the matter, and the theory would only work in spring when males are on territory

red clothing actually SCARES birds BTW and Orange attracts orioles so they say.

I could go on for days about attracting birds, the food they prefer, the environments they desire, landscaping to attract them........

But how about I just let cornell tell you
    http://www.birds.cornell.edu/program...tractingBirds/

from there... FEEDING WILD BIRDS (and from there ....choosing bird food ) are great basic links to help you attract the birds you want

This is my seed mix.....

25 pound bag of black oil sunflower seeds, 7-8 pounds of SAFFLOWER , and 5 pounds of peanuts unshelled.. NO SALT. I get mine from the feed and grain store and buy the sunflower seeds/ NATURAL peanuts in a bag and the safflower by weight.

Safflower, though a bit pricey, Is the cardinals favorite food so they say. Blue jays will eat peanuts and like most birds.... love black oil sunflower seeds ;)

Finches.... thistle feeder with nyger thistle

HAppy bird attracting ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for the recipe!

Took this tonight. Pretty soft, but I want to keep your thread going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-crw_6889.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Thanks for the recipe!

ADULT non breeding plumage spotted sandpiper ... on migration or about to migrate ;)

I am going out tomorrow... maybe I can get a few images? I am a birder first and foremost when out with my friend.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

A feeder shot

I took this a few years ago with a F100 / 80-200F2.8 at 150MM on a tripod with a cable release run inside my balcony door. I had the flash set a bit too high I think though.(-.7ev)

This is a full frame bad scan of male and female house finches eating black oil with a little nyger thistle mixed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-2finches150mm.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

here's a new species ;)

NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL roosting in a honeysuckle vine infested cedar about 5 feet above the ground The only defence this tiny owl has is to stay still and stay hidden. If jumped from it's roost it instantly is mobbed by other birds and a hawk eats it very soon after.

Believe it or not.... you can actually reach out and pick them up.... BUT DON'T!!!!!!!!

F100/ 80-200F2.8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-sharpened-saw-whet-copy8.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

I Posted 2 New Images

As a reply to MY ORIGINAL HYBRID GOOSE!

Somehow they became replies to Liz's post" BIRDS OF THE STREET"

Sorry no good images today. Migration is in full effect and by 10AM I was standing in a pool of my own sweat. I found a PERFECT adult male?( small) sharp shinned hawk today, but when I went to adjust my position to get full view.. away it went. I also found a sweet looking female hooded warbler is very dark conditions under the canopy of a dense forest. I had no time to raise my ISO setting before she fly away. 1/15TH gave me a yellow streak that I deleted
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Zoo Bird

Don't know what this is, but he seems to suppor the "birds are really dinosaurs" argument and scare me a little...

I'll try to get some more birds tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-temp2.jpg  

Re: Zoo Bird

This bird looks like one of the bustard species.

They are sort of turkey like, with longer legs and necks.

I'm not too sure though if it is one
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Fall Magnolia ID shots

I took these 3 images in a matter of 10 seconds at most. My flash was DEAD and I was unsure of the species . I blasted 3 ID shots before it left. Had I had power in my flash and more time for comp... These would be much better.

These images were for my cousin .... who can ID 20x as well as me ;)

Mike should take a look at how close these images look to the prairie he posted(this is a fall male still holding some breeding plumage BTW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-c38d4824thom.jpg   Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-mag-2.jpg   Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-mag3.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

not a great image , but....

Here is a grab shot of an osprey fly over from last week. I cropped it to about 40% of the frame and adjusted the white balance to brighten it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!-9079osprey.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Went looking...

Went looking for some birds today -- this is the only decent one I got...

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information