ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: My Memorial Day

My Memorial Day

Or actually, the day before Memorial Day - near Downieville, CA. We were supposed to go to Oregon to ride but one of the group had to work too late to make the drive worthwhile. So we went to Downieville instead. Had to hike through snow and go a very roundabout way to get to this lookout. All together, we were out for over six hours on this ride. And it was sooooo worth the effort

Photos were taken with a tiny, 5 megapixel HP Photosmart R707 compact digital camera. Never paid much attention to HP digital cameras before. But this one is sweet - really!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Memorial Day-bblookout.jpg   My Memorial Day-gav_pauley.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Snow? Cool! Looks like fun. Looks a lot like it was here - except trade the blue for grey, and make it a little flatter! Had so much rain that the river was closed, and the lake is too crowded that weekend, so no kayaking. That and the idea of holding on to a carbon fiber paddle around lightning...

By the way - I have a skeg on the kayak that's controlled by a stainless cable - it's a push/pull set-up. I have to replace my cable, and someone told me to get the wax-based lubricant that's used on bike cables. Do you know what this is?

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    By the way - I have a skeg on the kayak that's controlled by a stainless cable - it's a push/pull set-up. I have to replace my cable, and someone told me to get the wax-based lubricant that's used on bike cables. Do you know what this is?
    There are a bunch of wax-based "dry" lubes. Pedro's is one of the most popular: http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Lub...ct_22286.shtml

You can also buy spray-on wax-based lubes at motorcycle shops. Is the cable in th water? I don't like wax-based lubes because the leave a lot of residue that builds up and is hard to clean off. I use ProGold. It goes on dry and was originally developed for heavy mining equipment. It handles dirt and wet really well. But I'm not really sure what would be approriate for your kayak.

Where were you, anyway?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The cable will be wet, so maybe I'll pass on it and do more research. I stayed here in town this weekend. Haven't even made it to Lake Michigan yet this year (unless you count New Year's Day!), but up to Lake Superior for a week next month.

Thread Information