Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: sound problems

sound problems

Hello, I'm new to the DV world and was wondering if someone can help with the problem I'm having. What I'm trying to do is this, record a Rock band from a Sharp VL-Z3U through a fire wire directly to the PC. We tried it with a web cam and the quality of the vid was low but sound was good because it was through the sound board and to the line-in on the PC.
    I tried to record with the camcorder and it's tape 1st but the volume level was to high and the sound was distorted. We then tried going through Windows Media Encoder, by-passing the cameras mic and selecting the line-in again. This worked but the video was not much better then that of the web cam. Next we tried an Ulead program and the video was amazing but we still had the issue of the cameras mic distorting. Is it possible to select the line-in for the sound source and the dv camera for the video somehow with a program as superior as Ulead or Pinacle? Any help will be greatly appreciated as we are totally frustrated.
    Thanx in advance

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: sound problems

Do you have a decent audio system or mic set that you can record to the PC with? How about recording to a DAT machine at the same time that you are video taping, and then putting the two tracks together in the editing process. Remember in the old movies when you saw those clacker things in the beginning of a scene with some writing on them. The snapping shut of the clacker is both a visual and audio cue for the editors to synchronise the audio and video in a shoot. If you record seperately, you will want to record both the picture and the sound of someone clapping their hands or slamming a book on a table at first so you can match the two together in the edit process/ Your camcorder mic is just not built to handle the high sound pressure level of the live band without any kind of distortiion and will almost always sound too loud. It is just getting too much signal.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Do you have a decent audio system or mic set that you can record to the PC with? How about recording to a DAT machine at the same time that you are video taping, and then putting the two tracks together in the editing process. Remember in the old movies when you saw those clacker things in the beginning of a scene with some writing on them. The snapping shut of the clacker is both a visual and audio cue for the editors to synchronise the audio and video in a shoot. If you record seperately, you will want to record both the picture and the sound of someone clapping their hands or slamming a book on a table at first so you can match the two together in the edit process/ Your camcorder mic is just not built to handle the high sound pressure level of the live band without any kind of distortiion and will almost always sound too loud. It is just getting too much signal.
    Worked perfect I had no idea you could do such a thing, I couldn't figure out how to turn the mic in the camcorder off but in the editing you can just delete the camcorder audio right out of the mix. Good grade audio and video now, I used cool edit pro for the audio, you can do so much with that program alone, you can add effects to voice narration such as reverb,chorus,delay. You can delete background noise and add over 100 different audio tracks to the movie, the list goes on and on. Maybe you can use this for something? Thanks again

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Glad to help.

Thread Information