Liz

Smile Any AOL users having problems???

Hi Folks,
    I've been having some "slight" problems getting into the posts here. Not all the time. However, it's becoming progressively more frequent. I'm posting the problem here to see if anyone else has these problems. Here's the description:

There was a conflict with aol and PR on the old forums (Megan also had a similar aol problem, but didn't use aol for PR). I had many problems getting into posts most of the time; at least once a day I couldn't get on the forums at all.

When the new system arrived, I was thrilled when I had no problems. However a few weeks ago, the time it takes to get into the posts began getting longer. Now, quite often it takes 3+ minutes to access a post. A few times I've given up after about 5 minutes. This morning is one of those times. I try to check VF every morning and evening if possible (as the moderator), but many times I don't have enough time to wait minutes for one post to show. I lose track of where I've been, which posts I've viewed because there is no difference on my screen as to read/unread, and sometimes I can't get into them for 2-3 days. I can live with the read/unread problem, but it amplifies the other problem since after a few days of not accesssing the threads, I don't always recall which I replied to.

It's important to know that it is not my computer, Windows or software. It has to be a conflict with aol or something similar, because I don't have this problem with any other websites. Almost every time I have the problem here, I go to at least 2 other websites to check. Once in a while, my pc gets slow and it reflects on all websites, but this is entirely separate.

Also, it won't resolve the problem by switching from aol because I'm the director of a residence for homeless women and my email address is on all of our stationary, business cards, etc. It would be a lot of work to change in mid-stream.

I don't know what to do, and I love these forums, and enjoy the people. The problem is getting progressively worse, but I believe there must be an answer. Months ago Peter suggested I reformat my pc - but I don't have the problem anywhere but here, so that wouldn't solve anything. I can't understand why it didn't happen with the new system for all this time, and only now I'm beginning to have a problem.

BTW, I use Internet Explorer as the browser, altho it always says "IE through aol" - I haven't a clue what that means. On the old forums, if I went directly to IE to get to this website, it was much better. However, I couldn't upload any photos.

At present I haven't had to do anything about it - when we had the old system, I couldn't get into the forums at all. Once in a while this happens, but it only lasts a couple of minutes, then I can connect.

Does anyone else have these or similar situations - aol users? or anyone else with other servers?
    Does anyone have suggestions? Clues?

Thanks folks.

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

About IE...

Liz,

I think we've identified your problem as being the AOL browser (IE through AOL is pretty much the same thing), but I'd you to explain what you mean by not being able to upload photos when you use the straight IE program. Do you mean to post photos here on the site?

If so, does that mean you can basically browse this site in IE and view pics that are already posted? I would think that would at least be an improvement over the AOL setup, and would let you spend time here, read and reply to posts.

I just need to get a clarification before I offer any advice on changing your browser configuration...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Folks,
    I've been having some "slight" problems getting into the posts here. Not all the time. However, it's becoming progressively more frequent. I'm posting the problem here to see if anyone else has these problems. Here's the description:

There was a conflict with aol and PR on the old forums (Megan also had a similar aol problem, but didn't use aol for PR). I had many problems getting into posts most of the time; at least once a day I couldn't get on the forums at all.

When the new system arrived, I was thrilled when I had no problems. However a few weeks ago, the time it takes to get into the posts began getting longer. Now, quite often it takes 3+ minutes to access a post. A few times I've given up after about 5 minutes. This morning is one of those times. I try to check VF every morning and evening if possible (as the moderator), but many times I don't have enough time to wait minutes for one post to show. I lose track of where I've been, which posts I've viewed because there is no difference on my screen as to read/unread, and sometimes I can't get into them for 2-3 days. I can live with the read/unread problem, but it amplifies the other problem since after a few days of not accesssing the threads, I don't always recall which I replied to.

It's important to know that it is not my computer, Windows or software. It has to be a conflict with aol or something similar, because I don't have this problem with any other websites. Almost every time I have the problem here, I go to at least 2 other websites to check. Once in a while, my pc gets slow and it reflects on all websites, but this is entirely separate.

Also, it won't resolve the problem by switching from aol because I'm the director of a residence for homeless women and my email address is on all of our stationary, business cards, etc. It would be a lot of work to change in mid-stream.

I don't know what to do, and I love these forums, and enjoy the people. The problem is getting progressively worse, but I believe there must be an answer. Months ago Peter suggested I reformat my pc - but I don't have the problem anywhere but here, so that wouldn't solve anything. I can't understand why it didn't happen with the new system for all this time, and only now I'm beginning to have a problem.

BTW, I use Internet Explorer as the browser, altho it always says "IE through aol" - I haven't a clue what that means. On the old forums, if I went directly to IE to get to this website, it was much better. However, I couldn't upload any photos.

At present I haven't had to do anything about it - when we had the old system, I couldn't get into the forums at all. Once in a while this happens, but it only lasts a couple of minutes, then I can connect.

Does anyone else have these or similar situations - aol users? or anyone else with other servers?
    Does anyone have suggestions? Clues?

Thanks folks.

Liz
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Liz

Internet Explorer

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your offer to try to help resolve the issues. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it is the browser. The last time (old forums) I had major problems, I posted asking if there were other aol users that had the problem. No one but Megan replied - not even to say they used aol but didn't have a problem. Megan said she has an aol account, but doesn't use it for PR and offered to try to log on to the forums from aol. She had the same problem that I did when she logged on via aol.

That being said, there was some improvement for a while when I used the IE directly. However, after a few weeks I began having problems with that option. It started to get slower (like I'm beginning to experience now). Right before PR switched to the new system it was acting just like aol directly and not letting me into the forums. I really believe the problem is an aol conflict.

Important Other Information:
    My friend has an aol account and I tried logging onto the old forums the last time I had a problem, using her computer. I had the same problem (only worse due to her older version of aol). This was in a totally separate environment, with a much older version of aol with no pop-up blocking options and a different version of Windows.

Regarding uploading photos:
    I have to say that I would not be happy if I had to continue with PR for any length of time without the option of ever uploading photos. By uploading I mean, I can't post any images at all. I tried numerous times.

Since Megan had the same problem with aol, I know I'm not the only person on the internet that experiences this. We don't seem to have many aol users on PR which I find interesting since aol is one of the biggest servers around. I do wonder if other people have had problems here, and just haven't mentioned it. As I said, when I posted previously no one with aol replied at all - except Megan.

Thanks for your help.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Liz,

I think we've identified your problem as being the AOL browser (IE through AOL is pretty much the same thing), but I'd you to explain what you mean by not being able to upload photos when you use the straight IE program. Do you mean to post photos here on the site?

If so, does that mean you can basically browse this site in IE and view pics that are already posted? I would think that would at least be an improvement over the AOL setup, and would let you spend time here, read and reply to posts.

I just need to get a clarification before I offer any advice on changing your browser configuration...

Security settings?

Liz,

As I don't have any experience with AOL, and am not by nature a computer guru, I'm not sure how much help I can be, but one thing that affects the way a browser works on web sites, and sometimes your ability to upload and download files is the browser's security settings.

Also, if you have any "popup blockers" or script disablers, that may affect how a site runs on your browser. Others here can probably give you more or better advice about this...

Have you considered going right to AOL tech support with your problem? Yes, I've heard nightmare stories about folks trying to get through to them, but I don't know what the reality is. It might be worth a shot. Sometimes these companies surprise you. After all, it's in their best interest for the program to work as smoothly as possible, isn't it?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your offer to try to help resolve the issues. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it is the browser. The last time (old forums) I had major problems, I posted asking if there were other aol users that had the problem. No one but Megan replied - not even to say they used aol but didn't have a problem. Megan said she has an aol account, but doesn't use it for PR and offered to try to log on to the forums from aol. She had the same problem that I did when she logged on via aol.

That being said, there was some improvement for a while when I used the IE directly. However, after a few weeks I began having problems with that option. It started to get slower (like I'm beginning to experience now). Right before PR switched to the new system it was acting just like aol directly and not letting me into the forums. I really believe the problem is an aol conflict.

Important Other Information:
    My friend has an aol account and I tried logging onto the old forums the last time I had a problem, using her computer. I had the same problem (only worse due to her older version of aol). This was in a totally separate environment, with a much older version of aol with no pop-up blocking options and a different version of Windows.

Regarding uploading photos:
    I have to say that I would not be happy if I had to continue with PR for any length of time without the option of ever uploading photos. By uploading I mean, I can't post any images at all. I tried numerous times.

Since Megan had the same problem with aol, I know I'm not the only person on the internet that experiences this. We don't seem to have many aol users on PR which I find interesting since aol is one of the biggest servers around. I do wonder if other people have had problems here, and just haven't mentioned it. As I said, when I posted previously no one with aol replied at all - except Megan.

Thanks for your help.

Liz

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I'm just wondering if Liz's Temp directories are enourmous and that might be causing a problem. I too have no experience with AOL, other than when the tried to break into the Australian Market and I had a look, decided didn't like it and moved on.

Really I think it is an AOL problem, I have blockers running, firewalls running, two antivirus running, trojan remover running, but I don't use AOL to connect.

I know Liz doesn't want to move to another service provider for here Intenet connection, due to all her stationary being already printed as such, but hey, this frustration won't be helping Liz as well either.

Liz, do you know anyone with another dialup account local to you to see if you could just use it to connect using your computer, modem etc, but using their dialup details as a test and seeing if it connects with your computer and you can browse, upload images etc, it would take all of 10 minutes to work through your browsing etc and that will give you a definate answer to whether it is an AOL issue.

Do you clear your temp files out when your browser closes. Look under tools, Internet Options Advanced, there is a line there that says "Empty Internet Folder when browser is Closed" under security heading (In the Internet Options Advanced Tab) near the bottom of the listing. Make sure you have it checked.

Hope it resolves soon.

Good advice Peter. One thing to add. Even if you use the "empty internet folder when browser is closed, there are a lot of files that don't delete. Remember my problem posted in computing review? I had so many files it was ridiculous. If you do a right click on the temporary internet folder, you will see just how much is really in there.
    I figured checking the option to empty the temporary internet files folder when browser is closed would take care of ALL the temporary internet files. Boy was I wrong. Along with selecting that option I suggest, right click on IE icon and selecting delete temporary internet files. It dumps all that's in the folder. I keep cookies so I don't have to continually log in. I believe disk cleanup will work as well. If your file is loaded, you may have to delete a little at a time.

Liz, I wish I could get my hands on your computer. I bet Peter feels the same. I would love to fix your problem!
    Lara

True Lara, I do remember you problem that you had, but I do that as a routine and forgot to mention that as well.

Yes I would love to get my hands on Liz's computer and get it up and running correctly for her, I do understand the frustrations and also out own frustrations with this as well. If I was near her, I would be there in a flash and fix it up.

What a challange it is to try and sort of second guess things. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Looking for the "X" factor...

I'm glad you guys are chiming in with some additional possibilities. I never thought of interent cache, but it certainly could be an issue here.

I agree with you 100% Lara that this "long distance" troubleshooting can be maddening for people like us (and I include Peter in the group) that enjoy fixing these types of problems.

There is absolutely no reason Liz should be having so much trouble browsing and interacting with this web site. Even with an AOL connection, she should be able to choose an alternative web browser and avoid the problems she's having.

I KNOW if I could just sit at her workstation armed with my limited experience (and a few pc utilities), I could get to the bottom of things quickly...

Anyway, I'm sure it's a corollary to Murphy's Law, but EXPLAINING to someone what to check and fix on a pc as opposed to just going in and doing it yourself must be AT LEAST a tenfold increase in time and effort...

What all of this brings to light is that there are an infinite amount of things that can bog down or gum up computers, beginning with how powerful a system it is to start with, then how your pc and programs are installed and configured, and finally how much junk you allow to accumulate and how methodical you are about pc maintenance and keeping everything streamlined.

I feel like we're on a mission now. We need to identify the "X" factor... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Good advice Peter. One thing to add. Even if you use the "empty internet folder when browser is closed, there are a lot of files that don't delete. Remember my problem posted in computing review? I had so many files it was ridiculous. If you do a right click on the temporary internet folder, you will see just how much is really in there.
    I figured checking the option to empty the temporary internet files folder when browser is closed would take care of ALL the temporary internet files. Boy was I wrong. Along with selecting that option I suggest, right click on IE icon and selecting delete temporary internet files. It dumps all that's in the folder. I keep cookies so I don't have to continually log in. I believe disk cleanup will work as well. If your file is loaded, you may have to delete a little at a time.

Liz, I wish I could get my hands on your computer. I bet Peter feels the same. I would love to fix your problem!

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Liz

Thanks.........however it's not the computer

Hi Folks

Just to clarify a few points......

**We have 3 computers in the house, mine is about a year old, the secretary's that is 3 years old and a laptop that is almost a year old. I've tried all computers and experience the same problem. Mine is the only one with blocking pop-up option on.
    **We always keep our internet files emptied exactly the way Lara suggested.
    **We do regular aol computer checks and fixes which deletes all temporary internet files, and cleans everything up.
    ***I have plenty of memory and space on all computers.

**I tried a friend's aol on her computer which is an older version of aol without any pop-up blocking options and had the same problem.

I only have this problem on PR, none of the other websites I go into.

The problem with the new system has not yet evolved into anything major (i.e. not allowing me to access the forums).

The time it takes to get into the posts is the only problem I'm encountering at present which was only part of the problem I had with the old forums. Sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes, 5 minutes just to get into some of the posts. Some days there is no problem with the time, but that is getting more rare. So far I can get into the forums.

Thanks for your help/advice. I do appreciate it.
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara

Liz

Question Any AOL users here that don't have any problems?

Maybe that's a better way to approach it.......heheh.....and find out what they do right

Hi Folks

Just to clarify a few points......

**We have 3 computers in the house, mine is about a year old, the secretary's that is 3 years old and a laptop that is almost a year old. I've tried all computers and experience the same problem. Mine is the only one with blocking pop-up option on.
    **We always keep our internet files emptied exactly the way Lara suggested.
    **We do regular aol computer checks and fixes which deletes all temporary internet files, and cleans everything up.
    ***I have plenty of memory and space on all computers.

**I tried a friend's aol on her computer which is an older version of aol without any pop-up blocking options and had the same problem.

I only have this problem on PR, none of the other websites I go into.

The problem with the new system has not yet evolved into anything major (i.e. not allowing me to access the forums).

The time it takes to get into the posts is the only problem I'm encountering at present which was only part of the problem I had with the old forums. Sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes, 5 minutes just to get into some of the posts. Some days there is no problem with the time, but that is getting more rare. So far I can get into the forums.

Thanks for your help/advice. I do appreciate it.
    Liz

Liz

Unhappy All of your frustrations.........sorry...

Hey Everyone......

Like I said, it's not a major deal at the moment. I can still get into the forums. I posted for help because this is how it began with the old forums....the time element.....then evolved into not being able to get in at all. However, I can get into the forums. And who knows, maybe it won't progress to that extend. Let's hope.

But......let me say, I really appreciate all the efforts you're making. But, it's my problem. Please don't anyone feel you have to spend so much time trying to figure it out. It won't work anyway; that's more obvious to me now. I just appreciate you're trying.

I'm just going to wait it out....and not worry about it. When I find it's so slow, I'll just try again later. Not to worry. And thanks again........

Maybe that's a better way to approach it.......heheh.....and find out what they do right

Thread Information