ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

You won 300 million in the Mega Millon lotto

So, now that you are ultra rich how would this effect your photography goals
    now that money is no object?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: You won 300 million in the Mega Millon lotto

I would quit my job and pursue it full time - be a full-time professional. Or - hm... I wouldn't need the money, so would I really, or would I just pursue the fine art full time? I'll buy a lottery ticket and see what happens.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Buy a House
    Install Darkroom in House
    Hasselblad with a digital and film backs
    Leica both film and digital.
    Several Large Format Cameras
    D700 with a MB-D10, 24-70mm f/2.8

Keep working.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

n8

I won't go into what I'd do with it all, but I'm sure it would involve a D3, a few pieces of new glass, and a lot of plane tickets. I'm sure I'd have to get a photo dedicated mac too.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

travel with a camera and my wife

I guess somewhat of an equipment overhaul would be in order, probably a 1Ds III body, maybe dabble in medium format. Upgrade lenses to 2.8s and primes.

I'd probably keep working my summer job, I love it, but I'd switch to only 90 days and get there early, and leave late in the season, spending the shoulders just taking photographs.

I'd buy my own plane, a house in Alaska, Homer, Palmer, Ketchikan, or Haines. Buy a winter house in Jackson, WY and a second winter home somewhere warm with water. I'd certainly travel a lot more, but probably still in a camper of some sort.

Multi day trips into the wilderness photographing would take up a lot of my time.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Not sure what I would do with it all, but it would definitely involve a top-line FF body, large prime glass and the tripods and other equipment to go with it, plus a jet lease and travel to many, many places for birds and wild animals, Africa, India, Australia, South America - not necessarily in that order and a nice place to come back to in a warm part of the world with no taxes like Monaco...what one can do when one dreams...

WesternGuy

I would buy the smallest, highest-quality kit and travel the world. Either a full set of micro 4/3 or NEX or both. After traveling with my full DSLR kit it's become apparent that you only bring that if you want to get mugged, stared at or questioned. If you want to take pictures, you bring stuff that's inconspicuous and doesn't break your back.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Travel for sure. Buy lots of equipment. And, hire someone to tote it all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I would buy the smallest, highest-quality kit and travel the world. Either a full set of micro 4/3 or NEX or both. After traveling with my full DSLR kit it's become apparent that you only bring that if you want to get mugged, stared at or questioned. If you want to take pictures, you bring stuff that's inconspicuous and doesn't break your back.
    Well I am sure if I had 300 million a would have a NEX but if someone wanted my DSLR or Leica S2 they would have to get through, Lars, my body guard first.LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I'd go after those damn martians who stole all my photo gear in your other thread.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Load up on some quality long glass and hire someone to tote it for me. Then start going to all those wonderful places I'd always dreamed of photographing.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I would shoot with any camera at any location at any time I wanted and who I wanted....well almost.

I wouldn't do it 'professionally' meaning for work or money. I would do it just for myself for my own gallery.

Definitely travel photography...

Grab a couple longer fast primes and hit the road. Find a spot, shoot there 'til I'm content, then move on.

Pick up another body and a good under water photo setup. Get fully scuba certified too. Would love to learn how to do some real underwater photography. Can't afford the time/equipment right now...

I'd also hire an assistant to manage my portfolio. Cataloging and updating my photos, making them easily accessible from anywhere, managing prints when needed, etc..

Other related gear: Top end laptop computer so I can effectively review photos in the field.

Other other...

Hire a personal chief. Love food, but would like to eat healthier and this would help immensely.

Hire a personal trainer. Getting to and from locations, anywhere I want, means I need to be in better shape.

That'd be a good start at least. I'd still have to balance my photography "wants" with my wife's, but I know she'd be game for most of the travel part, along with the chief and trainer.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

First you get that close to the thread being deleted for spam

I really don't know.
    It's not the equipment, it's not the equipment ... really no it's not, put down the 1DmkIII

I would need to use the time I'll have not working to get out there and take photographs.
    Sure, some things can only photographed by travelling, the pyramids won't come to me
    I'd love to go on safari, and to the poles.
    But is that what I want to do photographically, what someone else has done?
    Even to space?
    That's just documenting my travels for my old age.

I'd like to go beyond that.
    But how/where?
    It's a very good question.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I'd upgrade my gear and that would include cameras, video cameras, flashes, studio lights backdrops etc as well as computer and editing gear. I reckon that around 50k would make me very happy and around 100k would get everything I could think of.

I would also set up a creative space for it all and I would probably get a dozen or so entry level dslrs and camcorders and start teaching disadvantaged kids photography and video production.

I would either buy a business that would keep me in touch with it all (like a camera shop) or set myself a series of short creative projects and approach them like job devoting around 35-40 hours a week to them.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Either a full set of micro 4/3 or NEX or both. After traveling with my full DSLR kit it's become apparent that you only bring that if you want to get mugged, stared at or questioned

Greg, are you working for the lotto now, because this is making me want to go buy a ticket?

My goals wouldn't really change, I'd just buy a pair of M9's and hit the road/sky. I'd loose about 20 lbs because I'd spend months out of every year backpacking through various mountain ranges through out the world and the rest of my time wandering the streets of the nearest city trying to remember where Anthony Bourdain ate. And I'd love to go to one of David Alan Harvey's workshops.

Paul

I'm going to Disney World!!!!
    I would purchase a new camera and some lenses, get my wife and do some traveling. By having the funds available we could take our time and really enjoy what is out there to see, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am fairly happy with the bodies I have now so any money spent on photography would be spent on glass and some photography related equipment.

And airline tickets, 4x4 rentals and guides since I plan on seeing (and shooting) the world.

I have also wanted to try out large format photography so I would more than likely purchase a body and a variety of lenses and hire someone to enlighten in the operation of a LF rig.

I also agree that I wouldn't do all this as a "professional" photographer. It would be more for the love of the process than anything else. That being said, if someone absolutely had to buy something I've captured, then so be it.
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Help my family in friends. Travel to places where no one else has traveled before. Buy the photography gear I have always wanted. Donate 150 million dollars around the world. Keep the rest in the bank and ensure my family name is always taken care of.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Thread Information