ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking wonders of make up/lighting

O.k. so it seems bizarro and borders on a fine line with photography...but here goes

I've been taking pics of eyes(I know it's been done before)...I just find them very interesting especially in direct light and using the macro feature on my point and shoot

and I was amazed (it takes very little obviously) that simple make up application would change the look of something(eye) so drastically...obviously some of you have extensive experience with fashion shoots and women and make up artists...and well this is no great revelation to you...but

in my housewife world I made a discovery and thought i'd share it with the only group of people that might find it remotely interesting...so wow look at the difference in the eyes...wow ---aaaahhhh ---wow (I figured I'd show my own excitement in case no one responds and thinks I'm on drugs---I'm not by the way just once again bored and trying stuff out)

Have a great day....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

wow

Okay, since I also live in the housewife world, I can safely show my excitement too.

WOW! Did you ps those or anything? The second has deeper brown in the eyes, and brighter whites. Looks more awake, while the first one looks more sleepy. Are these in the same light?

adina

also, I prefer domestic goddess to domestic engineer. just something to think about.

Good lighting

Lighting on the second shot and makeup really make it pop. Good job.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Talking Bless you for responding

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Okay, since I also live in the housewife world, I can safely show my excitement too.

WOW! Did you ps those or anything? The second has deeper brown in the eyes, and brighter whites. Looks more awake, while the first one looks more sleepy. Are these in the same light?

adina

also, I prefer domestic goddess to domestic engineer. just something to think about.
    the first/second I took out a freaky freckle and some bloodshot spots in the whites of the eyes...and both were adjusted slightly in brightness and contrast settings and sharpened the same amount.

the lighting on the first was a window coming from about a 45 degree angle and the sun had gone behind a cloud the second was full blast sun at noonish (what's a little eye damage for your art-right?) with more attention to my eye being wide open
    and just cool copper eyeshadows and the usual accoutrements of women (aka eyeliner mascara,curling brush)

if you get direct light into your eye (lamp or sun) it gives you this rich bright color(I guess depending on your eye color) try it you'll like it.

I was supprised after the adjustments I mentioned how clear the eye was....as opposed to the other...thnaks for looking

I prefer engineer to goddess, I struggle with humility and being a worker as opposed to a goddess keeps me humble-he he
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Natatbeach

What can I say the others haven't already said. That being said, it is interesting how differences in tones, colours and lighting can change the persepective of what one captures.

In the first one, looking closely, the pupil is more dilated, that is why there is less brown to the iris. The window light is very apparent on the left side from 8.45 to 10.30 and reflection off of what looks like a woden floor maybe at 6 o'clock whit I think the camera showing deat centre of the pupil. Skin tones are flatish and not as in focus as the second image.

Looking at the eyes from one to the other is it sort of hard to tell if they are the same eye. By the way, you have a stray hair on the upper lid outer aspect never the eyelid join that is distracting, you should remove it. ;)

The second one is excellent, fuller eye lashes, great textures of the skin, detail is good and less distraction reflection of the eye. Although more redness than I would like to see in the eye mucosa. Need some eye drops to help that. Don't forget the tip for baggy eyes, (not that you have any at all), using hemorrioid cream to take the puffiness out, it does work.

Of the two eyes, I like the second better, but I also like natural looking skin tones as well, so don't discount the first. I think the lack of sharpness of the skin the first one is it's only real down fall.

Nice make up by the way, very suttle and well done.

And these comments are from a house dad.

Share with us how you get to take a photo of your eye and get it so exact, what is the secret.

Peter's response was excellent, so there's nothing for me to add except that it's obvious that make-up has enhanced the careers of many a model and movie star. Without it, they would simply be one of us. :-) Great examples, Nat.

Share with us how you get to take a photo of your eye and get it so exact, what is the secret

It's called macro mode and hold it about two inches from your eyeball and shoot away till you have just the right one

Looking at the eyes from one to the other is it sort of hard to tell if they are the same eye. By the way, you have a stray hair on the upper lid outer aspect never the eyelid join that is distracting, you should remove it. ;)

sorry but I'm not pulling out an eyelash! NOT THAT dedicated-lol ...as far as it being the same eye (that's why I posted) I thought is was really amazing that the expression of the eye and look could be so drastically changed just by lighting.

Although more redness than I would like to see in the eye mucosa. Need some eye drops to help that. Don't forget the tip for baggy eyes, (not that you have any at all), using hemorrioid cream to take the puffiness out, it does work.

my eye was watering pretty badly by this point and it was a strain to keep it open in the sun...they were really bloodshot from straining(why I had to use PS to clear the red lines....I agree about the pinkness...kinda gross...

as far as butt cream---no thanks----cucumbers do the same and chammomile teabags too

Thnaks for your observations Pete
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

let's not forget the wonders

of good 'ole PS work and post editing. they had a great talk about that at the Photo Expo in NY last year....they lenghtened torso...erased wrinkles...increased this---tugged that.

AAaaahhhh the wonders of Digital cosmetic surgery...faster cheaper and less painful!
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

we are blessed

with big long windows and lots of light at our place....thnaks for looking
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Y'all are funny...

First of all, I'm NOT poking fun at your thread. As a fashion shooter, I have a very deep appreciation for a talented makeup artist and their ability to work wonders with faces, especially eyes...

It's just that Nat's original post and Adina's response seem almost like observations a GUY would have on the subject. I mean, WE'RE the ones that were shocked the first time we saw "beautiful" or famous women without any makeup on. Or how a somewhat "plain" face or "ugly duckling" can be transformed into a stunner with the right makeup look and styling.

I always figured women instinctively knew all this stuff. I mean, didn't you ladies start using makeup, even if it was just play, as little girls?

Anyway, my slightly off-center sense of humor aside, I think these are very good observations everyone is making. One of the biggest kicks I get as a shooter is seeing a new model professionally styled for the first time. Sometimes there is actually a moment of shock as they hardly recognize themselves.

What's even better is that this "mask" often triggers an inner attitude or confidence that the model may have not even known was there. THAT'S what often makes the shot...

BTW, as an ex-NYer, it almost makes me physically ILL to use the phrase "y'all", but somehow it seemed to fit my mood...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    O.k. so it seems bizarro and borders on a fine line with photography...but here goes

I've been taking pics of eyes(I know it's been done before)...I just find them very interesting especially in direct light and using the macro feature on my point and shoot

and I was amazed (it takes very little obviously) that simple make up application would change the look of something(eye) so drastically...obviously some of you have extensive experience with fashion shoots and women and make up artists...and well this is no great revelation to you...but

in my housewife world I made a discovery and thought i'd share it with the only group of people that might find it remotely interesting...so wow look at the difference in the eyes...wow ---aaaahhhh ---wow (I figured I'd show my own excitement in case no one responds and thinks I'm on drugs---I'm not by the way just once again bored and trying stuff out)

Have a great day....
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

sigh of relief

I was almost afraid to read what you were going to say....

It's just that Nat's original post and Adina's response seem almost like observations a GUY would have on the subject. I mean, WE'RE the ones that were shocked the first time we saw "beautiful" or famous women without any makeup on. Or how a somewhat "plain" face or "ugly duckling" can be transformed into a stunner with the right makeup look and styling.I always figured women instinctively knew all this stuff. I mean, didn't you ladies start using makeup, even if it was just play, as little girls?

Us girl's...we really do know that make up can transform us from a beast to a "beauty" but on that rare occasion that the make-up comes together well (about 5 times a year- he he) it is quite shocking how well it all works together and how different we can look.

I'm a really big fan of a guy named Kevyn Aucoin who was an amazing artist---I could look at his books and transforamtion of women and it floors me...how pigmented powders and cremes can do that http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/intera...content.1.html

Anyway, my slightly off-center sense of humor aside,

Surely you jest---it couldn't be yourself, that you're refering to (see first line of post )

Thnaks for looking and for your input from your experience.....
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Interesting

Hi Nat,

What a difference! And what a great job you did with the photos. You've got a great imagination and I'm always amazed at your creativity, and how you accomplish your goals. It's amazing how many interesting images you come up with from around the house. It makes me wonder what's going to happen when Spring finally arrives and you get outside! Just kidding. You have a great gift, and your ideas are amazing.

Liz

Have a great day....

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Kevyn, too...

Any of his books are great reference manuals for makeup. What he was so good at was playfully "painting" women, both famous and unknown, to create virtually any kind of look he wanted, including classic celebrities throughout history. So sad that he's gone...

The main book I use now to help pinpoint looks for my stylists is called, MAKEUP YOUR MIND by Francois Nars. What makes this book so interesting is that there are hundreds of pics of models with and without makeup.

Many of them are famous models, and yet the majority of the women without makeup had a very andogynous or boyish look. I'm sure this would come as a surprise, if not shock, to most men...

I was almost afraid to read what you were going to say....

It's just that Nat's original post and Adina's response seem almost like observations a GUY would have on the subject. I mean, WE'RE the ones that were shocked the first time we saw "beautiful" or famous women without any makeup on. Or how a somewhat "plain" face or "ugly duckling" can be transformed into a stunner with the right makeup look and styling.I always figured women instinctively knew all this stuff. I mean, didn't you ladies start using makeup, even if it was just play, as little girls?

Us girl's...we really do know that make up can transform us from a beast to a "beauty" but on that rare occasion that the make-up comes together well (about 5 times a year- he he) it is quite shocking how well it all works together and how different we can look.

I'm a really big fan of a guy named Kevyn Aucoin who was an amazing artist---I could look at his books and transforamtion of women and it floors me...how pigmented powders and cremes can do that http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/intera...content.1.html

Anyway, my slightly off-center sense of humor aside,

Surely you jest---it couldn't be yourself, that you're refering to (see first line of post )

Thnaks for looking and for your input from your experience.....

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I'll have to check out Francois Nars...I love the before and after thing so I can see what went where. Thanks for the info....

It is sad that Kevyn died at such a young age...it's almost like we ended up with only a glimpse of his genius at work...very sad---and a major loss.
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Sex

Becasue it's always about sex.

Interesting, from a Human Sexuality course in college, how a woman's make-up mimics the female sexual response cycle.

The reddening of the lips, the blushing of the cheeks, the widening of the eyes; all of these are describing the physiological changes whic occur in the human female which are reproduced in her make-up ritual. Does she do this for her own pleasure? Or men?

Who's to say? It's interesting fodder for a debate, anyway

Rickster (always trying to get in trouble ;)
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

You know Steve, I think all girls are boys at heart, and all boys are girls at heart. Most boys just can't get in touch with their feminine side at all, and some boys can.

Try living with three woman all the time (wife and 2 daughters), it is an effort because you always get roused on about the toilet seat.

When the girls get a little older then they can start playing around with make-up, until then have to experiment in other ways I suppose.

Thumbs up you crack me up!

I just couldn't stop laughing...I actually had a Mary Kay get together this weekend
    (I love their make -up) it stays on from the minute you put it on to the last minute of the day...it's amazing stuff if you follow their skin care regime as well. Anyway....

we were talking about that very thing and how some women won't even think of going out of the house without make up.... me, I usually tend to have no make up and look like a boyish hag of sorts...it's pretty scary...more frightening is when Larry says "sweetheart you look so pretty without make up" -GAG!

I always feel like responding "which part do you love the most---my jaundiced looking blotchy complexion or my dark circles that make me look so good." You gotta love the fact that God makes 'em blind to the scariness over time...

Thanks for your sense of humor...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Actually, I like women BOTH WAYS...

Penny, you're a riot, but I have to agree with you that always being seen with makeup on is one of the MANY burdens that a lot of women seem to accept in our society...

Still, I like the way women look without makeup, and have always been comfortable with friends and girlfriends that would only get "done up" for going out and special occasions.

What's funny (or perhaps ironic) is that many fashion models that actually have a real career (not wannabes) and work a lot almost never wear makeup when they're not booked for a job. Away from a set, they usually prefer a very casual, or even "fumpy" look with baggy clothes and no makeup.

I think they get sick of being "styled" so often and they just want to be comfortable the rest of the time, and not draw atttention to themselves. Anyway, I've always liked that look, too. To me, it's a self-confidence that a woman knows she can make herself look good when she wants to, but doesn't feel she has to be that way all the time...

I just couldn't stop laughing...I actually had a Mary Kay get together this weekend
    (I love their make -up) it stays on from the minute you put it on to the last minute of the day...it's amazing stuff if you follow their skin care regime as well. Anyway....

we were talking about that very thing and how some women won't even think of going out of the house without make up.... me, I usually tend to have no make up and look like a boyish hag of sorts...it's pretty scary...more frightening is when Larry says "sweetheart you look so pretty without make up" -GAG!

I always feel like responding "which part do you love the most---my jaundiced looking blotchy complexion or my dark circles that make me look so good." You gotta love the fact that God makes 'em blind to the scariness over time...

Thanks for your sense of humor...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Wink I prefer domestic goddess

Quote Originally Posted by adina

adina

I LIKE IT!!!!

And very appropriate as well!

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    i can tell alot from these image ..... eyes are quite revealing ;)

these are yours aren't they!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Next time in you are in the bookstore/library, check out a few of the books by the late Kevyn Aucoin. He was a Hollywood make-up artist and sometime photographer. The transformations in his book Faces Forward are almost magical. He was a good photographer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Next time in you are in the bookstore/library, check out a few of the books by the late Kevyn Aucoin. He was a Hollywood make-up artist and sometime photographer. The transformations in his book Faces Forward are almost magical. He was a good photographer, too.
    From an earlier post
    I'm a really big fan of a guy named Kevyn Aucoin who was an amazing artist---I could look at his books and transforamtion of women and it floors me...how pigmented powders and cremes can do that
    http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/inter.../content.1.html

Making Faces was the forst that got me hooked...I didn't know he was a photographer as well...thanks for the info...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Becasue it's always about sex.
    So go check out my cabbage and celery posts and tell me how that relates to sex....

Some people are just trouble (all the way around)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    i can tell a lot from these image ..... eyes are quite revealing ;)

these are yours aren't they!
    Do tell WHAT do you see ??????

yuppers on the mine

hey, here's a person's "website" she had some neat (not all in focus or technically perfect by your standards) but pretty interesting shots never the less of flora and fauna

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d....asp?mem=54107
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb

you're full of it!!!! you have brown eyes like me!!!

hahaha

her images(the link) aren't that difficult d60/1D with a 70-200 on sanibel/captiva is like a 600f4 in just about everywhere outside FL. the birds are everyday stuff, but her flowers were cool
    Last edited by paulnj; 03-11-2004 at 02:19 PM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information