ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking My first two commissioned jobs! YAY!

Well, in spite of having moved to a new country just 1 year ago, some word has gotten around that I'm a bit of a photographer.

Ironically enough, in the land of cameras and photographers (Japan) where I see literally hundreds of people with equipment far superior to my own and would gladly sacrifice a couple virgins to get... (e.g. L-series 400mm Canon lenses are just about as common as schoolgirl uniforms around here)...

Nevertheless, I was recently commissioned to do a couple of works for different people. I was very flattered, of course, and went about it as quickly as possible. I'd like to share some of the final results with my friends here at PR.

The first photo was for someone who wanted a centerpiece for their living room. They wanted something distinctly Japanese, but gave me no other guidelines.... This made it especially challenging for me. I asked for a theme, but the response I got was: "you're the artist -- I trust your judgement completely." The best I could gather, was that B&W was preferable to color, and the person who had requested the work enjoys Japanese calligraphy very much. I used a classic photo I had taken of Matsumoto Castle in Nagano prefecture, and removed all color except for the bridge. I then added the Japanese writing, which translates to: "My castle is in the hearts of my people." It was uttered by a famous samurai warlord: Takeda Shingen in the 16th century. He actually captured Matsumoto Castle at one point in his career. The seal or "hanko" is in kanji -- my family name. In any case, I blew it up to an 8x10 and presented the final product matted and framed. He was extremely happy with my work..... :-)

The next photos are a set of four... They are part of a larger series. I chose my favorites to showcase. This was work done for a local artist who recycles plastic grocery bags into flowers. The flowers were then put on display at a local art gallery. I was commissioned to provide her with a cross-section of the exhibit that she could use in future promotions of her work. I have not yet presented her with my final work, so I hope she will like the photos. I used a different hanko (seal) in this series. My name remains the same, but it is done in a style called "tensho" or 'seal script.' It's used pretty much only for official or artistic purposes on seals.

I hope that as I spend more time in Japan I will have many more opportunities like this.... I am also working on a third project at the moment: someone wanted a slideshow of some of my more touristy-type shots to compile into a self-running slideshow on CD-ROM which she hopes to send to people in the USA..... That one is a LOT of work so it will take some time...

Cheers everyone!
    JD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wink Commissioned work #2

Hope this works....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That's impressive work, Jim. Congrats on the commissions.

Congrats, Jim ... I'm sure this will open up even more opportunities for you. Fine work.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Really nice....

I loved all of the red bridges!
    Some day maybe I'll get a chance to go back.

Congrats on the commissions, the work is fantastic.

Megan

Quote Originally Posted by JimDunlop
    Well, in spite of having moved to a new country just 1 year ago, some word has gotten around that I'm a bit of a photographer.

Ironically enough, in the land of cameras and photographers (Japan) where I see literally hundreds of people with equipment far superior to my own and would gladly sacrifice a couple virgins to get... (e.g. L-series 400mm Canon lenses are just about as common as schoolgirl uniforms around here)...

Nevertheless, I was recently commissioned to do a couple of works for different people. I was very flattered, of course, and went about it as quickly as possible. I'd like to share some of the final results with my friends here at PR.

The first photo was for someone who wanted a centerpiece for their living room. They wanted something distinctly Japanese, but gave me no other guidelines.... This made it especially challenging for me. I asked for a theme, but the response I got was: "you're the artist -- I trust your judgement completely." The best I could gather, was that B&W was preferable to color, and the person who had requested the work enjoys Japanese calligraphy very much. I used a classic photo I had taken of Matsumoto Castle in Nagano prefecture, and removed all color except for the bridge. I then added the Japanese writing, which translates to: "My castle is in the hearts of my people." It was uttered by a famous samurai warlord: Takeda Shingen in the 16th century. He actually captured Matsumoto Castle at one point in his career. The seal or "hanko" is in kanji -- my family name. In any case, I blew it up to an 8x10 and presented the final product matted and framed. He was extremely happy with my work..... :-)

The next photos are a set of four... They are part of a larger series. I chose my favorites to showcase. This was work done for a local artist who recycles plastic grocery bags into flowers. The flowers were then put on display at a local art gallery. I was commissioned to provide her with a cross-section of the exhibit that she could use in future promotions of her work. I have not yet presented her with my final work, so I hope she will like the photos. I used a different hanko (seal) in this series. My name remains the same, but it is done in a style called "tensho" or 'seal script.' It's used pretty much only for official or artistic purposes on seals.

I hope that as I spend more time in Japan I will have many more opportunities like this.... I am also working on a third project at the moment: someone wanted a slideshow of some of my more touristy-type shots to compile into a self-running slideshow on CD-ROM which she hopes to send to people in the USA..... That one is a LOT of work so it will take some time...

Cheers everyone!
    JD
    Hi Jim,

Congrats on the commission and sharing the fine work that you do.

I will be going to California's Anzo-Borrego desert in the next few days to photograph the desert landscape and wildflowers which should be spectuclar season this year. I have never photographed flowers and would appreciate any advise on technique that you can offer. I will be shooting with a Pentax 67II and possibly a 4x5 also. I don't have any macro lens, just a close-up lens for the Pentax normal lens (105mm).

Thanks,

Thomas

Shooting Flowers

Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry -- I don't think my reply will have made it to you in time for your shoot. However, for your future projects, and perhaps for others on this forum, I can say how I usually shoot flowers....

First off, your lack of macro lens poses a bit of a challenge, but that doesn't mean it's not do-able. Worst case scenario, try to get as close as you possibly can at minimum focal length, then try to compensate by cropping later.

In any event, I always use a tripod for this type of shot, and remote-control shutter release is your best friend. The biggest challenge I have is at low shutter speeds with the wind moving my flowers around. F-stops are usually as low as possible (i.e. 2.8 to 4 max) to help blur out the background. I always use natural light, as a flash (especially at that distance) will not be pretty -- the exception is a ring-light, but I've never used one and it would take me some time to play with it.

I don't know how the pros do it, but that's the way I shoot this kind of picture... It works for me. I also try to use a nicely saturated film (or if you are shooting digital, up the saturation a little in Photoshop) to get a vivid-color picture in the end.

Best of luck,

JD

Anza Borrego

Mornin' Thomas,

The Anza Borrego is one of my favorite spots in CA to visit and photograph. I was out there this time last year, but due to the complete lack of rain for the two years prior, there were NO flowers to shoot.

Where are you coming in from? How long do you plan on staying? While you are there, be sure to visit the slot canyons and hike into the Borrego Palm canyon. The hike is easy and there's a beautiful oasis at trail's ean (roughly 1 mile). There should be an abundance of flowers along the way.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
    ~Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor7
    I will be going to California's Anzo-Borrego desert in the next few days to photograph...
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

They all look great JD

Congrats on getting the jobs. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have to share with us.

~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Mornin' Thomas,

The Anza Borrego is one of my favorite spots in CA to visit and photograph. I was out there this time last year, but due to the complete lack of rain for the two years prior, there were NO flowers to shoot.

Where are you coming in from? How long do you plan on staying? While you are there, be sure to visit the slot canyons and hike into the Borrego Palm canyon. The hike is easy and there's a beautiful oasis at trail's ean (roughly 1 mile). There should be an abundance of flowers along the way.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
    ~Brian
    Hi Brian, Jim,

Thank you both for your reply.

I live in Fremont, Ca, about 560 miles North of Anza-Borrego and will be driving down in about 4-hours (abt 3am PST).

This will be my first visit to the area and according to all reports this should be a great wildflower season. The peak should reasonably coincide with my visit. I'm taking a Pentax 67II, tripod (for me, the P67 is too heavy for hand-held shots),15 rolls of Velvia 50, and a Nikon 35mm with a few rolls of Fuji Acros B&W and Provia for the road down. This should be plenty of film as the best shots will be restricted to early morning and late afternoon.

For guides I have the December '03 issue of Photograph America which features Anza-Borrego, California Hiking which has descriptions of various trails in the park, and the text California Geology which devotes a couple of chapters on the desert regions of the state. I definetly will be taking the Palm Canyon hike which is featured in this months National Geographic Adventure. However, this will not be a backpacking trip as I plan to car-camp (tent and air mattress) and possibly stay at an inexpensive motel recommended in Photograph America while trying to see as much of the area as possible. All hikes will be restricted to a few miles in and back out.

I have about 4 full days to spend in the park before driving back Monday or Tuesday and am looking forward to seeing this fantastic landscape and, hopefully, capturing some of what I see on film.

Thomas

I know you won't see this...

Before you leave, but I hope all goes will with your trip. I can't wait to see some of your photos upon your return!

~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

Thread Information