ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: top 5

top 5

photographers of the last 50 years

in no particular order

1. william coupon
    2. dan winters
    3. hideki sugimoto
    4. robert parr
    5. lauren greenfield

Re: top 5

Quote Originally Posted by iJoe

in no particular order

1. william coupon
    2. dan winters
    3. hideki sugimoto
    4. robert parr
    5. lauren greenfield
    in no particular order

• Hodgy
    • Austin Powers
    • Foto Willem
    • Tuna
    • Everyone Else at photographyreview.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    in no particular order

• Hodgy
    • Austin Powers
    • Foto Willem
    • Tuna
    • Everyone Else at photographyreview.com
    in no particular order

• Me
    • Myself
    • I
    • Almo
    • John Cowan
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

in no particular order

1.Me with a N60

2. ME with a f100

3. ME with a leica IIIG

4. ME with a 1D

5. ALL others

NO REALLY

1-5.. A. Morris, Frans Lanting, Brian Small Gene Bowhay(who shoots Penny's sweet likeness) and Sebastian Szyszka ALL others are PHOTOSHOPtographers hahahaha

ADD Irakly in there too... HIS IMAGES have wowed me from the first to the last posted!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Talking I Must Not Get Out Enough

Quote Originally Posted by iJoe

in no particular order

1. william coupon
    2. dan winters
    3. hideki sugimoto
    4. robert parr
    5. lauren greenfield

I've only heard of one of these guys! :-O

OK, actually, I think I've heard of a couple others, but still, that's three of the five?!

Maybe I'm more interested in learning how to, and not photography history.

My list would include (in no particular order) Galen Rowell, Frans Lanting, John Shaw, Robert Caputo, and Ansel Adams.

Here on PR, I don't think I could pick just five. Irakly Shanidze, Asylum Steve, Charles Hess, Andy Armstrong, Loren Crannell, the list goes on and on. All of these guys produce gorgeous glamour shots, and IMHO glamour shots are about the hardest thing to do well in photography.

And lets not forget Sebastain Szyszka, who has way too much talent for such a young punk, and has impressed me from the beginning with his eye for composition. (Lava Lamp also has a great eye for composition) If you want contructive criticism, then Seb can give it to you. It helps to not have thin skin though. ;-)

Paul Almendinger, who calls wildlife shots crap, when the rest of us would die to get shots as good as he does. Natalie and Adina, who do self portraits better than some of us take of others. Self portraits are incredibly hard to do well, but they produce gorgeous images of themselves.

Penny Bowhay, who is not only a talented photographer, but one of the most encouraging individuals I have ever dealt with, and I can't wait to meet in person.

Brian Schiele and John Shafer, who specialize in shooting Mountain Biking, but can shoot anything else that they take a notion to shoot.

And so it goes. More talent here than you can shake a stick at (or point a camera at).

Picking five pro's is easy. But a PR list would have to be a top 50 (minimum)!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: I Must Not Get Out Enough

Well..... The images I post here are mostly crap..... I email a few select people the good ones ;) BUT for you I will post another image . (new thread)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    That would be a neat little contest to have set up...everybody submits a picture, have an independant outside source rank them 1-50 Sound good John?!

I'm holding steady at 51...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I've only heard of one of these guys! :-O

OK, actually, I think I've heard of a couple others, but still, that's three of the five?!

Maybe I'm more interested in learning how to, and not photography history.
    all of those folks are well respected nationally known photographers working right now.

i truely believe the best way to be inventive and origional is to have a solid understanding of what has been done and what is possible in our medium, and in all arts.

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Well I think it's great to have a solid understanding of the art (history) that your participating in - but I do not think it is the best way to be inventive and/or original. I do not know any of the photographers that were first posted...and I doubt that they would inspire me as much as people on this forum because of the improvement that can be achieved through discussion of your own and others work. Plus, most people around here have some serious talent and I would put their work against any "nationally known photographer".

In particular order:
    1. Tuna - His work is amazing. For inspiration I do go to his gallery and look at some remarkable photographs. I'm currently in the process of selling my soul to be as good as he is. ;)
    2. Brian Elliot - My homie...his photography has blown me away since I first saw them and has been an inspiration ever since. Talking about photography with him has helped shape how and why I photograph. A great guy to bang my philosophies around with.
    3. Gahspidy - His series (A View From Within...) still makes me think about my photography as a whole rather than individual pieces. I always appreciate a critique from Gary, I have gone back to do reshoots off of his suggestions and my photos came out ten-fold better.
    4. Laura Priest - Her darkroom skills kick ass. She has helped me with the simplest of film questions and has made me want to stick to B&W film and get into to the darkroom as soon as possible.
    5. Garry Winogrand - Dedication to the art. Period. “I have a burning desire to see what things look like photographed by me.” -Garry Winogrand , said when he was asked why he photographs.

6-1,000 the rest of ya on this forum. Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Brian Schiele and John Shafer, who specialize in shooting Mountain Biking, but can shoot anything else that they take a notion to shoot.

And so it goes. More talent here than you can shake a stick at (or point a camera at).

But a PR list would have to be a top 50 (minimum)!

Thanks Robert!
    I am kind of shifting gears a little though, I don't think I will ever stop shooting crazy bike stuff, but I am kind of in a Holga mindset right now..
    There are A LOT of GREAT PHOTOGRAPHERS around here and I am happy to call you my friends,
    One that hasn't been mentioned here is Megan, she is an EXCELLENT Holga Photographer!
    Don't forget yourself too! You are a great astronomical photographer!
    Then there are the Nikon Samurai's! You Know who you are!!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I would add in there James Natchwey. He is the most dominant news shooter going right now. He finds himself somehow in every war and creating some of the best work out there. Somehow he manages to clean up on all the awards year after year.

As far as pros:

Frans Lanting
    James Nachtwey
    Ellen von Unwerth
    Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Ami Vitale

Those are off the top of my head, if I thought a little harder I may come up with different names than the last two.

As far as PR photogs go, I can only say that I always tell people to come here because of the quality of the images and of course, the people behind them.
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Thread Information