Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera for action shots, top quality prints, PLUS zoom??? Does it exist?

I need a GOOD camera for action shots - as quick a shutter speed as possible. I would like 6 mp or more, plus at least a 5x optical zoom...prefer 8 or above. Also needs to be decent in low-light situations. Am I asking for the moon? Oh yes, I'd like to stay under $1,000. I am a bit uneducated when it comes to all the different camera terms, so what specific specs should I be looking for in order to take low-light, quick action photos that can be printed out to am 8x10 or larger? Thanks!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Camera for action shots, top quality prints, PLUS zoom??? Does it exist?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRabbit
    I need a GOOD camera for action shots - as quick a shutter speed as possible. I would like 6 mp or more, plus at least a 5x optical zoom...prefer 8 or above. Also needs to be decent in low-light situations. Am I asking for the moon? Oh yes, I'd like to stay under $1,000. I am a bit uneducated when it comes to all the different camera terms, so what specific specs should I be looking for in order to take low-light, quick action photos that can be printed out to am 8x10 or larger? Thanks!
    You need a DSLR to satisfy all these needs. The cost will be about double the $1000 you have which includes a decent lens. Sorry!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    You need a DSLR to satisfy all these needs. The cost will be about double the $1000 you have which includes a decent lens. Sorry!
    OK, so what would come close in or under my price range? Maybe make a few sacrifices to make it affordable - what can I afford to sacrifice and still get decent quality 8x10 or larger prints, somewhat quick shutter speed (or at least a really good burst mode)?

You could get close

A Digital Rebel (Canon 300D) will get you close to what you are looking for. The Camera plus lens is going for about $900 give or take. Canon is currently offering rebates on the Drebel $100 for the body, and double or triple the rebate if certain lenses are purchased along with the camera. Dreb with the kit lens(OK quality lens) and a 70-200 f/4 L lens will set you back around $1700 the rebate on the body will be $200 and the rebate on the lens will be $30 making the total cost $1470, not bad for a quality DSLR. Or choose a second lens and get a triple rebate on everything you purchase. Several possibilities exist with the rebate program. Canon has a list of lenses and rebates available. http://bobatkins.com/photography/digital/rebates.html
    The Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 looks impressive, although it will still have more shutter lag than a DSLR. It has 5mp and a 12x zoom with a fixed f/2.8 aperture Leica lens. It retails at around $500. It's biggest drawback is it's high ISO performance is very noisy, anything above 200 is not so good, a Drebel will blow it away for high ISO performance, and fast response.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Canon G6?

What kind of action do you want to photograph? It makes a difference. Regardless of your budget, it could be that a digital SLR is your only choice. What kind of camera and results are you used to? If you're used to a 35mm SLR, you'll likely be disappointed with any compact digital camera. Most 35mm autofocus SLRs are still quicker than any compact digital camera.

Here are some specific answers to your questions. Any good camera with a minimum 4 megapixel sensor will deliver excellent quality 8x10 prints. Shutter-lag is the issue. In the last year camera manufacturers have finally started upgrading compact digital camera processors to minimize shutter-lag. There's still a very noticeable difference between digital SLRs and compact digital cameras when it comes to shutter-lag. But compacts have gotten much better. Although I agree with Michael and EOS 3 when it comes to digital SLRs, I'll play devil's advocate and encourage you to look at high-end compacts. Check the $500+ cameras by Canon, Casio, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus. They've all made an effort to decrease start-up and response time and they might do the job for you. But before you commit, test them! And compare them to digital SLRs. As I said, there is a noticeable difference.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRabbit
    Theres really only one choice, and thats the Nikon d70 dslr . It has a faster frame rate than the Rebel, and writes very fast. It also makes very good images at iso 800. one more thing, it has a maximum flash sync of 1/500 second.
    The non slr cameras (all in one zoom lens cameras) sensors are all pretty worthless above iso 200 or 400. Add to that shutter lag (the time from when you push the button to the time the camera takes the picture) and poor burst rate, these cameras are not an option.
    You can get a D 70 for $999 with a $100 rebate = $899. two sigma lenses, 18-55 and 50-200 for $239 for the pair at b&h photo. $1,138 plus shipping.
    Thats everything you want for a slight premium.
    For a lot more details check out Ken Rocwell.com.
    P.S
    I don't use nikon And I don't have a digital camera. I have a minolta maxxum 7and I'm waiting for minolta to make a dslr I can afford. If I had Nikon lenses I would have a d 70.
    mark.

Re: Canon G6?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    What kind of action do you want to photograph? It makes a difference. Regardless of your budget, it could be that a digital SLR is your only choice. What kind of camera and results are you used to? If you're used to a 35mm SLR, you'll likely be disappointed with any compact digital camera. Most 35mm autofocus SLRs are still quicker than any compact digital camera.
    I am taking action shots of horses at shows and out in the field - some shows are indoor with iffy lighting. I have gone back to my regular 35mm Canon since my current digital camera doesn't cut it (OK, I bought it in 1999, it's a Sony Mavica FD-91 ) The lag time is my biggest issue, I want the camera to take the picture the instant I press the shutter.

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information