ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...

The weather down here in so. Cal was just gorgeous on Saturday, so my wife and I hopped in our Jeep Liberty and took a drive up to Santa Barbara. When we got to the pier we took a little boat ride around the harbor, where I took these and several other pics. The only bad thing was that I was shooting all day in the WRONG white balance setting. I had experimented with WB the night before and forgot to set it back to the custom setting I use. Won't make that mistate AGAIN. Okay, I probably will, but I WILL be more careful for now on since it took forever to color correct these photos. Some of them were just worthless, dagnabbit. In any event, my wife really like these pictures so we're gonna have them printed and put in one of those tri-photo frames with the parasailer in the middle. Canon EOS DRebel w/70-300 lens.

Ray

Oops, I guess I should attach the photos.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-sailboat1.jpg   It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-parasailing.jpg   It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-sailboat2.jpg  

Liz

Photo.......

No. 2 is my favorite - awesome background and the balloon is very sharp. The colors look good on my monitor. BTW, the others are sharp with good color also.

Liz

Thanks Liz. That second is my favorite too. It's too bad I ruined a few shots with the wrong WB but at least these and a few others were salvagable.

Penny, next time you and Gene plan to go up to Santa Barbara let me and Claudia know. We can make it a double date! And you're right...it's a beautiful city all around. That's exactly what I was telling Claudia while we were driving around. Photo ops are all over the place. In fact, our print exchange picture for the Yosemite trip was shot at the mission with the rose garden and mission in the background.

Ray

Hi Ray,

You're making me jealous! I grew up in SB, graduated from San Marcos high school.

If you're using PS you may easily be able to change the wb by just choosing the complimentary color. Create a layer, fill that layer with that color. Change the blend mode to "color" and change the opacity until you're happy. Finally, flatten.

If you're using PS CS, select "photo filter" from the "adjutment layer" icon at the bottom of the layers box. It does the above steps. Adjust the opacity until you're happy and flatten.

Mike

These shots just shout "Southern California", with the beautiful water, the haze, the palm trees. They will look nice framed.

Thanks darkman and Charles. Say, I forgot to include some Santa Barbara wildlife!

#1 A street vendor's slithering snake. Pretty tame, but my hands stayed on the camera.

#2 A pier seagull gives me his best side.

#3 Sunbathing sealions put on quite a show for us.

#4 And yes, we'll include these as well: Green Party protesters ranting about the war in Iraq, drumming and chanting and wishing it was still the '60's. Not as cute as the other critters-nor as quiet for that matter-but still a unique part of the diverse environment that makes Santa Barbara what it is.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-snake.jpg   It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-seagull.jpg   It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-sealions.jpg   It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-protesting1.jpg  

And finally...

Just to show that I can be an objective photographer even when the story disagrees with my views, I present the following political photo (note: from the same flock of Green Party protesters shown above).

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It was a Santa Barbara kind of day...-protesting2.jpg  

Ok, so I made it!!

I did get to comment on your pics!! I love that parasailing (sp?) image. Awesome. All of them are great though. Nice work, and the last one in B/W just cracked me up. That's hilarious!!
    Have a good one Ray!!
    Brian

Thread Information