ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Santa Barbara coast wildgrass

Still unsure about the framing, but I thought this particular batch of grass was unique in that it was bent over whereas the others shot straight up.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Barbara coast wildgrass-grass.jpg  

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

It works!

Nice shot. I think the framing works. What were you unsure about?

Megan

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Ray,
    i think this is nice as is!

the only thing i see that would improve this image(to me) is slightly more area to include every bristle? completely and to have the subject entering from the bottom(not the lower right)

all this may be a simple re-crop i think?
    Last edited by paulnj; 03-17-2004 at 07:42 AM. Reason: simple has an M.. RUN-ON SENTENCE STAYS!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Megan and Paul. What I'll do is repost it later, cropped per Paul's suggestion to see if it appears any better.

Ray

How's this, Paul?

Recropped. Unfortunately I had to redo it from the original file, so it may not have the same color balance as the previous one.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Barbara coast wildgrass-wildgrass2.jpg  

Wow, I like both. The re-crop really pops out and feels more dramatic to me. Colors look the same, on my monitor anyway.

What lens/camera/settings were you using?
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hi I_Fly (hey, that's cute),

I shoot with a Nikon CoolPix 5000. In this particular shot I used the Nikon 2x Teleconverter lens to get that good depth of field. However I'm selling this setup because I think I'm ready to move up a step to either a Canon D60 or a Nikon D100 (leaning toward the canon). Thanks for the comments!

Ray

My pleasure to comment, just saw your bumble bee shot also, that's awesome.

My guess is that you'll enjoy either, especially having such a wide choice of lenses. As a Canon shooter I can say I really love my 1D (and my A2 film camera). I would still encourage you to try and get your hands on both and choose the one that "fits" you best. Just out of curiousity, is there a reason you're looking at the D60 instead of the 10D? It's my understanding that it and the D100 would be the direct, current competitors from Canon and Nikon.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the comment on the bumblebee too!

The one thing that will be the determining factor for a new camera is money. I ain't got much of it right now. It may still be a while before I can even afford to make the switch as there are other priorities at the moment. But that is why the D60 appeals to me....that and its capabilities seem to match my current progress as a photographer, and so I think it would satisfy me for the next year or so as the Nikon CP5000 has done this past year that I have had it.

Ray

Makes perfect sense to me. Although I will still encourage you to get your hands on them and pick the one that "fits"!

It's obvious you've figured out how to get some excellent shots from the CP5000! I'd guess that whatever you choose to go to next will produce equally excellent shots.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Well thank you, Troy. I appreciate the encouragement!

And yes, I will check out both cameras before actually making my choice. If I had my way, I'd be shooting with a 1D too! But, one has to be practical as well.

Ray

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Ray, MUCH BETTER,but both are nice!

my friend shoots a D60,10D,my 1D, another friends 1Ds .. on his 600f4

D60 has tracking problems on moving birds at times, 1D rocks, 10D is a close second.......

image quality on the d60 will be more than enough for you!! i have 11x14's from his files..... and he made a few 16x20's that were amazing.

btw..... while i own nikon gear still(f100...) , canon is a clear winner to me
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

One thing no one has brought up here is the excellent background - maybe it's a little light, but compositionally I think it looks great. The background is out of focus, not too much so that you don't know what it is, but enough that it doesn't compete with the subject. Good job, great little camera. I used mine yesterday...

Thread Information