ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    learning member

ups came today:D !

like chrstmass in April!
    50mm 1.8, extension tube set, 2x converter and body.iso 1600.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:42 AM.

Re: ups came today:D !

Sorry...im not sure what that really is

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

What kind of camera?
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I believe he is referring to a lens (50 mm, f 1.8), probably a macro lens because that looks like a flower!

Nice shot.

Not a macro lens, he has an extension tube on it, to increase it's ability to get closer to the subject.

I think the person was saying they didn't know what the photo is, seems to be the inside and side of a flower to me. Not a very good example, but hey, might be the first try with this.

ISO 1600 why that much, try something more towards 200 and see the difference.

learning member

Its a small flower on a weed in my lawn.
    I should be spraying these, not photographing them.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    What kind of camera?
    Alex,
    Its a d 70.
    Mark.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    I believe he is referring to a lens (50 mm, f 1.8), probably a macro lens because that looks like a flower!

Nice shot.
    Jared,
    Its a "normal" lens, $90. I wuold have liked to have the 60mm micro 2.8 lens, but that costs $270 more!
    Ilike it too, thanks,
    Mark.

learning member

C'mon Peter its not all that bad is it? It was 1 hour between opening the box and posting the pic.
    iso 1600 because the first lens i tried out w/ex tubes & converter was 80-400mm @ 400mm, shooting leaves and flowers on trees, and it was windy. none of these came out good
    This one, I picked the flower and and focoused by moving the subject back and forth. Distance between subject & lens, 2.5-3 inches. the background color is my hand & fingers.
    Mark.

Mark,

Just giving some feedback, but seeing it was within the 1 hour of opening the box, can't really think it would be better without more practice.

Now that is close. But it does sort of show, why people buy macro lenses for this doesn't it.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Mark,

Just giving some feedback, but seeing it was within the 1 hour of opening the box, can't really think it would be better without more practice.

Now that is close. But it does sort of show, why people buy macro lenses for this doesn't it.
    Peter,
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Other than the blade of grass, the spots(dust, mostly), And I wish that the center part of the flower were sharper, I'm very happy with this photo.
    Why do you say that it shows why people buy macro lenses for this?
    What do you think is wrong? How do you think it could be improved?
    How would it be improved using a macro lense?
    I was thinking of the macro lens because 60mm digital becomes 90mm eq 35mm film, good for portraits, + some close up work without tubes or converters
    Just curious,
    Mark.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Mark... you really need a tripod and F16+ to get good results with tubes on this image . Your SS will be low and the tripod will take time to get setup in position though.

And I would suggest putting the tube BETWEEN the TC and lens(as I do believe that gives you the closest focus with that setup), though the TC itself will degrade your image as will the VERY shallow DOF the tube will create(not too much room for error)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    Jared,
    Its a "normal" lens, $90. I wuold have liked to have the 60mm micro 2.8 lens, but that costs $270 more!
    Ilike it too, thanks,
    Mark.
    Ah I gotcha. Those macro lenses are pricy eh? I've been looking around and there not a cheap penny!

Exactly as Paul said.

To me the image isn't at all sharp, doesn't show what you are taking and has such a shallow depth of field it just doesn't make the grade for me. 1600 has lots of grain, trying a lower iso will help with that and as Paul said, using a tripod is a must for macro photography, slightest bump and your gone so to speak, might also need to look at mirro lockup setting on the camera as well.

But as I said, straight out of the box and within the hour not bad for a first of a few attempts I am sure. Take on board what Paul said, maybe try without the TC. The other thing to think about for macro photography are bellows as well.

Yes Macro Lenses are expensive but that is why they are, all the bells and whistles built into them.

learning member

Peter,
    First of all, how do I turn off the damn quotes, I don't see any buttons? I know ive seen somthing before to turn them off or on. I have been backspacing them out since then.

The reason that I posted the pic was to show off my new toys, being the lens and the tubes, I have had the TC for a while now, but I like to use it for macro work because when all three tubes, 12mm, 20mm, 36mm, are used together they yeild approx 1.5x mag with a 50mm lens. Put the TC behind all that, mounted to the body, viola 3x mag!
    I wanted to post a photo before I went to work, so I had to work fast. The first lense that I used was 80-400 tokina, which focuses to 8ft min on its own. I took 6 pics w/ this and changed to 50mm lens, and took 6 more.
    This was the best from the bunch. In fact I like it tonight more than I did last night! I dont think its all that great, but it demonstrates the some of qualities that I like nicely.
    Jared,
    An extension tube set is a cheap way to go for macro, they work with most any lens.
    Mark

I select Quick Reply to reply to posts in threads, I have asked that they be reordered to be Quick Reply then Reply to this Post and Report this post, basically reversing the order they are showing at present.

learning member

That works, and when theres a photo involed, I can still look at it.
    Just wonderingif something has changed, like right now I can check a box to quote message in reply. maybe its always been like this.
    Mark.

It has always been like this since the new forums started.

Talking Re: ups came today:D !

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    like chrstmass in April!
    50mm 1.8, extension tube set, 2x converter and body.iso 1600.
    Congratulations on your new gear!

It's always great to get more photography gear!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

learning member

Thanks Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Mark,

Thank you again, Peter, for you're feedback! I have just recieved a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro! (Near macro actually, focouses to 1:2 mag)
    Please look at the photo in critique forum, and critique! Its still soft and I havent used a tripod, but I like the soft look.
    The extra working distance is a big plus.
    Mark.

Thread Information