ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Newbie

Hi there...my name is Emily and I didn't know where to post an introduction, but I look forward to checking out this site. I've been looking for a photography forum, and so far I really like the looks of this one.

Re: Newbie

Hi Emily Welcome to Photography Review!
    I hope you will enjoy the site and post often. There are lots of members with a wealth of information combined. We look forward to seeing your photos and will be happy to answer any questions.

I am going to move you over to Viewfinder, our "livingroom."
    Lara

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Hi Emily!

Welcome to the boards, can't wait to see your work!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Hi Emily - welcome to Photography Review!

Liz

Welcome to PR Emily!

Thanks for introducing yourself. It's a great website - the best as far as I'm concerned.

What kind of photography do you do? And the equipment?

I have a Rebel XT - went digital some time over a year ago. At that time I recycled my lenses, which I'm still doing.

When I first came to PR about 5 years ago, I knew nothing about photography and was looking to get a P&S. When people here saw my interest in photography, they encouraged me to get an SLR so I did. And I've learned just about everything I know about photography right here.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your interest - and maybe seeing some of your work. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by julsoph
    Hi there...my name is Emily and I didn't know where to post an introduction, but I look forward to checking out this site. I've been looking for a photography forum, and so far I really like the looks of this one.

Well, thank you for the welcome! My favorite subjects right now are my girls, a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and then all things nature. I started out with birds and right now I'm enjoying the challenges of bugs...heh.
    I really don't have much in the way of equipment. I have a Kodak dx7590 that I've had since Christmas, and I love it. I'll upgrade eventually, but for now I'm still learning a lot about light and composition, and I'm happy with it for the moment.
    Is there a q&a thread somewhere that will tell me how to post pictures? And where should I post them? I definitely am not opposed to critique, in fact I welcome it.

Also, thank you for moving this!

Photo John (aka Fearless Leader) has this thread on how to do it. It's under Site Feedback. I usually re-size my images so that the longer side is 600 pixels - it's big enough to see but not too big for people with dialup (remember the bigger the file, the longer the download!).

If you're looking for a real critique, you should post in the Critique Forum, but feel free to post here in Viewfinder too. VF is really just for sharing so you probably won't receive much feedback on shots here. Or if you have a technical problem with a shot and need help, that's what the Help Forum is for.

On equipment, I think you're taking the right approach. The best camera stuff won't help you if you don't know about light and composition. I've got a lot of "stuff" but lately I find myself shooting more with my compact digital. It's really all about the shot IMO, not how you got it. Enjoy!

Thanks so much!

Thread Information