Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

just another newbie

Now I know that you probably get this a lot, but I spent a quite a bit of time researching your forums and still needed a little bit of advice. I am a college student and am taking a photography class next semester and am required to purchase a camera for it. The only details they gave on what type of camera we need is that it must be "A fully adjustable 35mm camera." Wow, what detail.

Anyway, as far as my experience goes, there's not much. I took one photography class in high school and really enjoyed it. I am a medical student, so I don't have ten bizillion hours to shoot photos, but I definitely would love to make it a hobby.

I'm looking for a camera that would be a good beginner camera for someone that isn't going to necessarily use it everyday, but will still be a camera that I can keep for years to come. Obviously, with me being a college student, price is a huge factor as well. I don't even know if it's possible, but I would like to spend no more than $300 for the complete setup. If this is out of the question, no problem, I can spend more, but that's a ballpark.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give.

Re: just another newbie

Buy used.
    Older cameras were built in the time of vulcanite and metal.
    Bang it? no problem!
    Although you may need a CLA with some really old cameras...then that wouldnt be worth it since CLAs are really expensive.

Good luck with that

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
    Now I know that you probably get this a lot, but I spent a quite a bit of time researching your forums and still needed a little bit of advice. I am a college student and am taking a photography class next semester and am required to purchase a camera for it. The only details they gave on what type of camera we need is that it must be "A fully adjustable 35mm camera." Wow, what detail.

Anyway, as far as my experience goes, there's not much. I took one photography class in high school and really enjoyed it. I am a medical student, so I don't have ten bizillion hours to shoot photos, but I definitely would love to make it a hobby.

I'm looking for a camera that would be a good beginner camera for someone that isn't going to necessarily use it everyday, but will still be a camera that I can keep for years to come. Obviously, with me being a college student, price is a huge factor as well. I don't even know if it's possible, but I would like to spend no more than $300 for the complete setup. If this is out of the question, no problem, I can spend more, but that's a ballpark.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give.
    FULLY ADJUSTABLE.... Well you can get ANY SLR , as manual and auto focus camera will all let you go full manual!

My suggestion is a CANON REBEL kit(and maybe a 50f1.8) or a NIKON N75

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

OR

Last edited by paulnj; 11-26-2004 at 02:31 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Fully adjustable just means that you can do everything manually too; focus, shutter speed and aperture. Some of the older mechanical cameras are great buys, but be sure everything works right. A "CLA" (clean, lube, adjust) will probably cost over $100 for a camera and lens, and you can probably find something that doesn't need it.

A few to look at would be the Pentax K1000, Nikon FM or FE, Canon AE-1, Olympus OM series. Probably others too. One thing to realize is that down the road you'll need to start over with a new camera/lens/flash system if you want a digital or autofocus film body. I wouldn't let that stop me from one of these cameras because you could probably sell it for about what you paid for it anyway.

Thanks a lot for all of the advice, if you have anything else to post, keep it coming. Also, would anybody have any preference over the two cameras that paulnj posted links for? Also, is this camera a good deal, and what does it have/not have that the others do? Is there anything else I would need to purchase (since it's so cheap)?

if you are starting new, you probably dont want a fixed focus lens
    Things are much harder when you are fixed, but you learn a lot more about the limitation and adjust to anticipate what distance you need to be and what pictures you can take

A zoom would be better.

I like the older manual focus cams for the lenses with proper focus and aperture rings. Many do not have a good focus ring or aperture rings (electrically controlled instead)

the FM10 is a manual focus camera.What it lacks mostly is AUTO FOCUS and AUTO film advance.
    (and that lens is somewhat limiting on the wide end)

When your class is over do you want a manual focus camera, or will the ability to auto focus be important?

If I was looking for a camera to use during and after the class, I would want auto focus ability myself.

The major difference between the Nikon N75 and the Canon T2 is the lens mount ;)

Both are highly capable cameras from FULL spectrum systems( they have everything you could ever need as your photography grows)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Alright, thanks. But when you say the difference between the two lies in the lens mount, what is the difference? and do you have a preference? I'm most likely going to order one of those two this week, and as of right now, it'll be the N75 just because of the $30 mail-in rebate, unless anyone would recommend otherwise.

Also, do you know anything about this vendor:

http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/10...m=invnew:k0043

because I think that's any even cheaper deal than the B&H.

Quote Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
    when you say the difference between the two lies in the lens mount, what is the difference?
    I think Paul is basically saying that either of the two would be a good choice. If you go with Canon, then you go with their system; or Nikon with theirs. IOW, you can't use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies, etc. I think they're both good and if you want an auto focus camera to build a system on I'd go with either.

CORRECT you are!

I own BOTH systems(nikon film, canon digital) and find them both to be GREAT!

You can't go wrong with either camera or the system they represent.

AND, canoga is a very reputable place
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Just for the sake of knowing your options (and it's on sale $40 cheaper, without having to wait on rebates), check this out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=260110&is=USA

Minolta's Maxxum 5, with the 28-80 zoom. $199.95

Why dont people consider buying used these days?
    Dont know bout you guys, but I like the feel of a heavy metal camera compared to plastic. Plus worn out paint on plastic looks nasty compared to worn out paint on metal or metal on metal. Wear out your metal camera and later on when you look back, it will be sort of a diary of your photo life.

BTW, I got an FM10 myself...or maybe I should say USED TO because I cant find it ever since we moved to our new place. That was my beloved high school camera.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    Why dont people consider buying used these days?
    Dont know bout you guys, but I like the feel of a heavy metal camera compared to plastic. Plus worn out paint on plastic looks nasty compared to worn out paint on metal or metal on metal. Wear out your metal camera and later on when you look back, it will be sort of a diary of your photo life.

BTW, I got an FM10 myself...or maybe I should say USED TO because I cant find it ever since we moved to our new place. That was my beloved high school camera.
    IMHO...

The problem with used is that many of the lens mounts are not compatible. Pentax, and to a more limited extent, Nikon, have done a good job with that. Others are cold-turkey changes. Not many are willing to invest in a system that is dead.

Some people like the feel of heavy metal but others prefer the lighter and stronger materials being used today. As people age, heft is not an advantage!

Cost is also an issue. Today, you can get a full-featured modern film camera for peanuts. This allows the investment in lenses to be preserved.

Just some thoughts.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I wouldnt mind newer cameras only if they maintained the split prism...
    auto focus has made split prisms a thing of the past
    I prefer the split for manual focus, expecially in dim light.

Also, many lenses have lost a good focus ring due to auto focus.
    I have seen lenses with a small flimsy plastic thing as a focus ring. A complete joke.
    To me, the joy of SLR (and rangefinders) is the manual operation. Producing good images are even more rewarding. I did it all....myself!

Ranter and raver.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    A few to look at would be the Pentax K1000, Nikon FM or FE, Canon AE-1, Olympus OM series. Probably others too. One thing to realize is that down the road you'll need to start over with a new camera/lens/flash system if you want a digital or autofocus film body. I wouldn't let that stop me from one of these cameras because you could probably sell it for about what you paid for it anyway.
    I really hate to beat the Pentax horse to death, but I'd like to say that I use all of my Pentax lenses on all of my Pentax cameras, even a pre-1974 screw mount (M42) that I bought for my Honeywell with an adaptor. I have a K1000 that still gets heavy use, a ZX-10 that saw good use until it was dropped for bazillionth time and I realized it wasn't the tank my K1000 was, and the new *istDS digital SLR. In fact, the 50/2 that came standard on K1000 has been getting more use on the *istDS than any of my newer auto focus lenses because of the quality. I never started over, though I have always kept my mind open to it and gave the Canon and Nikon DSLRs fair consideration before purchasing the *istDS.

I have had my K1000 for 8 years and my only complaint is that, since I really love night photography, it's a pain to have a camera that does not meter past a second long exposure. That's not a problem for most people.

I had the K1000 with me on a hike two weekends ago and, once you get the feel of it, can take photos just as fast as you could with any low end auto focus system (I'm not about to claim that it's as good as a $3000 pro film system). The only complaint I have with the photos from that weekend? It was too overcast. An added advantage is that you can leave it in your car or whereever, so the camera is there when photos happen, instead of having to take out a big, padded bag to protect everything.

K1000's run about $200 on keh.com, you can get a good outfit for $120 on eBay. I would buy one off eBay before I'd buy a newer one, because there's nothing sutle that can go wrong with them. Either they are working or they are broken, so any seller with a good rating will give you a good camera.

Other older Pentaxes with good reputations are: KX, ME Super, and MX.

As for auto focus: ZX and MZ are the same thing (ZX is US, MZ European). Go fo a ZX-x and not ZX-xx (x's stand for numbers) Basically, the ones with one number after them are the nicer line, two numbers, the cheaper, more plasticky one. Examples: MZ-5, MZ-6, MZ-10, MZ-60.

So either your head is spinning or your eyes have glazed over so I'll spell it out simply: K-1000 or KX if you don't mind manual focus, PZ- 1P (if you can find one cheap enough) or MZ-5 if you'd like auto focus.

I would give equal time to Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Rodak Retina Reflexes, whatever, but I know very little about their older stuff and the rest of the forum seems to have them covered, so I'll go with what has served me incredibly well.

I will simplify it even more

A good camera is the one that feels right to you and helps you produce a pleasing image.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tijean
    Other older Pentaxes with good reputations are: KX, ME Super, and MX.
    Don't foget the best of the bunch, the Pentax LX. Expensive but a jewel.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Ranter and raver.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Don't foget the best of the bunch, the Pentax LX. Expensive but a jewel.
    I originally included the LX, but deleted it because it would blow the budget. When I have more money than I know what to do with (after the current production FA 24/2… and the *istDS's $200 flash… and, I don't know, a 31mm limited maybe ) I plan to pick one up for the studio and night time film stuff.

Also, a good one I forgot to mention that can be had very cheaply is the P30t, but it seems I am as much a camera collector as photographer and this young man did not ask for a history lesson, so I should stop.

Thread Information