ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Re: I made it the Big 1,000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I wanted something special for the 1000th post since we started the new forum format. I can't think of anything more fitting than to pay tribute to one of my children. Most of you have seen pictures of all the kids at one point or other over the last few years, but Sam is the latest to recieve honors. Sam is my second child and first son he's 28 and lives in Midland TX where he is a farrier and tool maker. He was resently selected to represent the USA along with four others on the US Farriers Team. They competed as a team and indvidually at the World Championship Blacksmithing Competition in Calgary, Canada. I had the pleasure of going to watch him compete against 80 of the best blacksmiths and farriers in the world. There were competitors from 15 countries. From this group Sam placed in the top 10! I was very proud to say the least. Here are a few images from my trip to Calgary. These are not presented as great photographs, just a father being proud of the accomplishments of a son.

1. Sam awaits the results of a round of competion. (The hammer on his shoulder is one of his own design and hand made my him.)
    2. Sam nails on a shoe.
    3. Sam shaping a hot shoe on the anvil.
    4. Sam and the USA team before the competition began.
    Congratulations on reaching 1000 Old Timer!

And congratulations on your son's excellent showing. I know you were proud of him.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I made it the Big 1,000!!!!

I wanted something special for the 1000th post since we started the new forum format. I can't think of anything more fitting than to pay tribute to one of my children. Most of you have seen pictures of all the kids at one point or other over the last few years, but Sam is the latest to recieve honors. Sam is my second child and first son he's 28 and lives in Midland TX where he is a farrier and tool maker. He was resently selected to represent the USA along with four others on the US Farriers Team. They competed as a team and indvidually at the World Championship Blacksmithing Competition in Calgary, Canada. I had the pleasure of going to watch him compete against 80 of the best blacksmiths and farriers in the world. There were competitors from 15 countries. From this group Sam placed in the top 10! I was very proud to say the least. Here are a few images from my trip to Calgary. These are not presented as great photographs, just a father being proud of the accomplishments of a son.

1. Sam awaits the results of a round of competion. (The hammer on his shoulder is one of his own design and hand made my him.)
    2. Sam nails on a shoe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I made it the Big 1,000!!!!-dsc_9580-2.jpg   I made it the Big 1,000!!!!-dsc_9072.jpg   I made it the Big 1,000!!!!-dsc_9293-640.jpg   I made it the Big 1,000!!!!-dsc_9160.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: I made it the Big 1,000!!!!

To my favorite "ole blue eyes" .....ole, not old!!
    It looks that Sam has those great eyes as well.

Congratulations on hitting the 1000 mark Larry!! The photos are super.
    Lara

2. Sam nails on a shoe.
    Well it's about dang time dude! Now it's time to get busy on the next 1000...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

OT, Great shots, congrats on your accomplishments as father and photographer, and on your son's accomplishments as well.

Way to go Ole Blue

Rebekah
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks for all those posts, Larry. So many of them were memorable photos (the feet, the strawberries, the apples, the sunflower, the beautiful wife, the daughter-in-law handling that big hammer, and many more) and posts that helped the rest of us some way or another.

Send along my congrats to your son on his accomplishment in the international competition. I see he's inherited your smile as well as your blue eyes.
    ----------------------------

Many thanks to my friends here at PR for their well wishes and grads on my sons accomplishments. 1000 post doesn't seem like many when you look at the numbers some others have put up here, but I am greatful that some of mine have been worth remembering (Thanks Chunk). Some of those I had nearly forgotten myself. I hope that my next 1000 post will have some comments and images that will be worth remembering and will help someone to improve their skills as a photographer. I truely love photography and strive to become more proficient at the craft and the art everyday.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

How Sweet it is! Congratulations Larry and Son!

Larry,

I had a tear in my eyes reading your post - especially seeing that first picture of your son. All of them are great, but because the first one is significant in a personal way, and the last one is significant in a public way - actually significant for the whole country, it is very touching.

This is an incredible honor for your son and your whole family. The photos are filled with a father's love and rightful pride. God bless you, Larry, along with your wonderful son and the rest of your family.

Thank you for sharing your most heartfelt moments with us.

Liz

PS - lest I forget - Congratulations on your 1000th Post!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: How Sweet it is! Congratulations Larry and Son!

Congratulations Larry! I just joind the 1000 post club yesterday! A big congratulations to your son for his great accomplishments also! Here's to 1000 more posts!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz your thoughtfulness and kindness are one of the main reason that I and many others keep coming back to PR post after post after post. Thank you for your very warm comments.

Nikon Samurai #13

Liz

You just made my day! Thanks for your kind words.

Liz

Liz your thoughtfulness and kindness are one of the main reason that I and many others keep coming back to PR post after post after post. Thank you for your very warm comments.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Congratulations Larry! I just joind the 1000 post club yesterday! A big congratulations to your son for his great accomplishments also! Here's to 1000 more posts!
    When you start this journey it seem to be so far, but when you are enjoying yourself and getting such a kick out of all the photo and comments it just doesn't take long at all.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information