I spent last week in Montreal, Quebec and had a blast, it is a city that is meant for photographers, especially the churches. This was the first of the grand churches that I visited while in the city.

Mary Queen of the World and St. James the Greater Cathedral-Basilica.

Construction began on the church with the corner stone being laid on Aug 28th 1870. It began it's liturgical life in 1894, attaining parish status in 1904 and in 1919 was designated as a Cathedral-Basilica. It is pretty much a scaled down version of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. Originally known only as St. James the Greater, the Mary Queen of the World was added on in 1955. A majority of the text inside the cathedral describes St. James as a result.

Unlike the Basilica in Rome, these 13 figures (Carved between 1892 and 1898 by Olindo Gratton) represent 13 saints rather than Christ and the 12 disciples.

The Latin text inside the cupola reads (translated): You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Built by Casavant Freres was inaugurated on Sept. 22nd, 1893. Originally it has 56 stops, but upgrades in 1951 increased that to 76. Further work between 1995-1996 increased that to 93, there are 4 manuals (keyboards) and pedal. Restoration was done by Guilbault-Therien of Saint Hyacinthe.

This is the reproduction of Gian Lorenzo Bernini's Baldacchino in St. Peter's in Rome. Made by Victor Vincent in 1900 in Rome of Red Copper. Made completely by hand, and donated by the Sulpicians. The Angels, Garlands, and Papal insignia were done by Olindo Gratton around the early 1910's.

Completed in 1933 it is the final resting place for Bishops and Archbishops of Montreal