Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Grace Cathedral

Just Lurking

Grace Cathedral

Here's one from inside Grace Cathedral in downtown San Francisco. The lighting was pretty tricky with the bright light from the windows and the dark interior so this is a composite of two different exposures. Does it work? Too obvious?

Thoughts?

PC

Re: Grace Cathedral

I have to throw in my usual caveat that the color on my laptop stinks, but otherwise I don't think this composite is too much at all. Some of the best composites and HDRs I've seen recently have been the inside of old churches and buildings, and like those this one seems to work. I like the shot but wouldn't have minded seeing more of the alter area below the windows, but nice grab on the ceiling. Could you have still grabbed the ceiling from a lower to the ground shot or was it too large in there to get it all in one shot? Like you, I would have wanted to grab that great ceiling so probably would have done the same thing if I couldn't get the alter in the shot also.

I think the exposure is great. I wish you had a little more at the bottom though. It looks as though something is missing.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm with Greg on this.
    Exposure is nice.....needs more at bottom. Maybe you were at your lenses limit from where you could shoot.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

This is no doubt a beautiful and elegant image. The exposure is right on with your mix, but I really prefer to have more darness inside to contrast with the lighting from the windows. I think the "being inside" mood is gone, but no doubt there was gains in other areas such as the wonderful detail and delightful tones and color throughout.
    I agree about wanting more bottom, but then again it does not hurt as it is.
    Just a nitpik. . .curious to see this with a bit more warmth and less pink/magenta throughout.
    Excellent work here, PC
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Just Lurking

Gary, Frog, Greg, & Ridgetop,

Thanks for commenting. I see what you're saying about having a little more at the bottom. I'm guessing that having just the tops of the organ pipes leads one to wonder what's below. The alter isn't directly below this area, it's actually separated a bit. At the same time, keeping the same relative framing would mean less of the ceiling, and I really liked that part. This was taken from the back of the chapel with a longer lens and I could have gone wider, but it would also have included more on the sides.

Gary, I also see what you're saying about the coloring, but the pink/magenta is really from the stained glass windows. I can try adjusting the white balance to see what I can come up with, but I think it's fairly close as-is.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.

PC

PS - Here's one more from this same building.

Both of these are phenomenal. If it were me, I think I'd try to get the white balance on the first closer to that of the second, but the HDR works perfectly. On the second shot I believe I'd crop the bottom up to the point where the basket on the foreground table is removed. This would leave the shot finishing with a sliver of floor below the alter, the very tops of the pews, and the plinths (bases) of the forward most columns resting intact on the very bottom of the print.

VERY impressive work though :thumbsup:

I like them both.
    Great detail throughout.
    I can see how tweaking WB would be a problem.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Just Lurking

Thanks jetrim & snoid. I appreciate the feedback. I have printed both of these and I really like how they turned out.

PC

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I actually like the second better.
    If you're up to a bit of work then you could try stitching a pano togheter to get the top and bottom together.
    What is the black on top and bottom of second shot from?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I had the same thoughts about the first one, mainly that it felt a bit cut off from the bottom. The 2nd one u posted is a lot more appealing to me. It has all the great detail and lighting and has a really nice foreground to it as well. nicely done!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information