Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

What lighting for new studio?

I'm going to be starting a side business soon and a building a studio in my home. However I have no idea what lighting I should get. I have experience using the softboxes at my local camera club but I don't know if I should go with umbrellas over softboxes or what brands of strobes to get. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: What lighting for new studio?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    I'm going to be starting a side business soon and a building a studio in my home. However I have no idea what lighting I should get. I have experience using the softboxes at my local camera club but I don't know if I should go with umbrellas over softboxes or what brands of strobes to get. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi. There is an alternative to strobes, I have found that continuous lighting is a quite viable solution, especially in product photography. I don't mean hot lights necessarily, but daylight compact flourescent, or metal hylide lighting equipment. An interesting wesite to visit is www.sell-it-on-the-net.com. It has a lot of information on continuous lighting. Continuous lighing is a lot easier to control, because what you see is what you get. There is less guess work, and less surprises. I am quite happy with my results, and I'm working a lot faster.

Re: What lighting for new studio?

I actually do have some hot lights at home already that where given to me. I'll check out your link though. I'm also looking for background material as well which I should have mentioned in my original post.

Thread Information