Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Advice on location shoot

I have a wedding coming up in April, and met with the couple today. The reception is at a hotel, and we can do some of the shots in the hotel's restaurant in the afternoon since it will be closed. It's a really great place to shoot but I need advice on how to light it.

This shot (available light) was about 1/30 @ f4, ISO800. The red arrow points at a walkway across the water that's about 3' wide (water is about 8' wide or so) and there's a waterfall about 6' behind the walkway. I'll put the subjects here and use the waterfall as my background. One camera position will be close to here or maybe centered, maybe 30' away from subjects. What I'm thinking about doing is putting a light on the left side maybe 10-15' from subjects. That way the window light will work as a fill.

I want to get something that's battery powered but don't think my Nikon SB28 is powerful enough to do it (with an umbrella?). I'm thinking about something like a Quantum Q4 with Pocket Wizards. I could probably find an outlet here to plug in a regular monolight, but that won't always be the case. I work alone so it has to be simple to use and carry.

Any help appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on location shoot-dscf1644.jpg  

Mamiya Man

Re: Advice on location shoot

something easy that is battery powered. well if you already have a monolight and umbrella the alien bees/white lightning sell the vagabond battery pack ( http://www.lightgearusa.com/vagabond.htm ) it comes with a case, a 12vdc battery and an inverter that takes it from the 12vdc to 115vdc. Other wise the cheaper way of doing it would be to get a deepcycle battery and connect an inverter to it. it would be heavier but the deepcycle battery can take a load for alot longer before draining down all the way. harbor frieght tools has some inverters pretty cheap. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...449&pricetype=

Magoo
    Last edited by magoo; 12-05-2004 at 11:22 AM.

That battery pack is a pretty good idea. After talking with a friend, I don't think a Quantum flash is the best idea for me right now. I can get a more powerful and versatile monolight for less money. Rather than worrying about people tripping on the power cord, I'll just tape it down. I'm thinking about a Calumet Travelite 750 - can't see why it wouldn't work on the battery pack you recommend (for future use) but have to check into it.

Thanks for the reply.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I just purchased a pair of the Alien Bee 1600's with the 48" reversible white/silver umbrellas. According to the white lightning folks, you would get about 200 flashes off of the charged vagabond battery system while running one of them.

Thread Information