Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Second attempt at night MTB photos

I took my old P&S with me on my ride tonight and used it as a remote flash unit. I still have some bugs to work out but I like the first image.

If you're curious the streaks on the mountain are from the longest cable tram in the world on it's way up and down the mountain.

If anyone has more tips on night photography I'd love to hear them.

b
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second attempt at night MTB photos-cn_trams1.jpg  

I'd have to say that this one is pretty sweet. Using your point-and-shoot for an extra flash is an inspired idea. The only problem I have with this is the chopped off rider. Love the balance between the lit foreground and the sky.

Give us the specs now, ok!!!!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

A bugger
    Yeah, the concept is nice. I've been thinking of the same idea basically. I thought of taking night shots with a lets say 10 second exposure at a local 24h event. Thought of counting a certain flash exposure for let's say 5 meters, then set a right aperture and a long shutter speed with the camera on a tripod. Then I thought of acting as a human slave flash and going somewhere in the picture to manually trigger the flash at some rider passing by... Have to try that some time. Or I just gotta get a slave cell or a long sync cable.. Radio slaves or stuff like that would be too expensive for me..

Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'd have to say that this one is pretty sweet. Using your point-and-shoot for an extra flash is an inspired idea. The only problem I have with this is the chopped off rider. Love the balance between the lit foreground and the sky.

Give us the specs now, ok!!!!
    Thanks. I shot another where I cought the rider in a better possition but I blew out the foreground b/c I fired off the "slave" too low to the ground.

To take the picture, I had my S45 on a rock. set at ISO 200, F2.8, 10 second exposure (tested with pre shot). Then I used the flash on a pentax IQZoom 115mm. no control over flash strength. I stood up to elevate the flash and fired away when I though he was where I wanted him to be.

foregound light from a JET Phantom dual beam handlebar mount set to 8 watt (lowest) setting.

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Thanks. I shot another where I cought the rider in a better possition but I blew out the foreground b/c I fired off the "slave" too low to the ground.

To take the picture, I had my S45 on a rock. set at ISO 200, F2.8, 10 second exposure (tested with pre shot). Then I used the flash on a pentax IQZoom 115mm. no control over flash strength. I stood up to elevate the flash and fired away when I though he was where I wanted him to be.

foregound light from a JET Phantom dual beam handlebar mount set to 8 watt (lowest) setting.
    I was trying to do something similar. I wanted a shot much like the one you have here, but I couldn't get the rider to ever appear, just the beam of light from the helmet light. I was using a S40, but I didn't use another camera to flash the rider.

I'm guessing that is why the rider appears in yours, correct? I need to try to secondary camera flash trick to see if it helps me out.

very nice, i saw the others on the MTBR web site, i have a few night ones taken of my brother in town using the on-board flash on my oly 5050, it is an okay flash but like all on-board it lacks the power and range of a seperate flash gun.

if that dont work try herehttp://www.pbase.com/image/24588674

will have to try something similar under darkened trail conditions

Simon K

brianc

Quote Originally Posted by JDub
    I was trying to do something similar. I wanted a shot much like the one you have here, but I couldn't get the rider to ever appear, just the beam of light from the helmet light. I was using a S40, but I didn't use another camera to flash the rider.

I'm guessing that is why the rider appears in yours, correct? I need to try to secondary camera flash trick to see if it helps me out.

you could try to use the rear curtin sync, but my guess would be that the flash will wash out the foreground. Raising the second camera up high helped get the flash on the rider and not as much on the ground.

b

Thread Information