ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Shiprwrecked on a Starry Night

Hello All,

I've been in and out lately, but not posting much. Life's been busy.... It's great to see the new site and everyone made it over!

I recently got around to scanning this image from a recent trip to CA. Having a film camera, and a bottle of wine can be much fun!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiprwrecked on a Starry Night-startrail_boat_600.jpg  

Details... This was taken with velvia 100f and a 24-70 L lens. The exposure was about 1/2 hour, don't remember exactly but that's about how long the trails look.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman
    Hello All,

I've been in and out lately, but not posting much. Life's been busy.... It's great to see the new site and everyone made it over!

I recently got around to scanning this image from a recent trip to CA. Having a film camera, and a bottle of wine can be much fun!

Mike
    First of all, awesome shot Mike!!

Second, whay didn't you tell us you were coming to CA to play? What part of the state were you in?

Finally, back to the photo.. I love playing around with night photography and this is something similar to something I've been meaning to try for quite some time. The Feb 2004 issue of Outdoor Photographer had a good article on techniques used to capture images in moonlight. I must tell you that your photo is as good as any found within the article.

Thanks for sharing this one with us!
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Re: Velvia 100

Details... This was taken with velvia 100f and a 24-70 L lens. The exposure was about 1/2 hour, don't remember exactly but that's about how long the trails look.
    I've shot long exposures with Velvia 50 before and experienced some color shift. Specifically, a green hue (I'll post an example when I get home tonight). Have you noticed anything like that from the new 100? I can't see any in your image, but you may have color corrected it before posting...
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Great shot, Mike. Did you "paint with light" or anything on the ship? And a bottle of wine in 1/2 hour is impressive (maybe not the right word...)! Haha...

I've used Provia 400F for long exposures like this but never tried either of the Velvia's. Curious to hear if the sky turned green like I've heard happens with Velvia 50.

ref. Shipwrecked,

Hello All,

Mike
    Awesome picture Mike. I like this a lot. Thanks for sharing.

jeff

Nice one...

I love how you maintained those deep colors in your long exposure. Composed a bit too tight on the left, but otherwise a super shot!

Ghost
    Beautiful shot Mike, and an original one too. I know *exactly* where you took this from. Your originality is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    I've shot long exposures with Velvia 50 before and experienced some color shift. Specifically, a green hue (I'll post an example when I get home tonight). Have you noticed anything like that from the new 100? I can't see any in your image, but you may have color corrected it before posting...
    Hi Kokopeli,

There is no exposure shft like with Velvia 50 (greeen). It may have shifted a little towards the blue. My scanner is IT8 calibrated and I just did very slight levels adjustments to try and bring back the pop the slide has.

Here is a moon shot taken the next evening. The wind was howling (like it always is there) and you can see the trees shaking some. I was up around the bay area and even had dinner with PJ.

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiprwrecked on a Starry Night-moon_over_cyprus.jpg  

[QUOTE=another view]Great shot, Mike. Did you "paint with light" or anything on the ship? And a bottle of wine in 1/2 hour is impressive (maybe not the right word...)! Haha...

No "painting," there was a full moon out illuminating it.

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Beautiful shot Mike, and an original one too. I know *exactly* where you took this from. Your originality is great!

Thanks Trevor, I was staying at the Dancing Coyote, this was right out the back door of my cottage.

I appreciate the comments,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    I love how you maintained those deep colors in your long exposure. Composed a bit too tight on the left, but otherwise a super shot!

Thanks Charles! There's a reason for everything...Any further to the left and you'd see my cottage and several others. I thought they would detract from the image.

In the printed versions, this image looks much better enlarged (the site wouldn't let me cheat and post an 800), I edited out the bright lights across the bay in the center of the image.

Thanks again, Mike

Mike it is great to see another of your quality post. I always look forward to your contributions. This is an exceptional example of your work. Thanks for posting.

Larry

very nice Mike!

It's great to here from you. Absolutly love the picture! What is your secret for framing it so well? I know you didn't crop it. (unless the wine kicked in a little too fast)

b

Hello All,

Mike

WOW! What a great shot.
    It's the high quality of photos like this and the comments from this great photo community that make me glad I found this site and forums. I know I'll become a better photographer for it.
    Thanks for posting this one.

Thread Information