Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Anybody here shoot cricket?

I'm seeking advice on cricket pics. I've just started to dabble this season and would appreciate feedback on the my pics below. What other shooting angles could be used, best practice and so on...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody here shoot cricket?-shenfield_walden_1.jpg   Anybody here shoot cricket?-billericay_upminster_1.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by gmen
    I'm seeking advice on cricket pics. I've just started to dabble this season and would appreciate feedback on the my pics below. What other shooting angles could be used, best practice and so on...?

Not a lot of criket in the US am afraid so I can't help, but sure enjoyed you shots. Nice to see something so different on the sports forum. IMHO you did a very nice job capturing the action. Please give us some more examples of your sports photography.

I think I saw these on your sportsshooter gallery.

They are nice shots, but I am a total Cricket newb so I have no idea what does, or does not, make a good Cricket image.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I was shocked to not see insects =(

I've never heard of Cricket.

Maybe it's like shooting baseball?
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Sadly no insects to be seen. I'll try and do better next time! But, yep, very similar to baseball I guess... and plenty of time for some hefty chimping between 'balls' and 'overs'.

Cricket does have the benefit (?) of lasting for around six hours in a day - which is cool if you want to be able to cover 3 or 4 matches!

The rules are somewhat bizarre... but I don't fully understand baseball yet - mainly because there are so few chances of shooting it in England.

I've added another pic as I thought this guy was striking a nice pose with his bat and this shot saw him reach 100 'runs' - the little red ball was long gone though.

Thanks for the interest guys... I'll dig out some rugby next...or maybe I'll get to cover some croquet! That is truly scary...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody here shoot cricket?-billericay_upminster_2.jpg  

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Sean Dempsey]I was shocked to not see insects =(

That's why it's in the sports photography section!

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Nice pictures

I particularly like numbers 1 & 3. In no 3, did the ball go to the leg or offside?

For good cricket pictures, look at

www.patrickeagar.com

or get hold of one the monthly cricket magazines, eg the Wisden Cricketer.

If look around the ground at a Test match, the press photographers will generally be congregated at a position which is fine leg / long off for a right handed batsman, depending on which end the bowler is bowling from

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

The ball in pic 3, I recall, was struck on the off side - it was a cut shot, which went just behind square for four runs.

Thanks for the link... very interesting, plenty of varied shots there - just what I was seeking for inspiration.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'd say....

I'd say you are covering this seemingly unusual sport VERY WELL!
    All of these images are superb, you seem to know the sport well.
    Kudos to you!
    Thanks for sharing these here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I'd say you are covering this seemingly unusual sport VERY WELL!
    All of these images are superb, you seem to know the sport well.
    Kudos to you!
    Thanks for sharing these here!
    Brian
    Cheers Brian - your kind words are much appreciated. I am still very much on a learning curve as this is my first 'proper' season of shooting the sport in a professional capacity. Every game is opening up new opportunities and I'm trying different angles all the time. It's got me thinking about even bigger glass! Probably end up giving the bank manager a heart attack!

Here's one from last Saturday shot from slightly different position...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody here shoot cricket?-hutton-vs-billericay-1.jpg  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Go Big!

If cricket is anything like baseball, I am sure you'll need some long glass, probably no more than a 300?
    From the sounds of it, you know cricket very well. Which of course will make for great photos!
    Thanks again for sharring your great photos of a seemingly unusal sport, at least to American auduiences.
    I look forward to seeing more. I might suggest you post a few over in the Critique Forum too.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Believe it or not, these shots are all taken with the 300mm f2.8 plus a 2x converter! These cricket boys are seemingly miles away... I'm thinking of taking the plunge for the 400mm f2.8 or maybe the 600mm f4... I'll see what develops!

I might well take you up on your idea of posting some of the pics in the Critique forum. Cheers!

Thread Information