Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Is there a difference between digitalslr & digital Point and shoot???

Hi Folks,
    Hope someone can help me, I am switching to digital and was going to buy the Nikon D-70 when I noticed a new Nikon Coolpix 8700 with 8mg capability and a considerable higher resolution. I am used to an slr body and have many Nikkor lenses, but the resolution is so high on the coolpix 8700 and with a 35-280mm lens attached, I have no idea what is right to buy. Why do Nikon D-2h cost so much if the resolutions are so low?
    Can somebody possibly explain this to me???
    Feeling a little dumb....alex

If you are happy shooting with SLR, buy the DSLR you won't go wrong. Bying the Coolpix 8700 you can't use the lenses you have already and will miss that, I certainly did when I bought a Digital Canon G3, should have waited and got the 10D which I just did this past XMAS.

Why the D-2H cost so much, because it is a much better robust camera than the cheaper versions, better shutter speeds, no lag, higher frame rate, better digital crop, get to use the lenses you own, like comparing a Merc to a VW, totally different cameras.

Seb
    Hello Alejandro,

The issue of megapixels has been addressed quite a couple of time in the past. I wouldn't dare to say that the Nikon 8700 is gimmick as I haven't used the camera myself but there are 8 mega pixels cameras such an infamous Sony (can't remember the specific model but folks will know which model I am reffering at) that are recognized for providing rather poor results.

The thing is that megapixels all alone doesn't mean much. The size of the pixels is much more revealant. Having 8 megapixels on the sensor means that every pixels are smaller and thus, collect less light which generate more noise.

I would strongly suggest that you stick with a DSLR, especially considering that you are used to work with SLR's. The D70 is likely to outperform the 8700 in most area (assuming that you use it with a proper lense).

regards

Seb

I fully agree with Peter and Seb's observations here - and will also say stick (like good super glue) with an SLR. You'll be a lot happier.

And if you're not in too big a hurry on getting one, it may be beneficial to hold off a few weeks until after the Photokina show at the end of the month. That's where the maunfacturers introduce their new models, which are generally in the stores a few weeks later. With the DSLR market as competitive as it already is, and Minolta jumping into the fray as well (7D to be introduced at Photokina), you can expect that Nikon will likely respond with a better priced model, or new lower prices on existing models. This is where the "October Rebates", that the industry is famous for, originate.

Thread Information