Photography As Art Forum

This forum is for artists who use a camera to express themselves. If your primary concern is meaning and symbolism in photography, then you've come to the right place. Please respect other community members and their opinions when discussing the meaning of "art" or meaning in images. If you'd like to discuss one of your photos, please upload it to the photo gallery, and include a link to that gallery page in your post. Moderators: Irakly Shanidze, Megan, Asylum Steve

Antwerpen Station

I hope this is a kind of art;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Antwerpen Station

three more minutes, and it would be actually, i can see where you were getting with it, but the moment capturet is not dynamic inough to create a gasp-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotowillem
    I hope this is a kind of art;-)
    Willem, I think you are one of the better photgraphers to post on our board, and I think you are an "artist." That's why you rarely get much in the way of critiques, other than: "good shot."

This particular photo doesn't have the same humanity I've seen in your best work, while it does have the same craftsmanship. It doesn't seem as easy for me to realte to as some of those living room shots I remember -- its' more of just a guy sitting there being photographed by a skilled photographer. I don't wonder who he is. On the other hand, you have something going with the emptiness and positioning of the people, I think.
    Last edited by Lava Lamp; 10-03-2004 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Willem, I think you are one of the better photgraphers to post on our board, and I think you are an "artist." That's why you rarely get much in the way of critiques, other than: "good shot."

This particular photo doesn't have the same humanity I've seen in your best work, while it does have the same craftsmanship. It doesn't seem as easy for me to realte to as some of those living room shots I remember -- its' more of just a guy sitting there being photographed by a skilled photographer. I don't wonder who he is. Ont he other hang, you have something goinfg with the emptiness and positioning of the people, I think.
    By the way, is that you in the photo?

All I know is that this is an excellent photo. It's a piece of life. Interesting character..you? Nice Work,
    Kit

I really like this. I've been through Antwerpen station on the train...next time I'll be sure to get off and check this place out!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Smile Re: Antwerpen Station

I really like this picture! That is the is what I would call art.This is the work I want to pursue. You did a great job!The way my eyes first look at the man at the table then wander threw the pic to the right at the man at the counter.Great pic!

Thats weird...tooo weird! I was there in 1972.....don't think it's changed since....just the faces are different....

JS

Well, I can say it has changed alot!

But that be mostly the train-infrastructure because the station is now getting upgraded for high-speed trains, in connection with the Netherlands (although they are not working hard enough to get the track ready on their territory... our part has just finished).

The whole station did need a major renovation. It has been modernized, but in a way that the original art nouveau construction still remains. The result is very pleasing (although it has not yet been finished). It is one of the most beautiful buildings in Antwerp.

Actually funny: this picture is probably taken in a period when I jumped on the train regularly over there. So there might have been a chance that I must have crossed Willem somewhere over there, perhaps when he just got off his train or when he was walking to the bar, or even on my train since I often took a train coming from Roosendaal, the Netherlands... (most trains coming from the Netherlands pass that station there). Being unaware about perhaps having seen each other, we now meet again, also by accident, on the Internet... What a wonderful thing that is, the net.

Best Wishes!

Eric
    www.instantmyrage.com

www.instantmyrage.com/Portfolio

When we traveled in Europe in 1972 w were there 6 weeks and we picked up the same hitchiker 7 times in 6 different countries! His family helped us after we had a crash in Norway and he visited us here once. My parents still keep in touch with him..talk about strange...see the same person like this.
    My dad even ran into a friend from Michigan in a museum in the Netherlands, hadn't seen each other in 30 years.
    And at Expo 67 in Canada we ran into my uncle......small world!

JS

Thread Information