Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Train Station by Norman Foster II

Hi All,
    Please comment.
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Train Station by Norman Foster II-station002_jpg.jpg  

Better

I think this is a more focused shot (in terms of the composition) than the first version, and that alone makes it a better shot IMO. I would say though, that the parking garage (?) jutting up in the background bugs me. The blue sign is also a little bothersome but nothing you can do about that one.

On the one hand I like how the bending fence frames the bottom of the shot, on the other I can't help but wonder if this building might be best shot a little closer in and looking up at it with a wide angle. I think because of the waves in the roof structure, any possible barrel distortion might not be so bothersome / obvious.

Another thing that I'd do (if security permits it) is maybe take some interesting shots of the actual train platforms if there are any to be had. I know the Shinkansen platforms in Tokyo (for example) are very cool places to photograph because all the bullet trains have different shapes and so on.

Maybe the thing to do here is a series about this station. Otherwise I think what it boils down to is glass walls and a wavy roof, ya know? There's obviously something about this station that captures your eye... you just need to abstract those things a little more and lead us right to them.

Does that make sense? Also: maybe try to shoot this place at sunset when the skies are nicer and there are people rushing in front of you (a big blur of humanity might add a nice touch to this particular composition?).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I think PJ summed it up well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.
    All the best.
    yoyo

Thread Information