Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Road to the sun

misanthrope

Road to the sun

This is probably the last from a recent series of "sun rays in the redwoods." I thought including the road in the scene would give it a little more. Does this work for anyone? Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Re: Road to the sun

From what I recall about the last picture the rays were more central. I like this one a bit more because the rays are off to the side and the road adds a nice element to give the picture more depth.
    I think the road gives the picture a better composition. I like when trails / roads are included in a picture because they make (or can make) great life analogies..."I take the road less traveled" or The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.
    But anyway it really is a great photo and deserves to be on a wall.
    Cheers.

Beautiful shots. Love this ray series you have!

Nice shooting,

Jared

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Beautiful picture! I think the road adds alot to this shot.

Scott

I'm on board with PlantedTao here...

I like this shot a lot. Another thing about the road is that it gives the trees perspective. I forget, are you down around Crescent City? I've been to Jedediah Smith, and the trees are just huge!

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

misanthrope

Re: I'm on board with PlantedTao here...

Thanks for the comments, guys! I do think that the other images have been good, but the road definitely does provide some context and some juxtaposition as well. I wish the colors were better, but it was a hazy, misty day, with the light fading. I'm very glad I was using print film for this... the latitude it afforded me saved this one...
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    I like this shot a lot. Another thing about the road is that it gives the trees perspective. I forget, are you down around Crescent City? I've been to Jedediah Smith, and the trees are just huge!

BR,
    Tim
    Yes, indeed. My family's lived here for 14 years and I never, ever get used to how huge the trees are. IMO there is nothing man-made that will ever come close... and the age of these trees too... they were around before we even knew this continent was here...
    You know, they filmed all the forest scenes from "Return of the Jedi" here. The lady who cuts my hair had dinner and drinks with Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and the guy who played Chewbacca... if you watch that movie again, really look at the forest. It really looks that way! Primeval and wild. It's also very quiet in the redwoods... you can really "zen out" if you want...
    And some forest scenes from one of the "Jurassic Park" movies, as well as a number of documentaries, b-movies, and even a few commericials we shot here. You recall that Cadillac commercial from the Super Bowl? The tunnel the car "shot" out of was right here in our little county... and don't forget we have a preponderance of bigfoot sightings here, too! ;)
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

I've had some really fun bike rides in your woods there... [nm]

I've had some really fun bike rides in your woods there... [nm]
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information