Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

London - The Eye

I'm not sure about these two shots, I took them a couple of weeks ago when I went for a wander specifically looking for things to shoot.

The problem I found with shooting the Eye (the enormous wheel on the banks of the River Thames for those who've not seen it) is that like all tourist attractions you feel as if you are doing something that has been done thousands of times before. In the end the best I could do was come up with a couple of compositions that I felt had a pleasing shape on the page and focussed on the form, but I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't be more imaginative.

Thanks for looking

matt

(I've deliberately posted the second shot as a smaller image so it you don't have to scroll to see the whole thing)

Seb

Re: London - The Eye

Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    I'm not sure about these two shots, I took them a couple of weeks ago when I went for a wander specifically looking for things to shoot.

The problem I found with shooting the Eye (the enormous wheel on the banks of the River Thames for those who've not seen it) is that like all tourist attractions you feel as if you are doing something that has been done thousands of times before. In the end the best I could do was come up with a couple of compositions that I felt had a pleasing shape on the page and focussed on the form, but I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't be more imaginative.

Thanks for looking

matt

(I've deliberately posted the second shot as a smaller image so it you don't have to scroll to see the whole thing)
    Hey Matt,

To tell you the thruth, I really don't care for the second picture. It gives me the annoying feel that I am looking at a tight crop of a simple snapshot.

The first picture really hold my interest though. The composition is neat and the execution seems flawless to me.

Seb

Matt, I would agree with seb here in that the first shot is very nicve. Looks like a design abstract. and b&w works well ith iot. I like the framing and composition. Second shot i don't find interesting or to have any appeal. great job on coming up with a unique view of an old scene.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp

Thanks for looking

matt

I know what you mean about the wheel and the cliched images. Your large image is excellent and works great in Mono.
    I walked London a few weeks back and took the attached photograph. Had the camera almost on its back looking up. Used a long exposure just for the craic.. Not too sure about the result. I like it for its difference, which I know does not necessarily make it good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like the first shot best. I tried to get a shot of the wheel too and here is what I came up with.
    Keep shooting the wheel and post some more for everyone to see!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London - The Eye-uk-2.jpg  

Chris, Overbeyond, those are some great shots, its fascinating to see how different people go about approaching the same subject, thanks for posting

matt

Thread Information