Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

More late fall colors

Dear All,

Here is a shot I took a couple of weeks ago. The day was seriously overcast and slightly threatening (it actually rained later that day).

I passed by this stunted little berry tree on my way to the car. I couldn't help being amazed by its bright red berries. I mean, picture this (no pun intended): it's cold, it's wet, it's dark, and besides the green of the grass there is no other colors... Yet this little leafless tree (a shrub really!) manages to put on such a big show!

Earlier this week, Roger (readingr) posted a similar thread (i.e. red berries). I considered posting this pic there, but I didn’t want to hijack his thread.

Anyway, I am now submitting this pic to your criticism. I kind of lost my objectivity and can’t decide whether this works or not. I mean, do you find the fact that the tree trunk is not straight a major distraction? Would you have liked more DOF? Was my use of the split ND too much? Should I straighten the little path (but then the trees on the left and right sides will not be straight anymore)? Are the colors working for you? And quid of the composition?

Hey, don’t feel like you have to answer all these questions! But I definitely would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Cheers,

Steph.

Velvia 50 (what else?), 24 mm, F11 (or F16 – I can’t remember), 0.6 split ND filter to darken the sky + old faithfull Gitzo + PS magic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More late fall colors-5-screen.jpg  

Re: More late fall colors

Steph,

The angle of the tree, is SO appealing to me, I would choose it being like that, over being straight any day. The path is not something to worry about, it's hard to tell it is not even straight, because its sharp turn it takes catches the eye. The colours a great, the berries appear more orange than red on my computer at least, and I like it. My 2 main concerns are the 2 light trees in the mid-ground on both sides, and the patch of dark at the top right of the picture. I think this shrub would have so much more of an impact if it solely lay infront of those dark pines, without the other trees in between the two. Maybe if you're ever back there again, you could see if there is another angle to shoot at, or maybe bring a saw with you. =)

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto iCANd
    Maybe if you're ever back there again, you could see if there is another angle to shoot at, or maybe bring a saw with you. =)
    Andrew.
    mmmm..... I think I will have a problem with the management about that!

Well, here's my $.02 worth: I do not mind the angle of the tree at all. Nature isn't perfectly straight all of the time. I would prefer the tree in its natural position, in this case, angled. What does bother me is how busy the overall photo appears to be. I would prefer a much more shallow DOF to isolate the tree better. Perhaps a long telephoto to compress the scene. Since you seemed to be attracted by the color more than anything, how about a closeup shot of just a grouping of berries against the dark pines? And for me, the path is distracting. It is a light colored object that practically divides the photo in half. Perhaps if you lowered your angle a bit you can hide the path.

I hope this wasn't overly critical.

Hi Steph,

I know what your trying to do with this photo and I understand the problem you have! (see my poor attempt).

The tree as framed is excellent the only change I would have made is to blur the background as previously commented.

The path is not the issue for me but the clarity of the trees in the background detracts from the tree/shrub which should be the centre piece.

Ifv you get a chance to take the picture again I wouldn't mind seeing the results

All the best
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Steph,

Its a good looking tree, small, colourful and quirky, I can see why it caught your attention. I think the angle works really well for it, it suits the quirkiness. I think the thing I would change, and which other people have echoed, is the depth of field, just to cut down on distractions in the background and really makes those berries leap out!

regards,

matt

I would think that this image is slightly underexposed.
    It's either that or the lack of contrast due to the cloudy day.
    There also seems to be vignetting occuring (EVEN AT f11???)

Actually its interesting you close to use f11 because most lenses usually peak out at f8 or so.

Think the sky was darkened a bit too much

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_B
    Dear All,

Here is a shot I took a couple of weeks ago. The day was seriously overcast and slightly threatening (it actually rained later that day).

I passed by this stunted little berry tree on my way to the car. I couldn't help being amazed by its bright red berries. I mean, picture this (no pun intended): it's cold, it's wet, it's dark, and besides the green of the grass there is no other colors... Yet this little leafless tree (a shrub really!) manages to put on such a big show!

Earlier this week, Roger (readingr) posted a similar thread (i.e. red berries). I considered posting this pic there, but I didn’t want to hijack his thread.

Anyway, I am now submitting this pic to your criticism. I kind of lost my objectivity and can’t decide whether this works or not. I mean, do you find the fact that the tree trunk is not straight a major distraction? Would you have liked more DOF? Was my use of the split ND too much? Should I straighten the little path (but then the trees on the left and right sides will not be straight anymore)? Are the colors working for you? And quid of the composition?

Hey, don’t feel like you have to answer all these questions! But I definitely would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Cheers,

Steph.

Velvia 50 (what else?), 24 mm, F11 (or F16 – I can’t remember), 0.6 split ND filter to darken the sky + old faithfull Gitzo + PS magic
    Bonjour Stéphane,

I think that there is a lot to love about this picture. I wouldn't toutch to your compostion/crop at all. I find your observation about colors to be quite interesting. Strangely, I have noticed how colors would literaly "pop" under overcast sky and humid weather when I was in British-Columbia myself. That being said, I think that the use of the split ND is problematic here. It cuts your picture in two distinctive zones of luminosity. Finally, I would have used a shallower dof as most have already suggested.

regards

Seb

I hear you!

Dear All,

Sorry for my late reply. I was busy packing. Beside my laptop and my beloved Nikon gear, there is nothing left here. I'll sleep on the floor tonight !

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I do agree with you that this pic could use more DOF. I should have try with a lower F number. When shooting this subject, I was mainly concerned getting the whole tree sharp. Because I was using a wide angle at the time, I had to be close by. The first branches were quite close which forced me to use a high F number. I think a longer focal lens from a little bit further away would indeed have been better.

The underexposure is more or less voluntary as I wanted to keep this shadowy feeling.

SEB: I do agree that I went a bit too far with the split ND. I had the choice between a magenta 0.3 ND, and a more neutral 0.6 ND. I went for the more neutral one, even though I knew the result would be 'strong'.... It's a style used my some and abhored by others...

BTW, I am still waiting for these Singh Ray filters. I have been waiting for 1 month and 1 week now, Because I am moving soon to Cleveland, I sent an angry email to the company ('What the .... is taking so long?!' ). The next morning, the owner himself gave me a call, apologizing for the delay. He fedex-ed me (overnight!) a new set of filters directly to my new Cleveland address! The filters are there! Can't wait to put my hand on them! Ain't this custmer support or what?

Cheers,

Steph.

Thread Information