Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First black and white work

Hi these are the first images that I have tried to convert to black and white. I used photoshop and changed the colours using adjustment layers. I would like to know what you guys think of them. Any comment will be much appreciated. thanks. The first image was taken in cape town and the second was taken in my back yard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First black and white work-hpim0393.jpg   First black and white work-hpim0474.jpg   First black and white work-hpim0512.jpg   First black and white work-hpim0515.jpg  

Opinionated Newbie

Re: First black and white work

Good start. I think it needs a bit more contrast though. Try experimenting with the Channel Mixer. Open up the color image, go to Image|Adjustments|Channel Mixer. Check off "monochrome" and start messing with red, green and blue slide bars. If you really want to have fun and go Ansel Adams style, put Red at 140, Green at 160 and Blue at -200. Then play from there

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I really like the church picture in b&w. I do have to second what Todd said. I really think you could get that church to pop out of the picture by messing with the contrast.
    Great start tho.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it is much appreciated. So I took your advice and I played with the contrast a little what do you guys think better. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First black and white work-hpim0393.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by twisztad
    Thanks for all the comments guys, it is much appreciated. So I took your advice and I played with the contrast a little what do you guys think better. Thanks again.
    That looks better to my eye.
    I notice the lens flare in this shot and don't think it's a good feature. I like the dramatic presentation of the church and interesting detail throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    That looks better to my eye.
    I notice the lens flare in this shot and don't think it's a good feature. I like the dramatic presentation of the church and interesting detail throughout.

Yeah I know. I tried my best not to capture the lens flare but the sun was directly above the church, I really did not want to change my angel or placement becuase I really liked this shot. Thanks for your comments.

twisztad

The fix you did is much much better. It shows the details more clearly. I actually like the stark white of the sky too. I thought my eyes were good but I swear, I still can't see the lens flare. Chunk has the ability to notice things that others would not, that makes him a good critique and also good photographer. If he says its there, im sure it is. The architecture is great in this shot but I would like to have seen the whole top of the one tower. Your conversion was very well done, especially in the last one. I do agree that channel mixing is the better way to go when doing it.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by twisztad
    Hi,
    To my eye the photo still needs more contrast, I can't help thinking it looked a little washed out. So here's my attempt at a B&W conversion, again using the channel mixer. I also adjusted the brightness slightly when I'd finished.

Here's my attempt:

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Information