Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Cold Water

Cold Water

Far from perfect, but I don't get to take too many of these kinds of shots...The plants on the left bother me, but I had to make do with burning them in a bit, maybe too much...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water-_dsc23862.jpg  

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Re: Cold Water

I have come back to this 5 times so far - I don't know what is bothering me but it could be the plants on the left. Have you tried croping them out.

I think its because there is not enough colour in them to warrant being there.

However I do like the composition of the photo, except I would like to see a bit more space over the top of the falls. Actually that could be the problem and not the plants on the left.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by DownByFive
    Far from perfect, but I don't get to take too many of these kinds of shots...The plants on the left bother me, but I had to make do with burning them in a bit, maybe too much...
    Hey, I've taken your shot and modified it a bit in Photoshop. I don't find the branches distracting to be honest, but what I did find annoying was an overtly blue colour cast and the lack of sharpness.

I hope you don't mind Other than that I like the composition and the subject.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water-_dsc23862.jpg  
    Currently playing with new S9500

Nice shot, but I was thinking about the color cast too. This warmer version helps.

My question is what was happening with the stream shooting off to the right? The crop is a bit square. Was there anything off to the right worth seeing?

BR,
    Tim

Yes, the warmer tone helps and I also agree with Tim regarding the crop. Was this originally shot vertical? Maybe the inclusion of the water rushing on the right by shooting/cropping horizontal would enhance the view that I think you may be trying to achieve. I like the shutter speed you have used that shows the action of the water (instead of the traditional even slower shutter that fuzzez the water).

Tuna

P.S. - fuzzez???

The warmer version helps alot, and this is not bad but I think maybe zooming out or standing back a bit more to include some more scene would help. I'd like to see the environment theis falls is in. Good shutter speed as Tuna stated, there is no fuzzezness here. Overall, a very nice shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information