ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Getting that long exposure running water... how to?

I want to be able to take pictures of a waterfall or turbulant river at like a 2 or 3 second shutter, so I get that water effect where the water looks like just a big white cottonly spider web thing, with a normal daytime background.

I've tried doing this in daytime, shady overcast, but can't even get close.

I won't bother saying what I did because it was totally wrong, so if someone has any tips of methods for doing this, I'd appreciate it. Is a darkening filter necessary?

On an overcast day it's very doable. Bright sun will prohibit it, but you shouldn't be shooting something like that on a sunny day anyway.

Stop down your aperture as far as you can, and use the lowest ISO possible. On a cloudy day that will get you into the several second range. Sometimes a neutral density filter is a must.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

You should go for overcast days, or like in this shot, I "used" a north face and the late afternoon. Besides it allowing for longer exposures, it avoids hot spots. Learning where to focus is real important too.

This was 6 seconds at f/22 with a polarizer (it is like a two stop nd).

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting that long exposure running water... how to?-waterfall_0742c_8x12.jpg  

yeah that's what I want.

100 ISO.. High fstop (22+), a few seconds, clouds.. okay will try that. I am presuming tripod and remote are essential. I'll try it with a filter too if I can find an affordable one.

Sean, even if you don't get what you want it is always helpfull to those trying to advise you to post an example with the settings you're trying to use and then take it from there. Examples as always a good thing, even if you and others think "Hey that wasn't very good" or "Hell that stinks". Doesn't matter on these forums and you will learn that as you are around more. Certainly your posting count has gone up over the past month, but as I said, including details is important.

I even learnt something today with this posting as well. But then I don't know everything there is, just like most people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I am presuming tripod and remote are essential. I'll try it with a filter too if I can find an affordable one.
    Tripod is a necessity, but there is a way around using a cable release if you don't have one - use the camera's built-in self timer. Set it for two seconds if you can (just so you don't have to wait for 15 seconds every frame). The self timer will work well here, but not on all subjects such as trying to shoot a flower between wind gusts, etc.

Pick up a two-stop neutral density filter, called an ND4X. Should be pretty inexpensive; about the same price as a UV. You can do this and a lot more with a polarizer, but they can be expensive.

If you're shooting film, try Fuji Velvia slide film - rate it at 40 and only try it on an overcast day.

Thread Information