Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally upgrading to digital, could use some advise

Hello everyone
    I'm new to the forum and have been looking around quite a bit. I've gleaned a lot of info and want to thank everyone for their contributions.
    I put together a shopping list and would like it if you could give some advise on what I want to purchase. I don't know a lot about digital so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    What I'm using now:
    Nikon N70
    Quantaray 28-80mm f/3.5 - 5.6
    Quanaray 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6
    I do mostly do nature/wildlife/landscape but would like to slowly get into portrait.

My shopping list:
    Nikon D90
    Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
    Nikon MB-D80 Grip
    an extra Nikon EN-EL3e battery
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight
    2 - SanDisk 4 GB Extreme III 30MB/s

Now, Adorama has a grip that costs a bit less but I don't know if I should "go cheap" on it
    http://www.adorama.com/INKMBD80A.html
    Is the speed light ok or should I spend the extra money and go with the 800, 900, or something totally different?
    I don't know a lot about memory for digital cameras so help there would be great too.
    Should I add a diffuser to the list? If so what type would be good?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    pafindr
    Last edited by pafindr; 03-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Finally upgrading to digital, could use some advise

Welcome to the forums!

Looks like you've covered your bases pretty well in my limited experience.
    Be aware that your quantary lenses will also work on the D90 so whether you want to keep them or not is up to you but you have all their ranges covered with your list and I'm pretty sure the lenses you plan to buy are better than the quantarys.
    I have the sb800 and am happy with it but don't use it enough to justify what I paid for it.
    Many use the sb600 and are very pleased with it.
    I use the Gary Fong diffuser and it works very well but a lot of people just make one out of an old milk jug or something.
    You've got plenty of memory there unless you're shooting constantly for long periods.
    On a 2gig card, I get 165 raw files so you'll be getting over 300 on each of those cards.
    Happy shooting and stick around and show us your stuff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

OK that sounds good. Just a couple of points to add.

You might find you need the flash less that you expect. I have the D300 which has a very similar sensor to the D90 and 3200ISO is quite usable. If you want to use the diffuser thing a lot then remember that one comes with the SB800 which might make you prefer it over the SB600. Stick with a compatible Nikon flash - the Nikon system is really sophisticated and you can't be sure that other manufacturers flashes are really compatible.

For your memory cards - remember we're talking about SDHC here, not Compactflash. I wasn't aware that SDHC class 6 could do 30MB/sec but then I don't use Sandisk
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Personally I would leave off the grip. My D80 goes forever on a single battery and weighs much less than it would with the grip added. I don't find it useful myself but I know others will disagree, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Frog
    Thanks for your input!
    I want to upgrade my lenses because the Quantaray's aren't as good as would like them to be. And it's time to have better lenses
    I feel that the SB-800 would be overkill for me because I do a lot more wildlife and nature than indoor or portraits. I think the SB-600 would be good to start out with and if I find that it doesn't do the job in the future I can upgrade later on to something better.

Franglais
    Thank you for your input too!
    When I was looking at memory I didn't know that I couldn't use Compact Flash and you helped me avoid a big mistake.
    This is what I found for memory http://www.adorama.com/IDSSDX34G.html

Is Sandisk good for photography or would I be better off with something else. I use Sandisk for most of my mini memory needs and I've never had any problems with them.

Grandpaw
    Thanks for the input, I'm going to put some more thought to the grip. I'll need more input too.

Welcome pafindr,
    I agree with frog, try the lenses you have before replacing them. In my wildlife shooting I have found the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR not good enough at 300mm and had to spend another 500bucks on a 300 f4.

What about a nice tripod with pan and tilt head, monopod with ballhead, RF shutter release and a CPL filter.

hth
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Quote Originally Posted by pafindr
    Franglais
    Thank you for your input too!
    When I was looking at memory I didn't know that I couldn't use Compact Flash and you helped me avoid a big mistake.
    This is what I found for memory http://www.adorama.com/IDSSDX34G.html

Is Sandisk good for photography or would I be better off with something else. I use Sandisk for most of my mini memory needs and I've never had any problems with them.
    You can't go wrong with Sandisk. You can certainly find a cheaper manufacturer but SDHC cards are already pretty cheap. The one you indicate is Class 6 which is the fastest. Modern DSLR's have a huge internal buffer to store a burst of shots and it's unlikely that you would ever need the speed of the card - except if you're shooting a long video.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    You can't go wrong with Sandisk. You can certainly find a cheaper manufacturer but SDHC cards are already pretty cheap. The one you indicate is Class 6 which is the fastest. Modern DSLR's have a huge internal buffer to store a burst of shots and it's unlikely that you would ever need the speed of the card - except if you're shooting a long video.
    So would a SDHC like the SanDisk 4GB Ultra II that has a 10 MB/s be just as good as the one with 40 MB/s. I'm not interested taking video so I'm not worried about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    Welcome pafindr,
    I agree with frog, try the lenses you have before replacing them. In my wildlife shooting I have found the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR not good enough at 300mm and had to spend another 500bucks on a 300 f4.

What about a nice tripod with pan and tilt head, monopod with ballhead, RF shutter release and a CPL filter.

hth
    Singletracklovr
    Thanks for your input!
    The reason I'm going with the two lenses is because they are coming in a kit for $1589.95. http://www.adorama.com/INKD90K70.html
    If were to buy the lenses separately it would cost a few hundred more.
    Will I not see much difference in the quality of the pictures with the Nikon lenses?

Singletracklovr
    Thanks for your input!
    The reason I'm going with the two lenses is because they are coming in a kit for $1589.95. http://www.adorama.com/INKD90K70.html
    If were to buy the lenses separately it would cost a few hundred more.
    Will I not see much difference in the quality of the pictures with the Nikon lenses?
    I don't know if the Nikon lenses will be better for you than what you have.
    I will guess they are better than off brands and they have VR which is very nice. How much better will depend on what you shoot.

1589 is not bad for that kit.
    With just a quick google price check I came up with.
    The d90body going for ~899 (B&H) free shipping
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
    the 18-105mm ~299(B&H)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._6G_ED_VR.html
    and the 70-300mm ~500(new at ebay)

disclaimer: I'm no pro, just a guy getting into dslr for wildlife shooting like you.
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 03-04-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

So do you think that I should stick with both Quantaray lenses and spend some money on a 50mm lens to start on portraits?

So do you think that I should stick with both Quantaray lenses and spend some money on a 50mm lens to start on portraits?
    If I were you I would buy the d90 and try your lenses.
    Since there's no developing you will instantly see your results. Post some up here for friendly feedback and check others user galleries to compare your pict quality. You might find the lenses you have are fine. If so you have more budget to expand your lens choices. If your not happy you can find the VR lenses at very good prices. B&H is a great place to shop.

The nikon 105mm f2.8 might be a good portrait lens to lookin to and you get the macro feature to boot.
    Outdoor Macro shots really spices up your photo album IMO.

This thread from Didache has some of the best advice I have ever found when I was researching camera gear.

15 Truths about Photography
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 03-04-2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

How old are y9ur Quantarys? Thet aren't maximized for digital.
    The Nikon lenses you list get good reviews...I'd go with them and sell the quantarys.
    Also remember the 1.5 crop factor. Your 18-105 will be equivalent to a 27-150 and the 70-300 to a 105-450.
    Maybe look up reviews for the quantarys but I'd be willing to bet the Nikons are substantially better and if you don't get the lenses wit the kit its going to cost you a bubdle more.
    You can get a 50mm f/1.8 ais D for a hundred bucks which is less thanb what you'd lose not buying the kit.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    How old are y9ur Quantarys? Thet aren't maximized for digital.
    The Nikon lenses you list get good reviews...I'd go with them and sell the quantarys.
    Also remember the 1.5 crop factor. Your 18-105 will be equivalent to a 27-150 and the 70-300 to a 105-450.
    Maybe look up reviews for the quantarys but I'd be willing to bet the Nikons are substantially better and if you don't get the lenses wit the kit its going to cost you a bubdle more.
    You can get a 50mm f/1.8 ais D for a hundred bucks which is less thanb what you'd lose not buying the kit.
    The Quantaray's are both AF and about 10 years old.
    I've taken pretty good care of them and I could use them if I had to, although they could use a really good cleaning. The reviews that I've seen for them are pretty mixed. Some people swear by them and some say they are the worst things ever made. These are a couple of pictures that I took a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally upgrading to digital, could use some advise-viscaya2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So would a SDHC like the SanDisk 4GB Ultra II that has a 10 MB/s be just as good as the one with 40 MB/s. I'm not interested taking video so I'm not worried about that.
    The II generation would probably be just as good as the III generation when you're taking shots, especially if you're shooting JPG. However it would be slower to copy the files to your computer. These things are relatively cheap. I would go with the best.

BTW you haven't said if you're shooting RAW or not. If so, you'll need a RAW editor.
    Charles

I found Transcend 4 gb Class 6 for $10 so I think I'll go with that.
    http://www.adorama.com/TSSD6HC4G.html

I'll be shooting RAW and I do have a program for it. (Corel Photo-Paint X4)

I really appreciate everyone's help with this so far.
    Thanks you so much for taking the time to help

Hmmm

I have been using Transcend products for years. No advertising, marketing or fancy software, just the product that performs the way it's supposed to.

I use Nikon NX2 to treat my RAW files. You can do all sort of adjustments - or undo them - and keep working on the NEF file. The ones I use most often are exposure adjustment and D-lighting.

I advise you to check out the compatability of Corel Draw X4 with the D90 - it looks like you need a patch for it to be able to open the files. I can't open them on my Paint Shop Pro 12
    Charles

I just checked with the Corel site and I just need to add the service patch for it. But if it still doesn't work then I keep Nikon NX2 in mind.

Okay after everyone's help so far and a few tips that I found on the site I've modified my list.:thumbsup:

I'm sticking with the Nikon D90 and the two lenses, SB-600, and the extra battery.
    Instead of spending the money on a grip and the Sandisk memory I'm going to invest in:
    a Nikon 50mm 1.8D AF lens
    a light diffuser for the SB-600
    a Hoya Circular polarizing filter for the kit lenses
    two Transcend 4GB class 6 SDHC
    and a wireless remote for the D90

What do you think?:idea:

Thanks again
    Hector

I seldom use it but wouldn't be without my wireless rf remote so I think that's a good idea.
    The rest looks good to me.
    You have a tripod?
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks Frog.
    Yes I do have a tripod.

I just got my D90 in and am really excited.
    Unfortunately the memory is on back order!
    I think I'll be going out to pick up some memory at a local store so I can start shooting.
    For now I can charge the batteries and read the manuals

i'm happy for you. Your going to have a blast.
    That sucks they BO'd the memory.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Congratulations. If you have a Walmart nearby, they usually have memory for cheap.
    Also, be sure to use the digitutor site......it's easier to use than the manual
    Nikon DSLR "Digitutor" Links

I'd really like to see some of your shots, too.
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks!
    There is a lot to learn about this camera. So many bells and whistles.
    The Digitutor is going to be a big help. Thanks for the link!
    I looked at Walmart online and they have memory but it's class two and it's more expensive than the class 6 that I'm waiting on.
    I guess it's better to have lower class memory than none at all. And I can use it as backup memory once the others come in.
    Hector
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=279782

Nikon D90
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Nikon 18-105 3.5 VR
    Nikon 70-300 4.5 VR
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information