Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tripod suggestions part2

Thought I'd split this out since I cluttered up the original post and my last reply might have gotten overlooked. Instead of the Slik with the ballhead which won't support my XSi with large lenses apparently, I'm wondering what people think of this non-all-in-one setup for a budget.

tripod:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...egs_Black.html

head:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

Re: Tripod suggestions part2

Those I know doing general photography with the 190 series legs really like this head.

http://www.manfrotto.us/product/8374..._Rapid_Connect

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks, I think I've settled on a package deal but it's not going to actually be on my gift wish list due to the price. At least I know what I'm buying myself now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

drg

I mentioned the pistol grip heads in the original post. Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. But that's the way the web wobbles these days its seems!

The grip that Old Click mentioned is another variation on the newer concept in quick set easy adjustment heads that are gaining popularity.

There is nothing wrong with the geared or three way pan heads as long as they lock securely in one position. Any of them that have the pan portion that screws down with the same device as the other two axis will be fine. The only difficulty is realizing that you often have to set each axis separately unlike with a ball where you position the camera and then lock it.

The advantage with a three way head is that should you be panning between setups or with action it will keep the camera in the same horizontal plane and not let the whole set up swing wildly. The lens will remain in the proper overparticular orientation! Or you can use any axis this way if needed! Different applications. Of course you can interchange tripod heads if ever required!

Let us know what you get, but again, the Manfrotto line is a solid product.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

The tripod that you have the link for has wing nut locks for the legs. I myself think this would be time consuming compared to the flip lock type. Mine has the flip lock type and it is quick and easy to set up, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    The tripod that you have the link for has wing nut locks for the legs. I myself think this would be time consuming compared to the flip lock type. Mine has the flip lock type and it is quick and easy to set up, Jeff
    My latest link? Nope I specifically looked for a model (contrary to my original research) that has flip levers instead of the wingnuts. Directly from the specs on BH......

Leg Lock Type Flip levers

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion
    My latest link? Nope I specifically looked for a model (contrary to my original research) that has flip levers instead of the wingnuts. Directly from the specs on BH......

Leg Lock Type Flip levers
    The link you give earlier in this post states that it has wing nut locks and the picture also shows them. If you want the flip type locks this is not the tripod you want, Jeff

Look here under Product Highlights
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh yeah the first one did, I thought you were referring to my last link with the all-in-one package http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2847/KBID/3790 It uses a different tripod and ball combo all together from the original post.

My problem would be the height of the tripod, 62 inches with the centerpost extended. The height with centerpost down is 52.76 inches which I consider too low for me. I prefer, especially with long lenses, to not use any centerpost extension, Just my thoughts.

Phil

flyinion, having wingnuts on your tripod legs will, in my humble opinion drive you crazy after a while, I know it would drive me crazy. Not having a bubble level of some sort on my ball head would also drive me crazy. I have the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 and the 468MGRC0 (I'm not sure they make this one any more) and they both have level bubbles on them and that way I can be certain that everything is level as required on most occassions My combination will handle my Canon 5D Mk I with a fully extended 100-400 ml L IS lens on it with a 1.4X Extender attached and is quite stable. The difference between what you are proposing and what I have is $$$, but remember a tripod will last you a long time, maybe even longer than your current camera and so in my humble opinion, it was worth the little extra that I paid when I bought it and the ball head. MY 0.02 ¢ worth. Good luck with whatever you finally choose - I just hope it meets your immediate needs and your longer term needs.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Well, I was highly surprised for my birthday when my girlfriend surprised me with the following (I'd mentioned it to her that I'd settled on it, but wasn't asking for it for Christmas from anyone due to price)

Just got it last night so haven't had a chance to actually use it, but it looks like it's going to be a good setup. Will hold my camera with zooms and is tall enough for me to use with little to no center column.

If you choose to go with a side pistol grip head I would strongly recommend that you get one of these to put with it. http://www.feisol.net/panning-base-c...gg9nbgchnp3t53

I choose the PB-70 and it mates up perfectly. It is my setup on my studio tripod. I modified the head with an Arca-swiss quick release clamp as all my stuff is arca-swiss.

Sorry if this does not fit the way the thread is going. Apparently B&H is down and none of the posted links will pull up right now.

Thread Information