Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need Some Tripod Suggestions

I've been browsing the tripod reviews (not many of them available, to be honest) and am no closer to a decision than when I started. I am looking for the "perfect" tripod:

light weight,
    able to at least support a D200 with a 300mm lens with tele-extender,
    relatively short when folded so that it can be easily attached to and carried by those unwieldy straps on backpacks, and
    does not cost more than my first car.

Any suggestions?

PS I am thinking about a Kirk head. Any other suggestions with light weight being a key?
    Too many photo ops; too little time..

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Need Some Tripod Suggestions

When I get another tripod it will be the gitzo 2220 but you might want the 2228.
    Adorama has them at good price and sometimes they can be found on ebay.
    I only have experience with my old Sears tripod which is actually a nice tripod.
    Heads are another beast all together and I recently bought a giottos 5221 but it is a heavey head.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    the gitzo 2220 but you might want the 2228.
    Interesting suggestions. Thanks. I have,out of hand, rejected aluminum. No reason; just not the latest and greatest, I guess. The 2220 is "only" about 1 - 1.5 lbs. heavier than the true lightweights I've seen; and for the tradeoff in price,... It folds down to a reasonable 25" and extends to 64". I'll add these to my list.
    Too many photo ops; too little time..

I have a Gitzo G1228 which I guess has been discontinued (four section carbon fiber, about the same size). It's really a great tripod and the "sticker shock" was helped out by getting a great deal on a used one. I have since sold my other tripods and have no plans to change it. I did have a Kirk BH1 (purchased several years ago) and it was very good. The tripod was part of an equipment package and also included was an Arca-Swiss B1. Since I had to have the AS head rebuilt, I decided to keep it and sell the Kirk - but they're very similar. Designs may have changed over the years but - although this stuff is expensive - you probably won't want to replace it for a long time...

One thing, there's a big size and weight difference between a 300 f4 and an f2.8. I have used a 300 f4 on mine and it's rock solid, but never tried anything as big as a 300 f2.8.

You might want to read this article before you buy. Interesting and informative.
    http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

What you are looking for is going to be in the long run a compromise of some sort or another. You will have to decide which criteria is the most important. Unless of course you want are willing to trade your first born child.

I am fond of the Manfrotto 3021B Pro legs as they are quite sturdy. They are not all that much heavier than the CF model. If you are looking at using it for only the setup you have described you might look at this head.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

This head would be for larger lenses.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    I am fond of the Manfrotto 3021B Pro legs as they are quite sturdy.
    Great leg set, I would have mentioned them but they are aluminum. I don't think there's a huge weight savings for carbon fiber - at least my G1228 vs. a similar aluminum tripod. They do seem quite a bit stiffer which is great for the longer focal lengths and/or slow shutter speeds. The difference between it and a 3001 (similar sized aluminum) is noticable. CF also doesn't get so cold in the winter.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I thought the 2228 was the carbon fiver version of the 2220 but don't see it listed at Adorama or B&H anymore.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

I don't know if its all that complicated. Look for

- Idea weight. Too heavy is a burden to carry when hiking, but too light and the wind will vibrate it. Not an issue if you dont plan on hiking.

- Cost. I'm cheap, I don't want to go over $100 or so.

- Flexibility. Does it rotate and pivot and allow you to mount the camera low to the ground (if you plan on doing macro shots etc, this may be required on occasion...)

- Height. You probably want it's max height to be at least 5 and a half feet.

The good news is that most tripods will last a long, long time, so if you do get one that is a little pricey at least you will prob have it for awhile (unless you have to use it to beat off an attacking dog -- another use for a good tripod)

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Ghost

Not sure if it was mentioned. But there is no perfect tripod. You'll need two or three. And buy whatever is the modern equivalent of the Gitzo carbon fiber models and Arca Swiss heads with Really Right Stuff plates (or equivalent).

Thread Information