Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

An idea some of you might find useful

I have been setting up at art fairs lately and was looking for something to carry my framed pictures in. While I was in the Salvation Army Store I noticed that they have a large stock of nice, thick, ivory pillow cases brand new for 50 cents a piece. I bought 48 of them and they work great for framed pictures up to 11x14 easy and some 16x20 frames. I can carry them in these pillow cases and not worry about getting my frames scratched. Today I was thinking that since they are so cheap that I would go get another 50 and use them when I sell a framed photo for the customer to transport them back home in. These are made of nice thick material and look good and work well for just a very small price. I just thought I would pass this idea along so some of you may also put it to good use. Look in your local closeout stores and thrift stores and you may also find some very cheap, Jeff

First shot 11x14 frame sideways in pillow case
    Second shot in case with end folded over
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An idea some of you might find useful-dsc_3555.jpg   An idea some of you might find useful-dsc_3556.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n8

Re: An idea some of you might find useful

I'm not in the position to need to do that, but thats certainly a good idea.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Interesting idea Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

How do you pack your photos for travel and storage? I have cardboard corners that I use to protect the corners of all of my framed pieces and then pack them in plastic storage totes and then pack bubble wrap around them to keep them from shifting in the totes. It works great. I do the same thing with my matted work, minus the cardboard corners.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Great idea! I will definitely have to store that away for future reference.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Interesting idea Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

How do you pack your photos for travel and storage? I have cardboard corners that I use to protect the corners of all of my framed pieces and then pack them in plastic storage totes and then pack bubble wrap around them to keep them from shifting in the totes. It works great. I do the same thing with my matted work, minus the cardboard corners.

Most of my photography is nature photos and the people really seem to like the barn wood frame with them. I put them in these sturdy boxes that I purchased at Sam's Club Warehouse for $10.00 ea. They have lids with them and some sizes allow me to use the lids and some I have to leave off. I don't use bubble wrap but instead just roll up a towel and place it in the space to keep the pictures frames moving in the box. I also use these for the nicer framed prints with the pillow cases on them that keep them from getting scratched. I also learned the hard way NOT to use a two wheel hand cart to transport my boxes. At one show the cart hit a little bump and dumped some frames out that got scratched up. When I use my four wheel cart I eliminate this problem. You can see part of my cart in this picture. This process of going to these shows has been a real learning experience, Jeff

Using the four wheel cart lets me carry more stuff and eliminates having to balance the load and the possibility of things falling off and getting messed up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An idea some of you might find useful-dsc_3557.jpg  

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only problem is the supply, it could be limited. But at 50 cents each it's is a good deal!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    The only problem is the supply, it could be limited. But at 50 cents each it's is a good deal!
    Even if you just can find enough cases to transport you photos to and from the shows for your own use I think it would be a good thing. When I put a photo in a pillow case and fold it over that gives me three thicknesses of cloth between each of my photos and eliminates scratches. I am probably going back and get about 50 or 60 more to use for my customers That should last me a little while, I can put two back to back in each case for my customers, Jeff

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    This process of going to these shows has been a real learning experience.
    I know what you mean Jeff. Seems like I learn something every time I pack and unpack my stuff. Talking to other, more experienced vendors is a great way to pick up tips too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information