Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Please Help!! Cannot read file!

I have a Kodak EasyShare CX7330. About 3 days ago i transferred some pics to my pc and everything was fine. Today i took some pics and went to trasfer them. They transfered, but when i went to open them, a message saying "Kodak EasyShare Software cannot read the file. (FILE NAME HERE) The file exists, but may be damaged. When i went to print those pics from my dock, they came out perfect. What's going on?! I would really appreciate any help. A friend told me i may have a virus. But the only files and pics i'm having problems with are the pics that i recently took.

Re: Please Help!! Cannot read file!

its not a virus.. sounds like simple file corruption that has happened during the copying over to your pc..

if your dock plus camera shows up as removable drive in windows explorer.. u should be able to open the files while they are still on your camera card useing explorers double click option..

i never use picture transfer software.. i simply drag the folder containing my images straight from my camera card over to my pc.. u can either select move.. or copy.. and after checking the copy is successfull u can then delete the image files from your card useing wndows..

the probem with software that simply moves the files as opposed to first copying the files is that if the moving proccess fails u have lost your pictures.. if the copy proccess fails u still have your originals on your card..

hopefully u have sufficient "windows" knowledge to understand vaguely what i am talking about..

trog100

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    its not a virus.. sounds like simple file corruption that has happened during the copying over to your pc..

if your dock plus camera shows up as removable drive in windows explorer.. u should be able to open the files while they are still on your camera card useing explorers double click option..

i never use picture transfer software.. i simply drag the folder containing my images straight from my camera card over to my pc.. u can either select move.. or copy.. and after checking the copy is successfull u can then delete the image files from your card useing wndows..

the probem with software that simply moves the files as opposed to first copying the files is that if the moving proccess fails u have lost your pictures.. if the copy proccess fails u still have your originals on your card..

hopefully u have sufficient "windows" knowledge to understand vaguely what i am talking about..

trog100

Unforunately i have no idea what u mean to do. When i trasfer the pics, Kodak EasyShare software starts up as soon as it's done transfering. And they're all messed up. I opened them in 3 different programs, including my web browser, and they are all the same. Someone said i should uninstall and reinstall the software. Will that work? And if i do, will it delete the pics on my camera?

"Someone said i should uninstall and reinstall the software. Will that work? And if i do, will it delete the pics on my camera?"

if any software starts playing up the uninstall reinstall path is alway the way to go.. and if u remove your camera out of the dock it cant really touch it can it.. if your files have been corrupted thow and u dont have the originals still on the cameras flash card i think u have lost them..

what i would advise u to do is by a cheap usb card reader.. this gives u an alternative option to the seemlingly locked in kodak system.. u take the card out of your camera pop it in the reader u can then look at your pics while still on the card.. copy them to your pc.. pretty much do anyhting u want with them.. while stiil being able to use the kodak software if u like it..

my first foray into digicams was a kodak DX3600 i think this was their first docking system camera.. i used the dock to charge the camera but still used a card reader to transer my pics..

trog100

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    "Someone said i should uninstall and reinstall the software. Will that work? And if i do, will it delete the pics on my camera?"

if any software starts playing up the uninstall reinstall path is alway the way to go.. and if u remove your camera out of the dock it cant really touch it can it.. if your files have been corrupted thow and u dont have the originals still on the cameras flash card i think u have lost them..

what i would advise u to do is by a cheap usb card reader.. this gives u an alternative option to the seemlingly locked in kodak system.. u take the card out of your camera pop it in the reader u can then look at your pics while still on the card.. copy them to your pc.. pretty much do anyhting u want with them.. while stiil being able to use the kodak software if u like it..

my first foray into digicams was a kodak DX3600 i think this was their first docking system camera.. i used the dock to charge the camera but still used a card reader to transer my pics..

trog100

Yea the card reader does seem like a really good idea anyway. I think the software that pops up rite after they transfer is useless anyway. I talked to somebody who is very familiar with this kind of stuff so i am gonna try out a few things he said may solve the problem. If all else fails i will uninstall and reinstall. Thanx for the help!

Problem solved guys! Thanx for the help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeris32
    Problem solved! Thanx for the help!

How did you solve the problem? I'm suffering from the same thing!

Thread Information