Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Movie-Export yielding only 14 min. avi file of 55 min movie on NTFS drive

This may be kind of a newbie video-editing question, although I am not a newbie to PCs. I have been using Premiere 1.5 to edit some old 8 mm family movies which were transferred to VHS about 20 years ago. I transferred to DV via camera and captured the hour’s worth of video. Sliced it up into manageable segments and corrected color and the many other faults that occurred when cameras were not as intelligent when the film was made originally. BTW, I am very impressed with what Adobe has been able to do with color corrections etc on video like in PhotoShop. I added music, titles etc. The problem that I’m having is when I export it via Export – Movie (I wanted to take a look at the ‘finished’ version prior to burning) it only produces an avi file of 3.2G covering a little over 14 minutes of the total 55 minutes. When the exporting starts out it tells me that I have a little more than 101,000 frames to render, it will take about 8 hours and it concludes the rendering without any error messages. I read thru the forum posts and made sure that viewing area bar was zoomed out far enough to view the entire project (although opinions seemed to be mixed that this really mattered when rendering the entire project). BTW, I have had no crashes or hiccups during any part of this process and also, the drive is formatted as NTFS so the problem isn't due to file size.

Here are the details of the export configuration:
    Export
    Video and audio
    Entire Sequence

Filetype
    Microsoft DV AVI

Video Settings
    Compressor: DV (NTSC)
    Frame size: 720h 480v (0.900)
    Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9)
    Color depth: Millions of colors
    Quality: 100 (out of 100)
    Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Settings
    Compressor: Uncompressed
    Sample rate: 48000 samples/second
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample type: 16-bit

I have managed to figure out most everything else (so far) but am stumped on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Movie-Export yielding only 14 min. avi file of 55 min movie on NTFS drive

Hey Jim, I don't use premiere, but I believe that Skyman does, he should get around to answering soon. I also have a few students who use it, but won't see them until after 1/3, I'll see if one can post an answer if you don't have one by then.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Movie-Export yielding only 14 min. avi file of 55 min movie on NTFS drive

Thanks for the response, Michael. I finally figured out that I had to render about 10 mins at a time and simply work my way through the whole video. This technique worked and I could then Export>Movie to get an avi file. But still had to use another video program to import and burn the DVD as PP would still not crash when selecting Export>MPEG2-DVD.

Thread Information