Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Optio S4i - video file won't play on PC - sound only

have an optio s4i - I can transfer the photos to the pc easily but when transferring the video file - when played on the PC, all that results is the sound file - no vision (Windows 98). It plays back fine on the camera itself but not on the PC! Windows Media player says it is looking for a new codec but always seems to fail.. The software disk that came has Quicktime - but as the file is an AVI file this is no use either.

Any ideas would be appreciated as bub no 1 is on the way and the pressure is on!!!!

thanks

UP

Digital Video Forum

This sounds like an issue with the software you're using to play the file. Try upgrading your player or using a different player. There are lots of different multimedia players that will play AVI files. I use Winamp for MP3 and video files.

You might also want to post this question on the Digital Video forum. You're more likely to get a specific and detailed answer on video-relaled issues there: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=28

Good luck - and please post a review for your camera! So far no one has posted a review for that camera. Here's a link to the Optio S4i review page: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscCame...2_4337crx.aspx
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

How is the Optio S4i? I am really looking into buying one, its my favorite thus far. Any general comments, or specific things would be great. I am looking for a compact camera with: Auto and manual focus, Video without time limit (until memory is full), nice resolution, small enough to be carried in my pocket (I'm a 6'1" guy so most do fit), but is durable.
    I know the S4 fits into an altoids can, but this one doesnt because of the re-enforced wrist strap . That would be a nice perk or maybe i could get some other breathmint can for my case . Also, do you know anything about the S500 or S550 and whether those would be worth the investment?

Thanks,
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by digione
    have an optio s4i - I can transfer the photos to the pc easily but when transferring the video file - when played on the PC, all that results is the sound file - no vision (Windows 98). It plays back fine on the camera itself but not on the PC! Windows Media player says it is looking for a new codec but always seems to fail.. The software disk that came has Quicktime - but as the file is an AVI file this is no use either.

Any ideas would be appreciated as bub no 1 is on the way and the pressure is on!!!!

thanks

UP

Did you install all the included software? There's a chance the codec might be on there. If not, try upgrading players like PJ suggested.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information