Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question FotoConnection or ExpressCameras?

Does anyone have any experence with those too stores? I am looking to buy the Digital Rebel. Do these look like good sites?

http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...=5342&section=

http://www.expresscameras.com/cart/p...d=8845&start=1

Frequent Lurker
    Chris,
    While I have no experience with either of these places, you might check out this links.

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2
    http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--31423.html
    http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--66756.html

Not a lot of reviews for some of the links, but virtually none are positive. Basically, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. A place selling a Digital Rebel for substantially less than anywhere else isn't really planning to give it to you at that price. Typically, you have to "call to confirm the order" with these places and then they try to sell you extra items. When you don't want any of the extras, the DRebel will then be out of stock all of a sudden. The other thing many of these places do is strip the boxes. When they say "body only" that is exactly what they mean. For that price, you don't get a battery, charger, strap, manual, etc. All of these items are extra. You will probably also find most of these places have extremely high shipping and handling costs. I've seen on the order of $60 or more for standard shipping. They also typically have high restocking fees that way when you find you've been had (assuming you actually get the camera from them), it costs you a fortune to send it back. Knowing how hard you are working for your money, I would recommend continuing to save and shopping with a reputable store. You are not likely to save any money from the "cheap" places by the time everything is said and done.

Good luck.
    Terry

Re: FotoConnection or ExpressCameras?

I believe any of the positive reviews are fake. First, they complimented me on my purchase, which is nice, but odd. Then they said I NEEDED to buy an expensive battery pack for the device, which having used the exact device in question, I knew I neither wanted nor needed. After I spent several minutes trying to convince them I didn't need the battery pack, they told me my item was out of stock when it was clearly indicated on their web site that it was in stock. They then said that they had a few in stock, but they cost more. Same item, but I couldn't buy it for the price I agreed to online. They were asking $100 more. When I asked them why they couldn't fulfill the order for the price we agreed to online through the initiation of a web order, they hung up on me. I expressed no malice and kept a calm, level and non-accusatory voice. I called back their manager, Joey at 800-457-0889 Ext. 260 and it seemed as if he were avoiding my phone call (I tried ringing the extension about 4 times in the course of 10 minutes). Eventually, I tried the operator at Ext. 0 who said they couldn't place my order. I then let them know that I felt their business was acting in what I believed to be a lawful, but highly unethical manner. I feel really awful that they have my credit card information. Lesson learned. Stay away from fotoconnection.

What this guy says about fotoconnection is true.
    Last edited by ericrolph; 04-15-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Thumbs down Re: FotoConnection or ExpressCameras?

Ugh,
    A terrible, terrible experience with expresscameras.com. I needed to buy a new camera for a trip and have it shipped promptly. I ordered with 3-day shipping on Monday to receive by Friday. On Wed I recieve an email saying I need to confirm the order. I nervously call to find out when I will get my camera/lenses and the rep tries to sell me all this other stuff that I did not order. (They use this "confirmation" to try to sell you other stuff you don't need/want). Finally, after a long conversation, he promises to ship me my original order overnight so I will receive it by Friday. On Monday the order still hasn't arrived. I call again to find out what happened, and again he tries to sell me the package he was trying to sell the week before, getting angry at me for not buying it! Unbelievable! After telling him I'm tired of explaining my order to him, I'm put on hold for over 10 minutes, at which point I hang up and call back. He answers and finally lets me know my items are not in stock and can't get to me before my trip at all.

I canceled the order and ordered elsewhere, now having to pay for overnight shipping, and having less than 1 day to test my camera and new lenses before leaving on my trip to Africa. Very disappointed - to put it mildly - with the service all around at expresscameras. (The sales rep was Ryan, x 237.)

I wish I have read this before I made an order to bestpricecameras.com. Exactly the same story: the listed camera is out of stock, and only a much more expensive camera is available. On top of it, they make near impossible to return the camera. Never order anything from this company.

I have never had any experience with these companies
    Last edited by briancbray; 08-30-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: None

Thumbs down Re: FotoConnection or ExpressCameras?

Wish I had found the feedback about Foto Connection before I got burned.
    I ordered a Sony Camcorder from them. Even with shipping, they had one of the lowest prices on the web. NOT

Within hours of placing my order, I got a call from "Pete" who told me that the web price only included the camera, not the battery or charger. He claimed I would have to pay an extra $70 for the battery and charger.

I thought this was odd, but seeing it was for a gift, I said OK.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

I went back to their website and realized I'd been had. I called them back and tried to cancel the order (all this took about 15 minutes) They claimed the order had already been shipped!!! RIGHT!!!

Of course, when the package arrived, it had the expected manufacturer-supplied accessories including... you guessed it... a battery and a charger. ... so what the heck was the $70 extra for?

I've contacted my credit card company to withhold payment... we'll see if that will get their attention.

STAY AWAY FROM FOTO CONNECTION - they are BAD NEWS!!!!

Frauludent bait-and-switch scams are unethical and illegal!

See reviews for expresscameras at resellerratings.com. NOT good

I ordered a camcorder from expresscameras.com and within two hours the bank called saying my credit card had been charged twice for $500 originating from the carribean. DO NOT BUY FROM EXPRESSCAMERAS

DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS!

Well, I thought I was web savy but this one slipped by. I googled Nikon D80 and expresscameras.com came up with the lowest price $409.00 vs around $1,000.00 for everyone else. I checked the website for the usual safety icons (but I didn't realize these are only symbols not links). I placed my order for the D80 and the Nikon 80-400mm zoom lens for $1299.00 (a common price).

Next day at 6pm pst while I was getting dinner ready and kids doing home work, I get a call to confirm the order. Once confirmed, the caller says, "I have that same camera and the lens you ordered is crap, you should get the "new" Sigma 70-300, it is lighter and faster and takes better pictures and if you don't get it your a real idiot". He told me to check it out on their website, he told me to type in "new" in the search bar and a listing of lenses came up. This one was on it listing for $1599.99. Eventually, I agreed to buy the "superior" lens, mainly to get the guy off the phone but then he tried to push more stuff on me; telling me his job depended on it and I didn't want him to loose his job during the holidays.

After the call, I researched the "new" $1599.00 lens and found that on the sigma website the suggested retail price for the lens was $300.00 and Amazon had it for $119.00. Basically, I was ripped off $1400.00. Next day I called back to cancel the order and they said it had already shipped and was charged to my card.

I called Visa and cancelled the payment and emailed and called expresscameras to tell them. The camera and lens arrived but I sent it all back.

Don't be stupid like me, don't deal with these crooks!

Called fotoconnection to order a Nikon d 80 from their website ..First person told me that they were out of stock. I recalled to ask if they would get more D80s. When I mentioned the D80 I was asked what package I wanted..After I gave this information, I was told I would have to buy adapter rings at $140 each. Three were needed. I then asked why was I told on the first call that they were out of D80s? The fellow on the line then asked me ."Why did you call back if you were told we didn't have any" I told him I wanted to know when they would get more in stock..He hung up on me.
    This sounds like a fly=by=night outfit. If I lived in New Jersey I would personally visit this store.

Thumbs down ExpressCameras.com

I was lured by a cheap price on google.

Well where do I begin on telling you how zucked up ExpressCameras are! They dont do anything that they say on there website - I had a order of 2800 dollars and it took me 3+ weeks after I cancelled it to get the money back, even after they said I could not cancel - it was canceled - they send nothing to confirm anything, they wont contact you at all. Luckly after reporting them to my bank and the attorney general office - i got my money back - i thought it was gone forever, what a stressfull nightmare that was.

They hang up on you - rude conversations - call you crazy - long waits to end back where you were at in the phone que and then you get dissconnected - the list goes on on & on - I could not believe that this place from straight from hell could exist? Why the government has not shut them down - total scam artist and big liars - STAY AWAY!!!!

Go to B&V video and set your mind at ease - the prices at Expresscameras.com are all lies also - so dont even think about calling them.. don't do it!!

Go here to safely buy online: www.bhphotovideo.com

BEWARE, these people are frauds. I placed an order, in the comments i told them not to contact me to sell me anything extra. I knew what i wanted, and didn't want anything else. The next day I check my order and it is CANCELLED. How they operate is, you order, then they call to "confirm" the order. It is there that they try to sell you other stuff. If you don't buy, they cancel the order. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE CRIMINALS. UPDATE!!!! I called and after 15 min on hold, I told them they are wrong, and why not just put the REAL price on the page. He told me for 1343$ he would sell me the camera. Far cry from the $1139 web site price!

Re: fotoconnection.com: I just wanted to add to what has been posted about this company. I've been aware of dealings where bait and switch goes on, so I was surprised when I saw an ad on Amazon's web-site listing fotoconnection.com as a supporter of Amazon. I was in the market for a Nikon D80, and Amazon's price was where most of the prices were, in the $900 range. Like everyone else, I wanted to find the best price (should of known better) so I went to the fotoconnection site and found the D80 selling for $739.00 a substantial savings. I also wanted the vertical grip, which I have on my film slr, so I ordered that also. I gave them all my info and CC numbers, and rec'd a email confirming my order. That was followed by another e-mail for me to call them to confirm the order. There was the usual attempt to upsell me,which I just told whomever I spoke to, I just wanted the two items, and nothing else. I then received another e-mail confirming my order and rec'd a tracking number and attachment of my order. Upon opening the attachment, I found that there was no mention of the D80, and I was charged $135.99 for the vertical grip, when its shown on the web-site that the grip is $119.00 and FREE SHIPPING. I then called customer service and they had no record of the D80. I called back incensed (but calm and cool) and spoke to a James, who said the D80 is back ordered, but the MB-D80 has been shipped. I asked James why the price was $135 instead of $119. He said it was for shipping and insurance. I told him that shipping was FREE and he just said "good day" and hung up. I called my CC company to dispute the charge, and the next day rec'd the package. (now that's fast shipping, two days UPS!) Well, lo and behold, the item appeared new, but it was gray market, no USA warranty! There ad states USA warranty! I'm awaiting my order for the D80 from Amazon and see indeed if the side grip works. I e-mailed Amazon about the fact that fotoconnection uses their good services to lure unsuspecting buyers with low prices, deceptive prices and bait & switch tactics. Wish there was some way to put these people out of business and in jail! Sorry for being long-winded, but wanted to get this out on the internet. John Jay the deflizard

Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

I know I should have checked here first, but made the mistake of placing an order with fotoconnection first. I was trying to order a Canon Rebel xti. They were not the lowest on the web and were actually close enough to the mainstream prices that they looked legit. The order page showed the picture of the Rebel xti and the product code and description also spelled this out. I placed the order and knew I was headed for trouble when I got the email asking me to call in to verify the order. When I called in they first tried to jack up the order with accessories but I told them this was a replacement and I didn't need anything. Then the guy told me I had ordered the international model and did I want the US model instead. I told him I had the web site up and it showed a picture and a written description of the Rebel xti not the 400D. I asked if they were in the habit of falsely advertising what they were selling. He said "I'm cancelling your order for accusing" (sic) and then hung up on me. As a side note - one more great reason to use AMEX for web purchases!!

Be careful - fotoconnection also sells under these names and addresses:

According to BBB, This firm also does business under the following names. This is not necessarily a complete list.

1 Stop Camera & Computers

1 Stop Camera & Electronics

4U Digital

Digital Net Shop

ePhoto Club

Inoax

One Stop Camera & Computers

Rite Buys

Superior Dealz

The New Connection

The Wiz Store

TVs Depot
    Additional Locations

This firm also does business at the following locations.

PO Box 4218
    Great Neck, NY 11023

PO box 751
    New Hyde Park, NY 11040

PO Box 300425
    Brooklyn, NY 11230

21 South Middle Neck Road
    Great Neck, NY 11021

1288 Coney Island Avenue
    Brooklyn, NY 11230

902 Kings Highway
    Brooklyn, NY 11223

1100 Coney Island Avenue
    Brooklyn, NY 11230

Report as of: 7/31/2007

Apparently I didn't do any searches about this companies' disreputable business practices. My experience reads almost exactly like some of the other posts of experiences with this company. I called their phone number and asked about the camera I wanted. I specifically asked if the one listed at the price listed was a full Retail version. They said yes. I asked them if it was in stock and how quickly can I have it delivered. He said they had it in stock and that I could get one within a week. Then he tried to upsell me and didn't like the no, no, no that I kept telling him so he told me to order it from the website and hung-up. So I did. 30 mintues later, someone called me and tried to upsell me again. I told him that I spoke with someone earlier that told me to order it online and that I didn't need any other acessories. Then told me that this was an oem model and was not a full retail kit even though I told him that someone I talked to at their company told me it was not the oem version. Then he asked me if I wanted to speed up the delivery and buy next day delivery. They said it would take 14-21 days and I told him that I did not have the time to wait that long. He asked me if I wanted to cancel my order and I said yes cancel my order. The next day I recieve an email that my order has shipped. So I sent them an email using their web page, telling them to cancel the order the way I asked them to and they said that I had to pay a restocking fee. I replied again using their ticketing system at their website to let them know that they were dispicable and that I would pay no such fee. I also let them know that if indeed they did mail me a camera, (because they did charge my card) I would send it back to them. So thats where I am now. I have not received the camera, they have charged my card and I think I am getting an oem version (but I still don't know). I have put a sign on my front door for the UPS person that says we refuse any package from fotoconnection so that I don't have to pay return shipping cost. What a hassle this purchase has become. These people are openly dishonest and make no excuses for it. I will contact my credit card company and tell them to reverse the charges for the camera. BEWARE FOTOCONNECTION they are crooks! You could probably call them and ask them and they would own up to it!

Unhappy Re: FotoConnection or ExpressCameras?

Quote Originally Posted by iranintoavan
    Does anyone have any experence with those too stores? I am looking to buy the Digital Rebel. Do these look like good sites?

I do not recommend Fotoconnection.
    The customer service department personnel are very rude and unhelpful.

I ordered a camera from this company, with a guaranteed overnight delivery by December 24, 2007. UPS apparently lost the package, and thus I didn ot receive it by the guaranteed date. When I called fotoconnection.com to discuss the problem, I was put on hold multiple times for up to 15 minutes each time, and then was told that they filed a claim with UPS and I would have to wait 8 business days for a resolution. My bank account was charged $243.99 on December 21, 2007. I asked that I be sent a new camera or have my account credited back the amount charged, and they told me it was not their fault, thus I would have to pay for this camera until the problem was sorted out. They were incredibly rude, talking over me and yelling at me over the phone. They then told me I could take my business elsewhere if I was not happy. I felt that if they guaranteed the delivery, it is between fotoconnection and UPS, and I want either a new shipment or my money back immediately. Once UPS finds the package they can ship it back to fotoconnection. As of right now, I have now camera and am short $243.99, and am not sure if I will ever get this money back.

I didnt have any experiences with expresscameras, however i did with foto :thumbsup: okyes i got the stupid emails for confirmation. i called in. I even did this after I read this post. So check it out; I called in the usual experience you guys are having, but I know from facts that most manufactures do only supply a trial size memory and a trial size battery unless you are buying a sony digital camera, in which case the battery will always be the same. no matter how much you spend there you will not spend as much as you would at the big retail stores. even BHphotovideo.com yes they are known, but I checked out how much I would spend with them and foto was still cheaper and I got the damn stuff in les than a week. so go figure. Yeah I bough ta wide angle lens because they are very useful. I already use it. I know about the warranty company and have had friends use them. its either cps or repairtech. both are known and though I have not heard reviews about cps, I have had friends need to use repair tech and they are good, geniuine. So I dont get why people dont protect their product. Ok I agree that salesmen there could be pushy, but in most cases they are right. the boss of a multi million dollar company is not going to let idiots be salesmen. It wouldnt make any sense. My salesman is John and I also spoke with lance in custimer service because i was a little nervous. everything worked out great. they make their money you get it cheaper. Things that are very useful. on a video camera you need an extra battery, its common sense so is a warranty if you are spending over i'd say 750 for it to be worth it. im sure some of the salesmen arent as helpful. when you call ask to speak with john. he is very kind and i happen to think he knows a good grip about electronics. I will be calling him again. on another note I will call them 10 times and just ask questions, disguising my identity. I will list the most helpful salesmen next time i post. oh also whoever posted before about a joey. thier extensions are 4 digits not 3. so i question if he ever really did buy from them.

DO NOT use either of these stores!
    I order a camera on December 18th and they claimed "Same day shipping". By January 2nd, the camera had still not arrived so I phoned and cancelled.
    On January 11th the "head of purchasing" called me and said he was sending me an upgraded model. I told him I had cancelled my order. BUT... Before I had said the word cancelled, he cut me off and told me. "Whatever you are about to say, you will be lying". Fortunately, I had written down the Agents name, date and time I had cancelled the order. I told him, he could send the camera, but I was not going to pay. He said he would NOT send the camera but would charge me a $200.00 cancellation fee! I told him to go ahead and try. I would report him and blog the company. He promptly hung up!

DO NOT USE THESE SHARKS!!! They should be shut down!

I know- don't use ExpressCamera! But I thought I'd try just once.
    Immedaite email response telling me I had to call in to "confirm" my order
    Then they called me.
    Started right in telling me the flash I wanted was no good for the camera I had.
    (SB800 for a D200???) would I buy a new camera? no
    would I buy a different flash -maybe a Sigma? no
    Me: I would just like to buy the flash- will you sell it to me?
    Them:Why don't you want to buy the best?
    Me: I would just like to buy the flash- will you sell it to me?
    Them: No- not if you won't answer my question.
    Me: OK, then I'll buy it elsewhere, bye.

bottom line-- this is a ripoff company

This camera is amazing! I got it from a local dealer for a better price then Fotoconnection! Do not buy from these guys because they lure you in with the price of a whole sale chinese version without all the necessities, like a battery! and chinese menues, and upsell you to the american version for the same price you would have paid elsewhere! They bounce you around sales people and are impolite about it. Everyone that works there claims to be a manager of some sort to make you feel as though your sale is being handled by management personally. They are dishonest and eventually sell you the product for a higher price then you would have paid at Amazon!

Quote Originally Posted by iranintoavan

FotoConnection - VERY BAD - Cheaters and Liars...
    I ordered Sony T2 camera and i was in a situation thinking if the order will b delivered or not... 1) I got and email asking me to call to confirm the order. I thought they are asking to call to check the billing. But a person took the phone and asked if i need extra batteries, as batteries wont be included in the package. That was a big LIE, as i know Sony T2 camera is LI battery which will be included in package. Then i said no need and that person suddenly said 'Ok bye' and disconnected the phone. Then i received similar mail the next day and the same happened. This proves they are liers... 2) They had an offer of free started camera kit with this camera. When i placed the order it said "It will be added automatically to the Order". I called them to confirm and they said yes it will be added automatically. I received the camera today, which i had no hopes. Then i called them to check if the free starter kit is sent in another package. Only then they said i need to pay for the shipping cost of 9.95 for the free camera kit. This was not mentioned when i placed the order and when i called them to confirm. So this is obvious cheating. All it was mentioned in when i placed the order was "It will be added automatically to the Order". This proves they are cheaters... So please dont trust this guys.... "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information