Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Prestige Camera - Fraud

Do not puchase camera equipment from Prestige Camera.
    1. Their internet site is misleading.
    2. Their sales call after the inital order is placed is meant to sell you items you do not need at higer prices than they are really worth.
    3. They will not allow an order to be cancelled over the phone - they force the shipping on you and then tell you to deal with customer service.
    4. Customer service are a bunch of trained goons with a mission to distract and confuse the issues.
    5. Prestige camera is basically a dishonest bunch of theives.
    6. If their price seems too good to be true it is.

My experience - Bought a 50 D. Expected it to have a battery and charger. Was called next day by sales to confirm order and a real pro pressuerd me into batteries, chargers and CF cards that are included in other web site ads for Canon 50 D. The salesman also lied about the campatibility of the 50 D and 20 D battery and charger to "talk me into" a new charger and battery. When I realized my error and that I had been overcharged by almost $500 - I called to cancel. I was lied to again, "your order has shipped and cannot cancel - you will now have to deal with customer service when your order arrives." Order arrived on time - missing owners manual and camera box was open - no CF card either. So I called customer service - real jerks, threatened me with civil law suit, recoreded my conversation, told me to return the camera with a 15% re stocking fee and on and on.

Final resolution - I complained enough to get a $250 dollar credit. With the credit I believe I still paid $200 - $300 more than I should have (compared to a reputable site offering - Ritz and Samy's)

Do yourself a favor - do not buy from Prestige Camera - you are setting yourself up for a screwing if you do.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Prestige Camera - Fraud

Do yourself another favour, check out our thread Recommended sites and sites to avoid
    And check out the ratings on resellerratings.com before you shop.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Yes stay away from Prestige Camera. the business name is Broadway Camera.

Additional Business Names:

A&M Photo World
    Best Camera
    Camera Addict
    Cameratopia
    Digital Liquidators LLC
    Ghu, LLC
    Millennium Camera
    Preferred Photo
    Prestige Camera
    Quest4Cameras
    Regal Camera
    TheDigitalExpo
    Tronicity
    Wild Digital LLC

Nature of Business

Complaints to the Bureau indicate that this firm uses high pressures sales tactics after consumers place their orders. After ordering merchandise consumers report receiving a phone call from the firm’s customer representatives attempting to sell additional items. Representatives allegedly try to persuade consumers to buy the U.S. warranty, as well as accessories like cables, peripherals, and software, or lead consumers to believe the product will not work if additional merchandise is not purchased. In some cases, if the consumers declined, an email was sent advising them to cancel their orders because the item was on back-order despite being listed as available on the firm’s website. Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company’s staff.

The above info comes directly from the Better Business Bureau.
    Here's my story
    A week ago Monday I placed an order on line for the Rebel xsi according to the web site it was in stock. The next day I got a call saying that they wanted to verify my mailing address. the man proceeded to sell me a battery fat a very steep price tell me that the battery that comes with the camera only lasts a few minutes. He also tried to sell me an sd card. when I told him I already had one he told me the camera took a special one. I refused to buy anything more and he told me I would have the camera in 5 days. One week later here was no camera. I called the the automated number to check on my order but got a message that the order # did not exist. I went to my account on line on the stores and found a message stating that the camera was on back order. I called the store and insisted that they cancel the order. the man was condescending and and spoke to me as if I were an idiot. He told me my confirmation # was "c" like in "kangaroo" and "n" like in "knife" followed by the original order # I was given (the same # the automated system said did not exist). Needles to say I have been on the web site these past 2 days and they continue to advertise the camera as "in stock".

Here is my actual email history which I sent to Prestige Camera and of course they have not responded nor honored their commitment. I also sent this to the CT Attorney General.

Dear Prestige Camera Staff,

I am greatly distressed by the business approach, agent’s attitude, and emails received from your company and hoping that I am incorrect about the perception I have with your company’s unethical practices. I am sharing the history of this transaction and then will ask for your written disposition.

I place the online order for a the Nikon S60 Champagne Pink Digital Camera for a total of $229.00 and free shipping – 11/23/08

Received email from Prestige 11/24/08 11:14 requesting verification of billing information. I launched the email at approximately 5:00 pm that evening

11/24/08 5:00 ish - Called the required phone number and was placed on hold for 23 minutes. Hung up and dialed the customer service number and was again placed on hold for another 13 minutes before an agent spoke to me.

The live agent verified my billing information and said the camera would ship tomorrow morning.

Before disconnecting the call the agent attempted to sell me additional accessories and said they would ship tomorrow with the camera.

When I asked for the final price it did not add up to the numbers I had expected and I asked for a verbal itemization of the new total that clearly would have exceeded the pricing that I was willing to pay.

There were hidden charges added that I did not authorize and he said in order to remove the additional charges we he would need to get his managers approval.

At that moment I instructed the Prestige Agent to revert back to my original order of 1 Nikon S60 Pink camera with free UPS shipping for $229.

The agent tried to convince me that I could not do that and I said that what he was trying to do was against the law and he needed to honor my original order commitment which I had a written confirmation from his company. I asked the agent to verify my total again and send me a written confirmation and my tracking number.

The agent stated it was back to $229 and my tracking number would be received tomorrow once the item shipped and abruptly hung up

11/25/08 12:00 – Out of Stock notification email was received. Clearly my conversation coupled with the up sell declination is the reason I received this legal ease type message you can see below.

The Internet research I have done since 5:00 am this morning is why I am canceling this order. See below for the Links to research.
    Prestige Camera....BAD!!!!
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...43/page/0.html
    http://iripoff.com/2508/Prestige_Camera_LLC.html
    http://start.cortera.com/company/res...ge-camera-llc/
    http://www.naturalnews.com/020780.html
    Ny Attorney General Consumer Fraud Line 1-800-771-7755
    Nikon Inc.1300 Walt Whitman Road Melville, NY 11747-3064, U.S.A. 631-547-4200

Called the direct number listed for Prestige Camera LLC, (718) 338-3715 11/25/08 9:01 am and the message referenced Broadway Camera not Prestige Camera company and pressed 2 and was left on hold. Hung up and called the 800 745 3986 and placed on hold again.

Spoke to Supervisor, Lawrence Jackson at 9:15 and explained the above. He assured me they are a reputable company and these negative comments on websites are not a big deal and only a misunderstanding and Prestige does order direct from Nikon. He attempted to convince me that I ordered a Black Friday special and that is why they are out of stock. I explained I had the print screens and can see the web site and it is not a black Friday sale special. Lawrence Jackson said they only had the enhanced packages. I reminded Lawrence that if he has the enhanced package in the warehouse then they can remove the non standard components and send me that in an effort to honor the companies commitment. Lawrence stated that he has the packages in the warehouse and can send me the basic package I ordered. If need be he would take out the enhanced battery and give me the standard Nikon battery. Lawrence agreed to call me back with the confirmation before noon today.

Lawrence agreed to contact the warehouse at 10:00 am when they open to get me the Nikon S60 I ordered within the standard Nikon package with the Nikon quality free shipping, for the quoted price of $229 and no more, and shipped today as the Prestige Agent committed.

Lawrence did not call me back on 11/25/08 nor was there an email communication from Lawrence Jackson or Prestige Camera to confirm shipment.

I have included our CT Attorney General, Richard Blumenthal for a call to investigate your company and ensure Prestige has honored their business commitment
    Also copied the web site administrators that support you as a reputable business to ensure they understand the situation and all supporting email attachments

I am awaiting Prestige Camera to send a written confirmation my order was shipped and no additional charges were or will be applied to my card.

Thread Information