ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member racingpinarello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mountain View,CA
    Posts
    849

    Yosemite Gathering -

    Hello...after reading Penny's thread about the MK2, I would like to propose a Yosemite gathering. Right now the water flow for the falls are at an all time high, and there is plenty of snow on the ground.

    With a fresh coat this weekend, it should be spectacular.

    How about the following dates: April 10-11, April 17-18 or later in May.

    It can be any date, but I can drive from the bay area with 3 other people with gear in my Subaru. This is a great place for film or digital (color or b&w).

    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

    * Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

  2. #2
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734
    Hi Loren,

    Fantastic idea!! I've been trying to get a Yosemite gathering going for the past couple years, but they always seem to fall through at the last minute..

    Unfortunately I'll be in Utah (on my way home actually) April 10 &11 and my boys have Little League Baseball games every weekend from now through May so I doubt I can make it this time. I'll do my best though.

    Thanks for trying to get this started!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  3. #3
    Junior Member ichiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    47

    May would be good.

    It's been a few years since i've been to yosemite in the spring. I'll see if my dad's interested too.


    Ivan

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    Hummmm

    I just don't know about the trip. Sorry about the late reply. I received the private message on 3/31 about a possible gathering, and just now returned home to check onit. All I can say if it is in May or further on, There may be a chance for me. For now I'll have to stick to my home state and do some close weekend photo trips. I'll keep reading this thread and see what comes up. Thanks for letting me know. Jim

  5. #5
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    The date has been set...

    Penny suggested we go over Memorial Day weekend (5/28-5/31) and that works great for me. I've already made my reservations at The Forks Resort (http://theforksresort.com) for that weekend so I'm there regardless. I know the Bohays have already made reservations as well..

    Hope to see everyone there!
    ~Brian


    Quote Originally Posted by jf58
    I just don't know about the trip. Sorry about the late reply. I received the private message on 3/31 about a possible gathering, and just now returned home to check onit. All I can say if it is in May or further on, There may be a chance for me. For now I'll have to stick to my home state and do some close weekend photo trips. I'll keep reading this thread and see what comes up. Thanks for letting me know. Jim
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  6. #6
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Photo Exchange

    The photo exchange is an interesting idea. How exactly does it work? Do I choose what photo(s) I give out or what? Talk to me Penny.. Advise me.

    I'm all up for dinner as well. I'll look into places to eat in the general area.. Think there's anywhere good to eat in the park? Maybe I can get us a couple 'possums and a muskrat or two on the way and we could have a good ol' southern barbecue! ;)

    Can you tell I'm excited about getting another gathering going?
    ~B
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  7. #7
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734
    Hi there Penny,

    Personally, I'd prefer a casual dinner, but I'm game for anything. I know there is a little diner at the Forks Resort, but I have no idea how the food is. Another option is to pick up some steaks or burgers and have a little cookout at my cabin or whatever I'm sleeping in. I know each unit is supposed to have its own grill and a complete kitchen. The latter option is only open if we are a small group though, there is a "no party" policy at the resort.

    As for the photo exchange, I'll have to search pretty hard for something I've shot that's worth giving as a gift.. I'm sure I can find something though..

    ~B
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  8. #8
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    292
    I would LOVE to go there, esp. to meet others that share a common interest! I've never been to CA. Anyway, I cannot go, the next several months will be crazy for me. I still hope that ya'll can make it happen!



    Kathy

  9. #9
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Dinner Anyone?

    I looked into places to eat and came up with The Mountain House. They are located outside of Oakhurst on the 41. If I'm not mistaken, that's right on the way to (or from) Yosemite for the Bowhays and my crew. They serve a full menu and are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (6AM to 9PM). The prices seemed reasonable and the place was recommended to me by one of the employees of the Forks Resort (which also has a little restaurant if we want to eat there instead).

    Penny & Gene, let me know of this place is OK by you. IF anyone else decides to join us in Yosemite, by all means include your input. For that matter, even if you can't join us, but have some suggestions as to where we can get some good eats feel free to put them on the table.

    42 days and counting...
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  10. #10
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Thanks Gene...

    I'm looking forward to meeting you as well!
    ~B
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  11. #11
    Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,110

    I might actually be there that weekend with my family.

    Let me know details as the time comes. I'd love to hook up with you guys just to meet y'all.
    Last edited by Lionheart; 04-22-2004 at 10:21 PM.
    Seek the Son and the shadows fall behind you.

    slowly inching to 2000

    Mac's Rule, Windblows drools
    Friends don't let Friends use WindBlows XPee
    <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/schrackman/clover.jpg">Lionheart O'Canon Feel Free to Help

  12. #12
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Hey Penny

    For restaurants, check into Yosemite Valley. I know there's a snack bar/restaurant and a small grocery, too. Otherwise, dress up, bite the bullet, and hit the Awanee ;)

    And have fun.

    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  13. #13
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963
    So now that I know about this Yosemite gathering, can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of pricing for hotels? Is there still time to even make a reservation? Is anyone bringing a camper instead of staying in a hotel? Any other info that I should know about? By the way, I too agree on casual dining. So if others are interested in that I'll meet ya at the local McD's, hehe.

    Thanks.

    Ray

  14. #14
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Details

    Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    So now that I know about this Yosemite gathering, can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of pricing for hotels? Is there still time to even make a reservation? Is anyone bringing a camper instead of staying in a hotel? Any other info that I should know about? By the way, I too agree on casual dining. So if others are interested in that I'll meet ya at the local McD's, hehe.

    Thanks.

    Ray
    Mornin' Ray,

    I looked into camping while, but all the sites in Yosemite are already booked up so I went the hotel route. Actually, I rented a 2 bedroom cabin for Fri-Sunday night (check out Monday). It will be me and my two sons, but if you are interested in splitting the cost, they'd be more than happy to sleep on the hide-a-bed and you could have the second bedroom.. The rate is $147.15/night after tax, but I'd let you but in for $55/night. Let me know if you are interested.

    As for meeting up for dinner, we are talking about meeting at a place called The Mountain House. Dress is cassual and the dinner menu offers many options ranging from burgers to prime rib. That doesn't mean we can't hit a Mc D's one of the other nights though..

    Also, we are doing a photo exchange where we all swap prints with the others in attendance. So far it's a pretty limited gathering in that there's just a few of us going. If you decide to go and participate in the swap you'd need a print for Penny, Gene, me and possibly Lionheart if he's able to make it.

    Get back to me about the sharing the cabin and keep an eye on this thread over the next few weeks so we can all share some contact info. If you want to take a look at the place I'm staying check out http://www.theforksresort.com .

    Looking forward to meeting you!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  15. #15
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Thanks for the tip!

    I appreciate your input. I've gotta tell you that I'm sorry you can't be here for this one. I know you enjoy Yosemite and it would be good to see you again.

    Hope all is well with you and enjoy the NYC Gathering!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  16. #16
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Awesome!!!

    I hope you are because I know we would all love to meet you too!

    Are you interested in meeting us all for dinner or are you talking about getting together in the Park for some photography?

    Keep your eye on this thread for further details.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  17. #17
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Thanks bud

    Yes, I love Yosemite and would love to be there. I avoided this thread for a long time to put off feeling the pain ;)

    I guess NY will have to sooth me.

    You guys have a blast in the Mighty Yose Mighty. I'll eagerly await the pics.

    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  18. #18
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Slight correction!

    I meant Yosemite Village, not that that was too hard to figure out ;)

    Rickster
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    5
    I was there about three weeks ago - what a bloody awesome place. Too bad I can't return for a while!

  20. #20
    Senior Member racingpinarello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mountain View,CA
    Posts
    849

    I will be there

    My girlfriend and I will be there for the weekend. We are going to drive up for the day, and then stay out of the park near Bass Lake or something like that.

    I'm up for the Mountain House. We spent last year at the Ahwanee and had dinner there for my birthday. It's a little pricey...but it's a good place for a meeting and having drinks or a snack.

    So when details are set, put my name on the list for at least two days.

    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

    * Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

  21. #21
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Mornin' Ray,

    I looked into camping while, but all the sites in Yosemite are already booked up so I went the hotel route. Actually, I rented a 2 bedroom cabin for Fri-Sunday night (check out Monday). It will be me and my two sons, but if you are interested in splitting the cost, they'd be more than happy to sleep on the hide-a-bed and you could have the second bedroom.. The rate is $147.15/night after tax, but I'd let you but in for $55/night. Let me know if you are interested.

    As for meeting up for dinner, we are talking about meeting at a place called The Mountain House. Dress is cassual and the dinner menu offers many options ranging from burgers to prime rib. That doesn't mean we can't hit a Mc D's one of the other nights though..

    Also, we are doing a photo exchange where we all swap prints with the others in attendance. So far it's a pretty limited gathering in that there's just a few of us going. If you decide to go and participate in the swap you'd need a print for Penny, Gene, me and possibly Lionheart if he's able to make it.

    Get back to me about the sharing the cabin and keep an eye on this thread over the next few weeks so we can all share some contact info. If you want to take a look at the place I'm staying check out http://www.theforksresort.com .

    Looking forward to meeting you!
    ~Brian
    Hi Brian,

    Hey, that's very generous of you and it all sounds great. The only thing is I won't be coming alone but my wife will be with me. Will that pose a problem in sharing the cabin? I'd be more than happy to pay for one whole night as we're only going to need a room for Friday night (we'll be leaving for home late Saturday afternoon).

    Let me know.

    Ray

  22. #22
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Is she hot?

    Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Hi Brian,

    Hey, that's very generous of you and it all sounds great. The only thing is I won't be coming alone but my wife will be with me. Will that pose a problem in sharing the cabin? I'd be more than happy to pay for one whole night as we're only going to need a room for Friday night (we'll be leaving for home late Saturday afternoon).

    Let me know.

    Ray
    Just kidding.

    I don't mind at all, I'll jst make the boys shower at night so that we'll have fewer people needing the bathroom in the morning!

    I plan on leaving Friday around noon so we should be at the cabin sometime between 6 and 8. I really don't know how long it'll take to get there from Laguna Niguel... One never knows how traffic will be through LA, but I don't need to tell you that. I'll check with the main office and see if I can arrange for you to pick up a key if you get there before me.

    Also, just to give you a head's up.. There are no phones or TVs in the cabins. There is a full kitchen though.

    This is going to be a blast!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  23. #23
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    Wooohoooo!!

    I finally get to meet the legendary LOREN!!!

    The place I'm staying is right on Bass Lake so we'll be neighbors!

    I love that this thing is coming together and is beginning to look more like a true "Gathering" instead of "Brian and the Bowhays Visit Yosemite." - Not that that would be bad either ;) -

    Very cool.. Keep an eye on the thread for further updates
    ~Brian

    Current Roster:
    Penny B.
    Gene B.
    Loren & his little lady
    Ray & his beautiful bride
    Brian and his crew (sons)
    and possibly Lionheart and his clan..

    This is looking promising!
    ~B
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

  24. #24
    mooo...wooh hoooh! schrackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Just kidding.

    I don't mind at all, I'll jst make the boys shower at night so that we'll have fewer people needing the bathroom in the morning!

    I plan on leaving Friday around noon so we should be at the cabin sometime between 6 and 8. I really don't know how long it'll take to get there from Laguna Niguel... One never knows how traffic will be through LA, but I don't need to tell you that. I'll check with the main office and see if I can arrange for you to pick up a key if you get there before me.

    Also, just to give you a head's up.. There are no phones or TVs in the cabins. There is a full kitchen though.

    This is going to be a blast!
    ~Brian
    Very good, Brian. Is that 6 or 8 am that you're leaving on Friday? I assume it is. We'll be leaving around that time too, although we might get there a bit earlier than you, seeing that we don't have to pass through LA as you do (we're in the Valley).

    Ray

  25. #25
    Mi tortuga es guapo. Kokopeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunny SoCal (Laguna Niguel CA)
    Posts
    734

    We'd be leaving...

    Around noon on Friday and arriving at the cabin between 6 and 8 PM. My kids need to go to school for part of the day so I can't leave too early.

    Rotten kids.. They always ruin good plans! ;)
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3


    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

    http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. South Beach Gathering -- Photo Exchange
    By Asylum Steve in forum ViewFinder
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 07:00 PM
  2. Anyone up for a Utah Gathering?
    By Kokopeli in forum ViewFinder
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:10 AM
  3. Yosemite Images
    By Dave E. in forum Photo Critique
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 12:14 AM
  4. Yosemite Images
    By Dave E. in forum Photo Critique
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •