ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Who's Using the New Gallery?

I've been checking the new gallery every day. There are tons of photos and the quality of the images posted has gone way up. It's obvious that the new system is inspriing people to post more. But no one is commenting? How come? What's missing? What can I do to make it better?

Gallery >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been checking the new gallery every day. There are tons of photos and the quality of the images posted has gone way up. It's obvious that the new system is inspriing people to post more. But no one is commenting? How come? What's missing? What can I do to make it better?

Gallery >>
    I haven't looked at it in weeks. Too many people posting loads of images and never commenting. I think it might have something to do with no rules being posted, one guy posted a full page of pictures of a school campus. I think guidelines like we have in Critique would help, a certain amount per day, comment as many times as you post images, etc.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Red face Whoops........

Initially I posted images and made comments - and I do enjoy going there, but just don't think about it. It's not "in your face" when checking out the forums.

What can I do to make it better?

Well, I think this was discussed before - and the answer was no. However, here goes. My suggestion would be to put the Gallery link right upfront with the forums; i.e. VF, Helpfiles, etc. I know if I saw it there, I'd be more inclined to think of posting there.
    Just a thought.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

Gallery >>

I know it would involve some expense(I'm sure) and some software changes, but I remember a photo site some years ago where you would have to comment/critique 3 images before you were able to post 1 yourself. That seemed to provide the incentive to write more, post less. I'm as guilty as everyone else in not keeping my gllery updated and not commenting on enough images. I'll do better. :-)

Arrow

I use the gallery; I have three images posted and I look at it every day, sometimes more. I have a link to it in my bookmarks bar because it's too hard to find it from here, and it's too hard to find "here" from there.

I don't comment much because I don't feel qualified. But I WANT comments, because I don't feel qualified. Make sense?

The gallery has sort of an "untouchable" feel to it...like you don't want to crush someone for posting there, sorta because they haven't "officially asked" for comments. And I don't want to just post, "great shot ... great shot ... great shot ..." for everyone, either. And there're so many posts, it's somewhat overwhelming to think you've got to comment on each one. I'll comment if something just blows me away.

I do like the ratings field though. Maybe make it more prominent, and more expected?
    Last edited by opus; 07-23-2004 at 04:30 PM. Reason: because I figured something out that I didn't understand, and so I had to eat my words.

One more thing.

I can't be sure of this, but if you link your picture to three different categories, and someone comments in one category, do you see the comments in the other two categories?

Reason I ask: I posted a picture under "abstracts" when I first posted there. I didn't really understand how the "other categories" worked, so, since my "abstract" photo was actually a picture of landforms, I linked it to "landscapes". Once it was posted, though, I figured out that the image appears in all categories that you link it to. But then I couldn't figure out how to delete it from the other one.

Well, I got a comment (my only comment on any of my pix, I think), that the person couldn't get a focal point on the photo and therefore couldn't rate it. He said it would work as an abstract, though.

I was confused, because the image *was* an abstract, and then I thought, "ahh, he must be looking at it from the "landscape category." But when I clicked over to the landscape category, the same image said, "no comments."

So now I don't know if I've gotten comments from the other categories. To be honest, I've forgotten which categories I chose for the three photos, and I don't think it tells me. So I can't go look up all the categories because I've forgotten.

I hope I've made this clear, so that if you understand the problems I just described, maybe you can fix them.

~kelly

I have posted one picture in my gallery there, no comments though.

I said this from the start that still having the Photo Critique forum and having the gallery forum in my opinion will not work.

Reason, people see the Critique Forum, go there and use that. The link should be to the galleries, basically I think it should be one or the other, you can't have both.

I know, others have differing opinions and I respect that, but you can see it is just like I predicted when you first posted up the galleries.

I have my own gallery website and post images there.

I like Charles Hess's suggestion of making comments before you can post images, and yes there should be a flood of images like he commented as well. Space has got to give out sometime and it must effect bandwidth as well at some point.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I Use It!!

I have to date 78 images in my Gallery - I love it I am currently the 4th highest poster to the galleries I also have it bookmarked and I go there every day.

I use it as you suggested, PJ - it is my online portfolio. I bring it up on people's computers a lot so they can see my work. I just haven't gotten around to emailing it or linking to it yet in emails.

My gallery has lots of views and lots of comments. Thanks to all!

- Make it easier to find.
    - I also wondered about whether or not comments show up in all the categories the image was posted in. I would like to be able to go to the My Gallery page and see ALL the comments that have been posted for an image, instead of having to click on all the individual categories and chase down all my images to see if they were commented on.
    - You fixed the "email a link" feature - thanks!
    - Once I get out of the thumbnail page, it's difficult to get BACK to the thumbail page after I have clicked on several images in succession. Other people (non-photographers that I have shared my gallery with) have gotten confused with the navigation as well.
    - It may be asking a lot but it would be nice if its URL was www.photographyreview.com/galleries/walterick or something simple like that

Overall, I love the layout and think it's a wonderful idea to have it. I consistently post comments on others' images as well, so I don't feel I am hogging too much bandwith Thanks for a great gallery!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

But I see the gallery's purpose differently. I think the "Critique" forum is a place to post a specific image at a time, maybe something you really love but need to know if others share your enthusiasm for the image, or maybe something you really need help with.

I see the gallery as being a place where you can post your favorite work just to show it, or to participate in the "category" or the "challenge". For instance, for the "windows" topic, I had an image that I thought was interesting and different, and it has gotten lots of positive comments from friends about its unique subject. It's not my favorite shot or my best shot, but it *is* an interesting take on the "windows" category. So I wanted to include it, not for critique, but to share my unique viewpoint.

~kelly

Kelly, which in a way become a critique. Comments that are posted no matter in a gallery or a critique forum, are just that by the nature of the wording, Critiques (Comments), a play on words isn't it.

I don't disagree with what others like you have and are saying, but I find it a little confusing.

You look warm in your avatar photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS

You look warm in your avatar photo.
    Peter, it's even funny for me to see my avatar. It's summer here, and yesterday was really hot, so every time I saw one of my own posts I thought, "I'm a freak, bundled up like that on a day like today."

That photo was actually taken while I was in San Diego, where it's supposed to be warm. But the temperature plummeted in the evening and I wasn't very prepared.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Kelly,

It's quite cold here in Sydney Australia at present, being in the middle of Winter. Everyone is sort of celebrating Chrismas in July here, so they can enjoy the traditional Chrismas food, that isn't really that pleasant in 95 degree heat.

I thought you Avatar was actually quite amusing as well, not actually realising where or when it was taken.

Thread Information